AP top 25 out on 10/22

3 hours ago, NCHoosier32 said:

i understand it's only important at the end, but the higher we climb now, the better we can stay up when we get some B1G losses.  when i say we climb to 19, that is what i was taking into account.  looks like a great chance that teams between 21-15 will lose over the next two weeks.  

I tend to see this similarly, though AP ranking is largely a popularity contest among "journalists" who often are simply unfamiliar with the teams and their schedules etc., nonetheless, we want our U to get the recognition it deserves and yes, the higher your ranking the better your ability to remain in the rankings or well ranked while taking losses. 

The B1G is going to be a real gauntlet. Good to be ranked and ranked well going into it.

• Replies 237
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

Maybe it was covered in earlier messages but do these voters realize we beat Marquette by 23? Trying to figure that one out. Or are pollsters saying their 2 wins over Wiscy and KState trump our dominating win over them?

The W over Wiscy is a good one, but wouldn't look for rational reasons for rankings, it's just journalists casting votes often without any knowledge, see PU and UK etc.

28 minutes ago, Hoosierhoopster said:

The W over Wiscy is a good one, but wouldn't look for rational reasons for rankings, it's just journalists casting votes often without any knowledge, see PU and UK etc.

Ohio St. really has me scratching my head.  Yeah, I know I keep pointing out that they won at Cincy and Creighton.  But there is no way in hell they are the 15th best team in the country right now.

1 hour ago, Hoosierhoopster said:

I tend to see this similarly, though AP ranking is largely a popularity contest among "journalists" who often are simply unfamiliar with the teams and their schedules etc., nonetheless, we want our U to get the recognition it deserves and yes, the higher your ranking the better your ability to remain in the rankings or well ranked while taking losses. 

The B1G is going to be a real gauntlet. Good to be ranked and ranked well going into it.

There are a lot of the writers/journalists that get it right, with slight variations based on personal opinion.  For those that have a vote, but are not properly following the sport, shame on them.

11 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

There are a lot of the writers/journalists that get it right, with slight variations based on personal opinion.  For those that have a vote, but are not properly following the sport, shame on them.

Really?  I point to the preseason poll.  They hardly got anything right.  

36 minutes ago, rico said:

Really?  I point to the preseason poll.  They hardly got anything right.  

I don't think pre-season should count that heavily against a voter.  But. by now, voters have enough information to not have ballots that deviate from the norm by a significant amount.  

Terry Hutchens, for instance,  submitted a ballot where no pick deviates more than 4 spots from the team''s actual ranking (deviations of 5 or more are flagged on the site).  It appears Terry is taking his ballot seriously based on how his compares to the totality of all ballots that were submitted.

https://collegepolltracker.com/basketball/pollster/terry-hutchens/2018/week-7

11 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

I don't think pre-season should count that heavily against a voter.  But. by now, voters have enough information to not have ballots that deviate from the norm by a significant amount.  

Terry Hutchens, for instance,  submitted a ballot where no pick deviates more than 4 spots from the team''s actual ranking (deviations of 5 or more are flagged on the site).  It appears Terry is taking his ballot seriously based on how his compares to the totality of all ballots that were submitted.

https://collegepolltracker.com/basketball/pollster/terry-hutchens/2018/week-7

Oh, so he voted for Kentucky?  Nice.  Not buying it Bro.

2 hours ago, rico said:

Ohio St. really has me scratching my head.  Yeah, I know I keep pointing out that they won at Cincy and Creighton.  But there is no way in hell they are the 15th best team in the country right now.

Haven't watched a second of OSU bball this year, but I think it's a good thing for us in the long run to see so many Big Ten teams ranked right now (whether they deserve it or not). If we do well in the Big Ten this year, I'd say we're hopefully looking at a top 3-4 seed in the tourney this year with so many qualities wins we would have raked in. Now, performing well is the hard part!

1 hour ago, 5fouls said:

UK isn't #2 in the country by any means, but they probably do belong in the 20-30 range in the rankings.

Meh, odds say they enter conference play with out any quality wins.  Their current resume does not warrant being ranked.  

5 minutes ago, CauseThatsMyDJ said:

Can’t see us moving up in the polls on Monday. Arizona State and Buffalo the only teams that lost, and they both also have quality wins. 

Ummm....didn't ASU get blown out by Vandy?  But I agree, IU will stand pat or possibly go down.

38 minutes ago, NCHoosier32 said:

KY and AZ St. winning hurt.  can't see why we'd drop, but probably staying right where we are.  let's hope for the upset of KY @ Louisville this week and VT vs. ND and TT @ WV.  need to move up a little before the Michigan L.

Before the Michigan loss?  Hell, we ain't even played it yet.

Archived