AP top 25 out on 10/22

4 hours ago, Fundamentals said:

2.  Why does it still bother me IU is not being recognized even though I know point 1 is true?

Because we no longer get the benefit of the doubt from the media and coaches. There was a time when IU being unranked to start a season was crazy. Now our fans are the only people who notice.

• Replies 237
  • Created
  • Last Reply
13 hours ago, BEKA said:

Wouldn't be so sure that a L at Cameron Indoor would knock us back out of the rankings given this scenario. If we win 2 this week and play Duke respectably AT Duke, I think this team stays around the 22-25 range, maybe even higher. Of course, polls this early in the season are hard to read and I could be completely wrong, so there's that. 

see.. in college bball i think if you're #24 or #25 which we would be, any loss will temporarily bump you out.  i don't necessarily agree that it should, but i think we'd be out, but then we'll win a couple more and jump right back in.  let's just hope we win the next 2!

12 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

If you want to know who is voting Purdue ahead of IU, in the AP poll here are links to the votes cast for each team.

https://collegepolltracker.com/basketball/team/indiana-hoosiers/2018

https://collegepolltracker.com/basketball/team/purdue-boilermakers/2018

Have to like Feinstein

https://collegepolltracker.com/basketball/pollster/john-feinstein/2018/pre-season

33 minutes ago, dwtaylor1055 said:

So PU loses to a higher ranked opponent by 6 at a neutral court and moves up 4 spots?  Not so sure I agree with that.  Sure keep them at their same spot but no way do they move up IMO. 

They are overrated.  It is what it is.  Because of recent history, IU is going to have to prove it on the floor before IU gets respect and the benefit of the doubt.

2 minutes ago, FKIM01 said:

They are overrated.  It is what it is.  Because of recent history, IU is going to have to prove it on the floor before IU gets respect and the benefit of the doubt.

agree 100%, only road tests I think we will have a chance at earning some respect before Big 10 play begins will be if we make the Duke game close, and the crossroads classic against Butler. 

44 minutes ago, dwtaylor1055 said:

So PU loses to a higher ranked opponent by 6 at a neutral court and moves up 4 spots?  Not so sure I agree with that.  Sure keep them at their same spot but no way do they move up IMO. 

I agree.  Those would have been our spots for the taking. It's hard telling how high we would have been had we won. 

The college rankings polls are over reliant on where the team starts and winning.  KenPom and similar polls are less so especially as the season progresses.

Even though we had a good victory v. Marquettte, we started in the "well-regarded" category.  The loss to Arkansas though to a decent team away kept us in the "well-regarded" category.  Purdue was already in top 25 and lost but to a top 10 team.  Hence, they didn't lose much ground in the polls.

Archived