Penix Recovery Updates

Sucks to hear, but it isn't the worst thing in the world.  We were probably going to redshirt him anyways which meant he'd only play in 1 more game this year.  Losing the practice time isn't ideal, but it should give him extra time to look back on his freshman year and really work on the mental aspect of playing QB.  Glad to hear he should be ready by June.

I have to admit though, I'm giddy about possibly seeing Taylor at QB.  I've been talking about it since he committed, and I think he could be special there.

30 minutes ago, hoopsta007 said:

Any guesses if Taylor sees QB action, or is it all Ramsey?

Thinking he would need some reps in practice.  However, after having already played in 7 games, he is not eligible for the new redshirt rule.   So after awhile..... why not ? 

Especially if Phenix is not ready to go at the start of next season. 

30 minutes ago, hoopsta007 said:

Any guesses if Taylor sees QB action, or is it all Ramsey?

I'm thinking only Ramsey unless it is a blow out.  This would be a perfect chance for Taylor to come in for a few plays here and there, or even an entire series with mostly runs and the occasional pass (think Diamont his last couple years).  It would be nice to get his feet wet in favorable situations.  I don't think DeBord is creative enough or takes enough risks to actually do it though.

7 minutes ago, milehiiu said:

Thinking he would need some reps in practice.  However, after having already played in 7 games, he is not eligible for the new redshirt rule.   So after awhile..... why not ? 

Especially if Phenix is not ready to go at the start of next season. 

I said at the beginning of the year that I wanted them to have Taylor get a lot of reps at QB for exactly these reasons.  We knew he'd be too dynamic to redshirt this year, so I wanted him ready to go in at QB in case of injury so we save Penix's redshirt.  If Ramsey would have been banged up and needed a possession off, I would gladly throw Taylor out there instead of using one of Penix's 4 game. Turns out we didn't need it, but he's now next man up.  I don't know how many reps he's had, but hopefully he's ready to run at least a limited offense.

Plus, I think he's really going to surprise if he gets the chance.  Why not give him a look.

Wasn’t that tough a hit, but he is a young kid needing more muscle and he had a defender come down kind of on top when his knee was hitting the turf. I assume that was the knee injured. It might turn out to be a blessing because they were going to lose the red shirt year and he needs another year at least building up muscle. As much as they roll qb’s in an out I have no doubt Taylor has been getting work, but this hurts for Minnesota because it forced them to practice for a stronger arm.

8 hours ago, iuthruandthru said:

Dawkins and Tronti could of had a chance if they stuck it out (ignoring Dawkins personal issues which I don’t want to make light of).  Never k ow what is gonna happen.

Get better and work hard on that rehab Penix! 

Dawkins yes..Tronti I don't think so. By most accounts he was behind Ramsey, Penix, and Dawkins...he saw the writing on the wall

5 hours ago, hoosier8760 said:

Dawkins yes..Tronti I don't think so. By most accounts he was behind Ramsey, Penix, and Dawkins...he saw the writing on the wall

Good point some don’t leave by their choice alone in major college sports.  But either way with so many switches and injuries the 2nd and third man up can see playing time.

Side question I feel is associated with this thread, do we have any potential QB for next year?  I would expect Penix to make a full recovery but at this point I don’t see how IU wouldn’t want to bring in another qb for next year.  Allow Penix time to heal if he needs longer than expected and also add more depth as it doesn’t seem Taylor will stay at QB past this year.

11 minutes ago, iuthruandthru said:

Side question I feel is associated with this thread, do we have any potential QB for next year?  I would expect Penix to make a full recovery but at this point I don’t see how IU wouldn’t want to bring in another qb for next year.  Allow Penix time to heal if he needs longer than expected and also add more depth as it doesn’t seem Taylor will stay at QB past this year.

We currently have three offers out to uncommitted QBs for 2019. David Baldwin is "warm" on IU:

https://247sports.com/player/jayden-daniels-89980/

https://247sports.com/player/lance-legendre-86454/

https://247sports.com/player/david-baldwin-93015/

• 3 months later...

Archived