Maryland Pre Game thread

Reacher

Wonder if distractions there will be an issue next week-

https://wtop.com/ncaa-football/2018/10/report-culture-inside-u-md-football-program-not-toxic/

"A source said at the end of Tuesday’s meeting, a majority of the board was in favor of seeing the school move on from both football coach DJ Durkin and athletic director Damon Evans. How that will come about — and at what cost — still needs to be worked out.

It also still appears that University of Maryland President Wallace Loh will eventually be departing as well."

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 2 weeks later...
49 minutes ago, rico said:

I really don't know how to view this Terp team.  They are wounded right now but they laid an egg yesterday.  And yes turtles lay eggs.

They beat ranked Texas but got blown out to Temple. Points scored each week in their last seven games: 14, 42, 21, 34, 0, 63, 3. They're all over the board and I agree, they're hard to gauge week to week. One would hope Indiana could take care of business, but we might have to hope to catch them on an off-week.

54 minutes ago, The Hoosier Sound said:

They beat ranked Texas but got blown out to Temple. Points scored each week in their last seven games: 14, 42, 21, 34, 0, 63, 3. They're all over the board and I agree, they're hard to gauge week to week. One would hope Indiana could take care of business, but we might have to hope to catch them on an off-week.

They are a strange one to figure out.  

They aren’t really that hard to figure out, though. The season opening Texas game is the only exception. 

Their big wins:

Minnesota

Rutgers

Illinois 

(aka the dregs of the B1G)

Their big losses:

Michigan 

Iowa

Michigan State

(actual teams with a pulse)

given our own performances against Rutgers and Minnesota, we really shouldn’t be confident going in to this one.

9 hours ago, CauseThatsMyDJ said:

They aren’t really that hard to figure out, though. The season opening Texas game is the only exception. 

Their big wins:

Minnesota

Rutgers

Illinois 

(aka the dregs of the B1G)

Their big losses:

Michigan 

Iowa

Michigan State

(actual teams with a pulse)

given our own performances against Rutgers and Minnesota, we really shouldn’t be confident going in to this one.

You left Temple off there.

Wow, Minnesota coach, Fleck fired his DC after the Illinois game this weekend!!!! I like the message that it sends to his team and the fans all around. Obviously his standards are high. Will coach Allen be doing this soon or at least at the end of the season? 

http://www.fox9.com/news/fleck-fires-defensive-coordinator-promotes-defensive-line-coach

1 hour ago, Artesian_86 said:

Wow, Minnesota coach, Fleck fired his DC after the Illinois game this weekend!!!! I like the message that it sends to his team and the fans all around. Obviously his standards are high. Will coach Allen be doing this soon or at least at the end of the season? 

http://www.fox9.com/news/fleck-fires-defensive-coordinator-promotes-defensive-line-coach

No he won't. Allen is no where close to the coach that Fleck is. Allen should be coaching high school not college. 

31 minutes ago, jefftheref said:

No he won't. Allen is no where close to the coach that Fleck is. Allen should be coaching high school not college. 

Agreed. Fleck is the real deal. I was actually hoping we would hire him away from WMU but instead they offered Allen the job. He'll have Minnesota competing at the top of their division in no time. If we can't beat this Maryland team at home with all they're going through, Allen needs to be fired before he makes it to the locker room. Literally, I would want to see Fred Glass on the side line handing him his notice of termination. 

1 hour ago, Hoosier82 said:

Agreed. Fleck is the real deal. I was actually hoping we would hire him away from WMU but instead they offered Allen the job. He'll have Minnesota competing at the top of their division in no time. If we can't beat this Maryland team at home with all they're going through, Allen needs to be fired before he makes it to the locker room. Literally, I would want to see Fred Glass on the side line handing him his notice of termination. 

Yeah....not. I mean, your post makes perfect sense. IU being the bastion of football excellence as it has over the course of its long and illustrious football history ....Glass would have no problem attracting the highest quality up and coming young coaches. 

