Minnesota Pregame Thread

These are the kind of games we need to start consistently winning.  Of course it would be nice to knock off OSU, PSU, Mich, MSU, or Wisc, but that isn't going to happen very often.  We need to start winning the games we have a 40-60% chance of winning.  The biggest difference in our program will be winning those 40-60% games about 70% of the time.  Last year we lost to Maryland and Purdue in these kind of games and it killed our season.  We have 3 of those kind of games remaining, so we need to win 2 of them.

8 minutes ago, rico said:

Does anybody know why this is a Friday night game?

In 2017, the B1G decided to hold six Friday night games for the next five years, in an effort to generate more income for the conference.  It just so happens that this is IU's turn for one of those Friday night games.

Just stating the fact.  As when this was announced, I was as much against it, as I am now. 

4 minutes ago, milehiiu said:

In 2017, the B1G decided to hold six Friday night games for the next five years, in an effort to generate more income for the conference.  It just so happens that this is IU's turn for one of those Friday night games.

Just stating the fact.  As when this was announced, I was as much against it, as I am now. 

TY, somehow I never knew that.  I don't like it either.  Heck, from the state of Indiana's pov, we are playing HS play-off football right now.

^^^ The B1G does not care about HS play-off football in Indiana. All they care about is the additional tv revenue the agreement generates for the conference.  Heck, just after it was announced, many of the BIG coaches even came out against playing on Friday nights.

Edit to add link :

Why Big Ten coaches aren’t happy about Friday night games - SBNation.com

1 hour ago, milehiiu said:

1 hour ago, rico said:

Does anybody know why this is a Friday night game?

14 hours ago, MrsStoller said:

Ugh, I didn’t realize this was a Friday night game. I hate Friday night college football games. Horrible idea. But let’s get the W!

Friday night college games are short sighted revenue grabs. They take away from the ability of the high school’s players to watch the program, they conflict with coaches at the high school level who consider that their sacred turf time, and personally I think putting a top tier league in a high school time slot harms the market value of the college game by placing it at a high school level. That said, it does provide viewership where you aren’t competing for viewers who have more options. Whether the good outweighs the bad will take years to determine. But, if we are going to do this, I would much prefer to split up the college games between Saturday and Sunday and not watch pro games. If the days/slots are no longer protected and we are willing to take away from another level, let it be the pro level. I guarantee that if you started placing four or five top tier college games on Sunday that the pro viewers would drop and the college games would be through the roof.

1 hour ago, milehiiu said:

Ive noticed in just about all facets of life money will eventually be top priority.   Traditions be damned.  I cant imagine they can make enough revenue to even justify friday night games.

1 hour ago, mrflynn03 said:

Ive noticed in just about all facets of life money will eventually be top priority.   Traditions be damned.  I cant imagine they can make enough revenue to even justify friday night games.

Friday night games are part of the 2017 renegotiated contract with ABC/ESPN and FOX that are the driving motivation for games on Friday night.  Though not broken out for Friday games, the total package, which again included games on Friday night has driven BIG football revenue to nearly the top in the nation.  It's not the attendance, but the tv revenue.  Keep, in mind, that the B1G distributes the tv revenue equally among all member schools.  When Maryland and Rutgers first joined the B1G, they were not part of the participation.  They are now, which is another reason , in my estimation,  why we have B1G football on Friday nights.

Big Ten's Rights Deal Threatens To Widen Financial Gap Between Even The Biggest Conferences

Every Big Ten program's gross revenue for  2016

Archived