2019 KenPom

4 minutes ago, Hoosierhoopster said:

We need Rob for the MD game, don't know if we'll have him. If we do, I think we pull it out.

For the most part, KenPom focused on road v. home games. I think we pull out the home game against UM and probably the home game against MSU -- but caveat is that we're healthy, with Rob back for both and not down another key player. We're a better team than the way Ken Pom is projecting, imo, he's not factoring in health and is still looking at pre-season stuff (right?)

You would think and kenpom said the preseason formula tapers off until Jan 28th.  Gotta think no one has the time to go in a factor in health.  That's the biggest piece that has been hindering this team.   Consistency and once they get a healthy squad it going to real nice.  

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply
26 minutes ago, ArchieBall13 said:

There are so many different ranking systems out there now. I've got a clarification question...is the NET ranking what the committee will use this year 100 percent? Or less percent with other rankings in as well? 

That’s why the ranking systems mean nothing now.

Mid- March is when to start paying attention to them

29 minutes ago, Steubenhoosier said:

That’s why the ranking systems mean nothing now.

Mid- March is when to start paying attention to them

Yea, I'm just trying to understand what metrics the committee will value most come selection Sunday (or if they publicly even say we primarily derive our seeding this year from NET or Kenpom, etc.). They may never say this publicly, but was curious 

1 hour ago, ArchieBall13 said:

Yea, I'm just trying to understand what metrics the committee will value most come selection Sunday (or if they publicly even say we primarily derive our seeding this year from NET or Kenpom, etc.). They may never say this publicly, but was curious 

I’ll try to find it. They will be able to consider multiple ranking services. 

1 hour ago, ArchieBall13 said:

Basically the NET replaces the RPI.  Here is an article.

https://www.ncaa.com/news/basketball-men/article/2018-11-26/net-explained-ncaa-adopts-new-college-basketball-ranking

17 hours ago, ArchieBall13 said:

https://www.ncaa.com/news/basketball-men/article/2018-11-26/net-explained-ncaa-adopts-new-college-basketball-ranking

image.png.eca5c39749bbea0c4811f9f6dcec7b7b.png

So the committee will consider:

Here's how IU ranks in each of these services:

• NET: 23
  • KenPom: 23
  • KPI: 104
  • Strength of Record: 21
  • BPI: 28
  • Sagarin: 14

KPI seems to be bizarre. If you average all six of these, that puts us at 36, which would be a 9 seed. If you drop top (Sagarin) and bottom (KPI), that puts us at 24, which would be a 6 seed.

7 minutes ago, CauseThatsMyDJ said:

image.png.eca5c39749bbea0c4811f9f6dcec7b7b.png

So the committee will consider:

Here's how IU ranks in each of these services:

• NET: 23
  • KenPom: 23
  • KPI: 104
  • Strength of Record: 21
  • BPI: 28
  • Sagarin: 14

KPI seems to be bizarre. If you average all six of these, that puts us at 36, which would be a 9 seed. If you drop top (Sagarin) and bottom (KPI), that puts us at 24, which would be a 6 seed.

That KPI rank is from last season.

And I don't know about you all but I've never heard of that one.

Go Hoosiers!!!

• 2 weeks later...
56 minutes ago, KDB said:

Sure about that Peegs?  Oklahoma went on a 6 game losing streak last February and made the tourney at 18-13 after losing in the first round of the Big 12 tournament.  Depending on how the bubble shapes up, I could see us sneaking in with 18 wins.  Will be interesting to see how the NET rankings affect things.

8 hours ago, FW_Hoosier said:

Sure about that Peegs?  Oklahoma went on a 6 game losing streak last February and made the tourney at 18-13 after losing in the first round of the Big 12 tournament.  Depending on how the bubble shapes up, I could see us sneaking in with 18 wins.  Will be interesting to see how the NET rankings affect things.

Exactly. The NET is going to drive a lot of this and IU is pretty solid there. 

https://mobile.twitter.com/DelphiBrackets/status/1088486009824837633

8 hours ago, FW_Hoosier said:

Just came across this. Glad someone else brought up Oklahoma from last year. 

1 minute ago, Billingsley99 said:

It just sucks 3 weeks ago we are talking about 4 or 5 seed now its can we even get in. There is no better time than tonight to get this ship righted.

If tourney started today I believe we're in. With that said I'd rather secure a few more high quality wins as we head into February. Starting with tonight. I don't want to have to be closet Louisville and Marquette/Butler fans all year long....which of course I will be. 

14 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

If tourney started today I believe we're in. With that said I'd rather secure a few more high quality wins as we head into February. Starting with tonight. I don't want to have to be closet Louisville and Marquette/Butler fans all year long....which of course I will be. 

True. I have been pulling for all 3 for some time now.

39 minutes ago, BGleas said:

Exactly. The NET is going to drive a lot of this and IU is pretty solid there. 

https://mobile.twitter.com/DelphiBrackets/status/1088486009824837633

Oklahoma did have six wins over ranked teams last year, and three of those were against top 10 teams, so they had better wins than we do currently.  Probably gonna have to get a few wins against Michigan, Purdue, Wisconsin, and MSU to boost the resume.  Luckily we have home games against all of them.

Archived