A look at the Wisconsin Badgers for 2017-2018 !!

Going into the 2015-2016 season , The Badgers were coming off a season where the went 36 & 4 !! They only had ONE Senior coming back for 2015-2016 ! They only had 2 starters coming back ! They finished with 13 LOSSES for 2015-2016 !!Going into the 2016-2017 season , they were coming off that 22 & 13 season !! They had 4 Seniors and all 5 starters coming back ! They finished at 27 & 10 !! 

Going into the 2017-2018 season , The Badgers only have one Senior coming back and he is a walk on who only averaged 2/10 th.s of a point per game last year !1 They only have one Starter  coming back ,Ethan Happ, who averaged 14 PPG ! The rest of the Badgers returning, scorers 5.9 , 1.9 , 1.3 , 2.2 , 3.9 , and 1.3 ppg !! Lindy's Magazine has The Badgers finishing 7th. in the B10 this season while they have IU finishing 12th in the B10 this season !! Not so fast , as Lee Corso is wont to say !! IU has TWO starters coming back and a total of 96 STARTS from last season returning for 2017-2018 !! The Badgers only have a total of 39 STARTS coming back for 2017-2018 and one player [ Happ] had 37 of those 39 STARTS !!!!!Here is IU's retutning players 

Starter:Robert Johnson 12.8 PPG

Starter: Josh Newkirk 9 ppg ly !

Juwan Morgan [actually had 20 starts last year ] 7.7 ppg 

Deron Davis [ had 4 starts ly]5.9 ppg.

Devonte Green [had 3 starts ly]4.4 ppg

Curtis Jones [had one start ly] 3.5 ppg 

Freddie McSwain[had one start ly]2.7 ppg

Tim Priller 2.1 ppg

Zach McRoberts [ had 3 Starts ly] .8 ppg

Then , when you add in 6'7&1/2 " Collin Hartman who averaded 5 ppg and 3.1 rebounds per game in 2015 -2016  and the fact that Collin started at least 4 times during that 2015-2016 season , you have players returning for 2017-2018 that have a combined START TOTAL of over 100 STARTS !! Finally , when you look at IU's current roster , you will see a Trasfer student from Wabash College who averaged over 15 points per game at Wabash while starting at POINT GUARD AS A TRUE FRESHMAN in his one season at Wabash , Johnny Jager !1 I could be wrong [ I sometimes am ,vbg } But , I think Johnny Jager is a much better player than some Hoosier Fans might think !! I saw the kid play at Bloomington South High School when I was still living in Bloominton !! ONly time will tell tell , but I believe Jager's point guard skills will fit in nicely with coach  Miller's approach to REDUCING TURNOVERS !! At any rate, If the Badgers do finish higher in the B10 than IU in 2017-2018 I am going to urge the NCAA to investigate The Badgers for giving PEDS to their players , VBG !!!

P.S. I forgot to mention : Johnson and Newkirk both made 32 STARTS for IU last season !!

I did a little more research on both Hartmann and Jager for IU !! Hartmann actually STARTED 24 GAMES in 2015-2016 saeson for The Hoosiers ! He averaged playing 21.9 minutes per game ! He made 35.8 % of his 3 point FG attempts and 45.1 & overall for all shot attempts ! He averaged 5 points and 3.1 rebounds per game .  He also averaged 1.7 assist per game  , .8 steals per game and .3 blocks per game !  Johnny Jager STARTED ALL 26 games he played as a TRUE FRESHMAN at Wabash College !! Jager finished second in team scoring at Wabash with 15 points per game ! Jager also averaged 5.5 ASSISTS PER GAME   , [142 total assists] ,2.5 STEALS per game , and even averaged 2.4 REBOUNDS per game . Finally , Jager actually scored 32 POINTS in one game at Wabash !!  Neither of these 2 players were given 4 or 5 star ratings coming out of high school but I think they are good players to have on your roster  !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

By comparison :: Josh Newkirk led IU with only 108 ASSISTS last season for an average of 3.18 assists per game ! Jager had 142 assists for an average of 5.5 assists per game in his True Freshman season at Wabash ! I realize the competition level is much higher at IU than it was at Wabash !  However . I am really hoping to see if Jager's ball handling skills merits him some PLAYING TIME AT IU ????????? ONLY 17 MORE DAYS until IU's first EXHIBITION GAME !! I can hardly wait !!!

P.S. When you add in Hartmann's 24 starts in 2015-2016 for IU  and Jager's 26 starts at Wabash  in 2015-2016 , IU will have players on their 2017-2018 ROSTER that combined for 146 STARTS in their collective previous season of playing time ! Wisconsin ONLY has a total of 39 returning starts compared to IU's 146 returning starts !! HMNN !! Wisconsin picked to finish 7th. in the B10 in 2017-2018 while IU is picked to finish  12 in the B10 ?????? I wish I had some money in the bank so I could bet some MONEY AGAINST THAT HAPPENING !!!!!! ( I never make a bet unless I have the funds to cover that bet !!) Go Hoosiers -Prove the so called experts WRONG in 2017-2018 !!!!

Fist of all . I really like and RESPECT Jager as a player !! Secondly !! Wisconsin only has one SENIOR on their ROSTER and he is a walk on who averaged only .2 of a point per game last season !!

