Jump to content

Green - Player Profile


Recommended Posts

Courtesy of ITH -- https://www.insidethehall.com/2018/10/26/2018-19-player-profile-devonte-green/

A couple of things stand out in ITH's write up --

-- “I think last year there were just times I mentally wasn’t as focused or mentally was just going through it all,” Green said at IU media day. “Just I think I mentally developed and I think that will keep consistency in my game this year.”

So Green has been dialing in on his mentality, his composure, for consistency. He's definitely got the talent, how well he does in staying focused on playing within CAM's game plan is likely going to play a major role in how effective he is, and, by extension, how IU performs with Morgan, Romeo, et al.

This one has me a little surprised:

Bottom Line: Green should have the inside track to start the season at point guard for the Hoosiers. That being said, he’s facing and will continue to face stiff competition from Phinisee, and if Green is unable to develop more consistency in his game he could lose minutes to Phinisee or Durham. Regardless of his role, Green will be an important player for Miller this season. He plays a key role in the pack-line defense, and his passing flair is a unique skill set within the Hoosiers. As the point guard position is one of the biggest questions for IU heading into the season, Green has a chance to be among the team’s biggest answers.

No reference to Al re "stiff competition"?? I wonder to what extent this bottom line take comes from assessment of where Al is right now, or if it reflects that ITH is overlooking Al. I suspect the latter, but time will tell.

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Hoosierhoopster said:

Courtesy of ITH -- https://www.insidethehall.com/2018/10/26/2018-19-player-profile-devonte-green/

A couple of things stand out in ITH's write up --

-- “I think last year there were just times I mentally wasn’t as focused or mentally was just going through it all,” Green said at IU media day. “Just I think I mentally developed and I think that will keep consistency in my game this year.”

So Green has been dialing in on his mentality, his composure, for consistency. He's definitely got the talent, how well he does in staying focused on playing within CAM's game plan is likely going to play a major role in how effective he is, and, by extension, how IU performs with Morgan, Romeo, et al.

This one has me a little surprised:

Bottom Line: Green should have the inside track to start the season at point guard for the Hoosiers. That being said, he’s facing and will continue to face stiff competition from Phinisee, and if Green is unable to develop more consistency in his game he could lose minutes to Phinisee or Durham. Regardless of his role, Green will be an important player for Miller this season. He plays a key role in the pack-line defense, and his passing flair is a unique skill set within the Hoosiers. As the point guard position is one of the biggest questions for IU heading into the season, Green has a chance to be among the team’s biggest answers.

No reference to Al re "stiff competition"?? I wonder to what extent this bottom line take comes from assessment of where Al is right now, or if it reflects that ITH is overlooking Al. I suspect the latter, but time will tell.

Apparently Peegs had a report from practice that said Green is going to have the first opportunity to start at PG, but that Phinisee has been the freshman that has stood out in practice the most (aside from Romeo), and that he will be pushing Green for playing time from the get-go.  Between that and the players talking about the practice battles between Green and Phinisee, things sound promising for the freshman.  Al isn’t really a point guard, so I don’t see him ever starting over either Green or Phinisee at the 1.

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

23 minutes ago, FW_Hoosier said:

Apparently Peegs had a report from practice that said Green is going to have the first opportunity to start at PG, but that Phinisee has been the freshman that has stood out in practice the most (aside from Romeo), and that he will be pushing Green for playing time from the get-go.  Between that and the players talking about the practice battles between Green and Phinisee, things sound promising for the freshman.  Al isn’t really a point guard, so I don’t see him ever starting over either Green or Phinisee at the 1.

Hmm. disagree Al is not a point guard. And he played very well in the HH scrimmage, and has been getting some very positive reviews from players regarding his summer play. Peegs' report as you indicate does seem to indicate Rob is pushing it for playing time, but that's actually inconsistent with some statements CAM made earlier that were more or less to the effect that Rob could work his way into playing time (No, I don't have that handy, just remember them, they were publicly reported).

Link to comment
Share on other sites

15 minutes ago, Hoosierhoopster said:

Hmm. disagree Al is not a point guard. And he played very well in the HH scrimmage, and has been getting some very positive reviews from players regarding his summer play. Peegs' report as you indicate does seem to indicate Rob is pushing it for playing time, but that's actually inconsistent with some statements CAM made earlier that were more or less to the effect that Rob could work his way into playing time (No, I don't have that handy, just remember them, they were publicly reported).

I disagree too.  Al may be more of a combo, but he's shown he can play the point and without turning it over.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

51 minutes ago, Hoosierhoopster said:

Hmm. disagree Al is not a point guard. And he played very well in the HH scrimmage, and has been getting some very positive reviews from players regarding his summer play. Peegs' report as you indicate does seem to indicate Rob is pushing it for playing time, but that's actually inconsistent with some statements CAM made earlier that were more or less to the effect that Rob could work his way into playing time (No, I don't have that handy, just remember them, they were publicly reported).

Yeah, Archie did seem to underplay Rob’s potential role at Big Ten media day, so who knows.  And Juwan mentioned that Al has improved a lot over the summer as well.  I definitely expect all three guards to play big roles this season, but I’m just not as much on the Al hype train as most of this board seems to be... I think it had just been so long since we had a solid guard who didn’t throw the ball out of bounds every other possession, people started to hype him up to be a little more than what he is.  Solid all-around combo guard, and hopefully a better shooter than he was last year, but I just think Green and Phinisee should be better options at the point.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

49 minutes ago, FW_Hoosier said:

Yeah, Archie did seem to underplay Rob’s potential role at Big Ten media day, so who knows.  And Juwan mentioned that Al has improved a lot over the summer as well.  I definitely expect all three guards to play big roles this season, but I’m just not as much on the Al hype train as most of this board seems to be... I think it had just been so long since we had a solid guard who didn’t throw the ball out of bounds every other possession, people started to hype him up to be a little more than what he is.  Solid all-around combo guard, and hopefully a better shooter than he was last year, but I just think Green and Phinisee should be better options at the point.

Certainly fair. I tend to be a glass half full guy and am hoping his shooting has improved -- I think he can be a very solid PG but needs that jumper to be consistent. We definitely have 3 promising guys, it's going to turn on which of them are developing the most

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, FKIM01 said:

I disagree too.  Al may be more of a combo, but he's shown he can play the point and without turning it over.

If I remember, when Al was starting early last season it was alongside Newkirk and RoJo. Durham did do a great job not turning it over, but I never considered Al the point guard in those lineups. 

He certainly could have improved that aspect of his game, but I think he’s more of a combo guard that can play some point at times. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, FKIM01 said:

I disagree too.  Al may be more of a combo, but he's shown he can play the point and without turning it over.

Perhaps it's mostly a matter of definition.  To me, a point guard is a specialist in ball-handling and distributing before everything else.  I don't recall Durham being called upon to bring the ball up the court under pressure last year, and his assist rate was only 11.9.  He may have improved in those regards since last year, but I won't call him a point guard until he has a much higher assist rate.  Of course, Green's assist rate went from 11.8 as a freshman to 20.7 as a sophomore, so things can change.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...