Should Tom Allen be fired?

• Replies 149
  • Created
  • Last Reply

To be honest we’re getting what we pay for, IU has the lowest paid coaching staff in the big 10. It starts with our president, who I can’t stand. No commitment to football, which is typically key in keeping alumni happy at any power 5 school. Or at least pretending to give a shit, but we don’t even do that. (Lowest paid coaches, still no beer sales, pass outs, dicking with tailgate parking, JOKE ticket prices, no tiered pricing for higher rows, list goes on)

28 minutes ago, CauseThatsMyDJ said:

What say you, HSN?

This game is just what you expect from IU football where you are down 22 point in the 4th quarter and come back to tie it.  Then you give up a 70 yard TD and then fumble on your next possession to lose the game.  I don't think he will be fired this year but he needs to overhaul his coaching staff after the season.  If he does not turn t around after this season then you look to make a chage.  Also with this class being the best in a long time for IU football you eed to see how they do as well but if you make a change then a lot of them won't come here.

I don't think he should be. I think a lot of people are jumping the gun. If DeBord is here next year I might change my tune. I'd probably throw Inge in there too.

If we would have had a competent OC last year and this year, things would be way different. I'd be interested in seeing what next year's team could be with a good offensive coordinator.

I think part of it is that the team is beat down by the crap they see on offense and special teams. Get decent coordinators there, and this could be a really good team next year and the year after.

I think Allen has the potential to be really good, and some of his staff needs to go before I think he should go. If they don't go, I'll reconsider my views.

I don't have an answer for this, but I always think you can't look at things in a vacuum. The Big 10 East is NASTY we all know this. I think it's going to be hard for Indiana to beat Michigan, Michigan St., Ohio St., and Penn State. If you assume those 4 are losses each year then Indiana has to at least go 6-2 in the other 8 to get bowl eligible. It makes me sick to say it, but if Brohm stays at Purdue, we aren't beating them. That means IU has 5 losses on the schedule needing to go 6-1 in their other 7. It helps that the next few years the non-conference games are against Ball St., Connecticut, Western Kentucky & Eastern Illinois, but eventually Cincinnati & Louisville show up on those OOC schedules as well. 

I've had trouble with IU's administration for a VERY LONG time, but I think Indiana HAS to look for moves that Baylor, Purdue & Iowa State made. Matt Rhule went from Temple to Baylor. Matt Campbell went from Toledo to Iowa State. Jeff Brohm went from Western Kentucky to Purdue. Those schools aren't any more of a destination spot than Indiana is in today's landscape of college football. 

There is some "right place right time" aspect there, but Indiana needs to seize those kinds of opportunities regardless of when they come about. I like Allen, but I don't think he's as good a coach as either Rhule, Brohm or Campbell. 

Maybe it's long term, but IU needs to take advantage of a Rhule/Campbell/Brohm type situation, but the key here is that when they do, an Indiana kid comes up under Rhule/Campbell/Broh, plays at Indiana and is as sharp as a tack. That guy eventually comes back to Indiana and the Hoosiers have a great coach. It's long term thinking, but we've waited this long. What's another decade or so??!!

Keep in mind that his recruits are freshman and sophomores.  Also, keep in mind that this is not Michigan or Ohio State.  

UK fans were wanting Mark Stoops fired not too long ago.  Their reasoning.  He's recruiting well, but ain't doing nothing with it.  His record by season.

2-10

5-7

5-7

7-6

7-6

6-1 and ranked 12th in the country.

This is IU.  You have to give the coach some time.  Mallory was 4-7 in his second year.  Hep was 5-7.  No one was demanding either of those coaches be fired.

6 minutes ago, Stlboiler23 said:

When do you think he’ll leave?

When the first better offer comes.  His stock may never be higher.

And, it might not even be Louisville.  If Purdue continues to win the rest of the season, he'll be at the top of every Power 5 coaching search.  Auburn could open up after this season.  

Archived