First: Here is what Wisconsin does not have back 4 STARTERS ,including their # 1 , # 2 , #4 and # 5 SCORERS who combined to play a total of 113.3 minutes per game ( or an average of 28.425 minutes per game !!

Secondly: Here is what Wisconsin has coming back !!

D'Mitrik Trice- 5.6 ppg and 18.3 mpg , Khalil Iverson 3.9 ppg and 15.3 mpg ,  Charles Thomas 2.2 ppg and 6.3 mpg , Brevin Pritzl 1.9 ppg & 8.1 mpg. , Andy Van Vliet 1.3 ppg & 3.4 mpg , Alex Illikainen 1.3 ppg & 8.3 mpg , t. J Schlundt .2 ppg & 1.6 mpg , Aaron Moesch .2 ppg & 2.2 mpg , and [finally Matt Ferris o ppg &  1 mpg !! The Badgers averaged 72 points per game [ppg] !! They lost  45.4 points per game of that 72 points per game ( or THEY LOST 62.5 % of their scoring and a TON OF EXPERIENCE) ! I can't remember when The Badgers had this much LACK of EXPERIENCE returning !!  Surely , this will be IU's year to surpass those pesky Badgers ???????????

P.S. Here is more:: The Badgers only return TWO players with STARTING EXPERIENCE !! Ethan Happ with 37 Starts and another player with only TWO STARTS !! By comparison , IU has TWO SENIOR RETURNING STARTING GUARDS with 64 Combined STARTS !! BTW, Juwan Morgan also has TWENTY STARTS for The Hoosiers !! ONLY TIME will tell , but [ON PAPER]-there is no way that anyone should seriously consider The Badgers as being BETTER than The Indiana HOOSIERS in 2017-2018 !!  One good thing about The Hoosiers being picked to finish so LOW is that " IT IS EASIER TO SNEAK UP ON SOMEONE IF THEY DON'T SEE OR EXPECT YOU TO COME " VBG !! At any rate- It is only  NINE MORE DAYS UNTIL THE HOOSIERS TIP IT OFF WITH MARIAN COLLEGE  !!!! ( I spelled Marian with an A instead of an O ,VBG !!)

1 hour ago, hoosiertildeath said:

Fist of all . I really like and RESPECT Jager as a player !! Secondly !! Wisconsin only has one SENIOR on their ROSTER and he is a walk on who averaged only .2 of a point per game last season !!

First: Here is what Wisconsin does not have back 4 STARTERS ,including their # 1 , # 2 , #4 and # 5 SCORERS who combined to play a total of 113.3 minutes per game ( or an average of 28.425 minutes per game !!

Secondly: Here is what Wisconsin has coming back !!

D'Mitrik Trice- 5.6 ppg and 18.3 mpg , Khalil Iverson 3.9 ppg and 15.3 mpg ,  Charles Thomas 2.2 ppg and 6.3 mpg , Brevin Pritzl 1.9 ppg & 8.1 mpg. , Andy Van Vliet 1.3 ppg & 3.4 mpg , Alex Illikainen 1.3 ppg & 8.3 mpg , t. J Schlundt .2 ppg & 1.6 mpg , Aaron Moesch .2 ppg & 2.2 mpg , and [finsally Matt Ferris o ppg &  1 mpg !! The Badgers averaged 72 points per game [ppg] !! They lost  45.4 points per game of that 72 points per game ( or THEY LOST 62.5 % of their scoring and a TON OF EXPERIENCE) ! I can't remember when The Badgers had this much LACK of EXPERIENCE returning !!  Surely , this will be IU's year to surpass those pesky Badgers ???????????

P.S. Here is more:: The Badgers only return TWO players with STARTING EXPERIENCE !! Ethan Happ with 37 Starts and another player with only TWO STARTS !! By comparison , IU has TWO SENIOR RETURNING STARTING GUARDS with 64 Combined STARTS !! BTW, Juwan Morgan also has TWENTY STARTS for The Hoosiers !! ONLY TIME will tell , but [ON PAPER]-there is no way that anyone should seriously consider The Badgers as being BETTER than The Indiana HOOSIERS in 2017-2018 !!  One good thing about The Hoosiers being picked to finish so LOW is that " IT IS EASIER TO SNEAK UP ON SOMEONE IF THEY DON'T SEE OR EXPECT YOU TO COME " VBG !! At any rate- It is only  NINE MORE DAYS UNTIL THE HOOSIERS TIP IT OFF WITH MARIAN COLLEGE  !!!! ( I spelled Marian with an A instead of an O ,VBG !!)

Happ is obviously really good, but count me among those that believe IU will finish ahead of Wisconsin once all of the dust settles.

Also- One thing IU has that Wisconsin does not  have !! That is a HIGHER RATED incoming FRESHMAN Recruit for 2017-2018 !! 6'7" Freshman  Forward , Justin Smith , is rated the 28th. BEST incoming FRESHMAN in the entire country ( By one pre season magazine ,anyway ) Wisconsin's highest ranking incoming Freshman according to this same source is only # 52 in the Nation !! # 52 is not all that bad  , but he better be awesome considering what The Badgers lost from last season's Badger squad !!

P.S  ONLY 8 MORE DAYS UNTIL " ARCHIE AND THE GANG  " tip off the 2017-2018 SEASON !!  I CAN HARDLY WAIT !!

Archived