Sheesh....smh. In the era of instant gratification, this is example 1A.  Too many examples of programs turning over coaches too frequently and the struggles they have had. Allen may not be the next COY, and he needs to fire Debord. However, he has upgraded the talent level, and by and large the team has been competitive in almost every game. 

2 minutes ago, Steubenhoosier said:

Yeah....not. I mean, your post makes perfect sense. IU being the bastion of football excellence as it has over the course of its long and illustrious football history ....Glass would have no problem attracting the highest quality up and coming young coaches. 

Sheesh....smh. In the era of instant gratification, this is example 1A.  Too many examples of programs turning over coaches too frequently and the struggles they have had. Allen may not be the next COY, and he needs to fire Debord. However, he has upgraded the talent level, and by and large the team has been competitive in almost every game. 

Allen was never qualified nor deserved this job in the first place. It was all based on his over hyped turnaround of the defense during a crisis situation with  the firing of Wilson. We got blown out by Iowa at home (a team Purdue beat) so I'm not sure we were "in that game". Were we in it against OSU? When in the first half? Cool....Our talent has not been upgraded. That's just a lazy analysis of recruiting ratings. If you look at how Allen's classes compared to Wilson's they are relatively the same in BigTen ranking and National ranking. Recruting services are giving kids elevated ratings, if we were actually fishing better talent then why aren't we cracking the top 25 recruiting classes like Purdue is? Oh ya...they're a bastion of football excellence, and we're not. 

Why should I be happy about programs like Minnesota and Purdue getting solid head coaches like Fleck and Brohm when we settle for Allen? Actually look at his resume and tell me how he's qualified for this job before lecturing me on having actual standards for this program.

3 minutes ago, Hoosier82 said:

Allen was never qualified nor deserved this job in the first place. It was all based on his over hyped turnaround of the defense during a crisis situation with  the firing of Wilson. We got blown out by Iowa at home (a team Purdue beat) so I'm not sure we were "in that game". Were we in it against OSU? When in the first half? Cool....Our talent has not been upgraded. That's just a lazy analysis of recruiting ratings. If you look at how Allen's classes compared to Wilson's they are relatively the same in BigTen ranking and National ranking. Recruting services are giving kids elevated ratings, if we were actually fishing better talent then why aren't we cracking the top 25 recruiting classes like Purdue is? Oh ya...they're a bastion of football excellence, and we're not. 

Why should I be happy about programs like Minnesota and Purdue getting solid head coaches like Fleck and Brohm when we settle for Allen? Actually look at his resume and tell me how he's qualified for this job before lecturing me on having actual standards for this program.

-Purdue has a much better football tradition than IU

-By all indications, Allen wants to be the HC at IU. Not many can say that. We had two other coaches that wanted to be here for the long term, Mallory got fired, Hep unfortunately passed

-Yes, recruiting has improved. We have two 4 stars committed for this next class. When is the last time IU could claim that? When was the last time we stole a recruit from Ohio St.?

-You seem to feel the need to make a change without giving Allen a chance to prove himself. Again, look at the results of any program who turns their HC position into a revolving door. Especially in football, it is going to take some time for a HC to build depth, build a program with his players. Scott Frost, prime example. Pat Fitzgerald went 4-8 and 6-6 his first two seasons. Barry Alvarez had never had a HC position when Wisconsin hired him, and went 1-10, 5-6 and 5-6 his first three years.  His resume very similar to Allen's by the way.

-For all the platitudes you give Fleck, I don't see how the performance of his teams have done nothing to suggest he is a program savior. 

You go ahead and keep beating the drum. Sure fire way to set the program back by HC turnover. 

57 minutes ago, Steubenhoosier said:

-Purdue has a much better football tradition than IU

-By all indications, Allen wants to be the HC at IU. Not many can say that. We had two other coaches that wanted to be here for the long term, Mallory got fired, Hep unfortunately passed

-Yes, recruiting has improved. We have two 4 stars committed for this next class. When is the last time IU could claim that? When was the last time we stole a recruit from Ohio St.?

-You seem to feel the need to make a change without giving Allen a chance to prove himself. Again, look at the results of any program who turns their HC position into a revolving door. Especially in football, it is going to take some time for a HC to build depth, build a program with his players. Scott Frost, prime example. Pat Fitzgerald went 4-8 and 6-6 his first two seasons. Barry Alvarez had never had a HC position when Wisconsin hired him, and went 1-10, 5-6 and 5-6 his first three years.  His resume very similar to Allen's by the way.

-For all the platitudes you give Fleck, I don't see how the performance of his teams have done nothing to suggest he is a program savior. 

You go ahead and keep beating the drum. Sure fire way to set the program back by HC turnover. 

Fitzgerald had worked his way up in the program for five years and was already considered the heir apparent to Randy Walker when he died unexpectedly. The Alvarez comparison is nonsense. Alvarez coached at Iowa under Hayden Fry for 7 years and Notre Dame for three (under Lou Holtz) before taking over at Wisconsin. Allen's "resume" is position coach at Ole Miss for 3 years, South Florida DC for 1 and Indiana for 1. Nine years of coaching two of the top programs in NCAA football history is a far better resume then Allen's five year coaching tenure. 

Wilson's class national rankings: 55, 57, 42 (3 four star recruits), 48, 53, 53

Tom Allen's class national rankings: 62, 49, 39 (if it holds). I'll give credit where credit is due with the 2019 class and getting James to commit but he has to keep these commitments and if we can't beat this Maryland team at home we sure as hell can't beat Michigan or Purdue and will finish the season with 4 wins. You don't think we'll see some recruits jumping ship after 6 straight losses?

Wilson built a competitive team from nothing and dominated Purdue (also what tradition? Joe Tiller's one conference title?) and handed it over to Wilson who has shown me nothing that he's capable of being the leader of a D1 program. Some guys are simply better off being a career coordinator. It's not that I don't agree with you in that high HC turnover is a bad look but keeping a guy who can't win is not better than trying to find a guy who can.

38 minutes ago, Hoosier82 said:

Fitzgerald had worked his way up in the program for five years and was already considered the heir apparent to Randy Walker when he died unexpectedly. The Alvarez comparison is nonsense. Alvarez coached at Iowa under Hayden Fry for 7 years and Notre Dame for three (under Lou Holtz) before taking over at Wisconsin. Allen's "resume" is position coach at Ole Miss for 3 years, South Florida DC for 1 and Indiana for 1. Nine years of coaching two of the top programs in NCAA football history is a far better resume then Allen's five year coaching tenure. 

Wilson's class national rankings: 55, 57, 42 (3 four star recruits), 48, 53, 53

Tom Allen's class national rankings: 62, 49, 39 (if it holds). I'll give credit where credit is due with the 2019 class and getting James to commit but he has to keep these commitments and if we can't beat this Maryland team at home we sure as hell can't beat Michigan or Purdue and will finish the season with 4 wins. You don't think we'll see some recruits jumping ship after 6 straight losses?

Wilson built a competitive team from nothing and dominated Purdue (also what tradition? Joe Tiller's one conference title?) and handed it over to Wilson who has shown me nothing that he's capable of being the leader of a D1 program. Some guys are simply better off being a career coordinator. It's not that I don't agree with you in that high HC turnover is a bad look but keeping a guy who can't win is not better than trying to find a guy who can.

Look more closely at the Alvarez situation. He had never been a HC and Wisconsin was just as bad or worse than we are prior to him coming. Took time for him to establish roots and turn the program.

Purdue, unfortunately, has a better program than you give credit.. While Tiller only won one conference title, he had them in bowl games 10 of the 12 years he was there. IU has only been in 11 bowl games ever. Even Danny Hope got them to two bowl games. Hazell was a dumpster fire, but even he got 4 years.

Look, I don't know whether Allen is the answer or not. What I do know, is that firing him now will definitely cause the recruits to start "jumping ship", as you say. It will also pretty much perpetuate the losing for the forseeable future.

Archived