Should Tom Allen be fired?

Here's a quote from Pat Forde this morning on IU football and specifically Tom Allen. Don't think I've ready or heard anyone say it better.

Trajectory: Steady-ish. Indiana football perpetually churns along on its little hamster wheel of sub-mediocrity, never really getting anywhere despite all the exertion. Staying ahead of the Rutgers-level Big Ten programs is attainable, but ascending to compete with the elite of the league’s East Division is asking an awful lot. Allen is no different from many of his predecessors, an inexpensive promotion from within who offers little promise of fundamentally shifting the program’s paradigm. He is a thematic fit with the school’s limited football aspirations.

• Replies 149
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My feelings are to not fire Tom Allen! This was only his second year. He had no good experienced QB to step in. This year he has a very young defense! The problem is DeBord and the special teams coach. I would probably throw the OL coach in there also. This line should have preformed better! If Allen doesn’t make changes there I will probably switch, because, that would tell me he isn’t strong enough to be a head coach! 

4 hours ago, Bob said:

My feelings are to not fire Tom Allen! This was only his second year. He had no good experienced QB to step in. This year he has a very young defense! The problem is DeBord and the special teams coach. I would probably throw the OL coach in there also. This line should have preformed better! If Allen doesn’t make changes there I will probably switch, because, that would tell me he isn’t strong enough to be a head coach! 

I completely agree with all of this. Allen has been a good recruiter, he coaches a good defense, and he understands that building a program requires being good in all facets of the game.

I'd love to see DeBord, Hiller, and Inge go. Allen has pretty good contacts and has brought in some good coaches. I'd love to see what he could do with better coaches in those 3 areas. I can live with Hiller staying because I think a lot of the offensive line issues come from the crappy, predictable play calling, but if DeBord doesn't "retire" this year, I'll be really disappointed in Allen.

Allen was just interviewed on ESPNU radio by Chris Childers and Rick Neuheisel. When asked, he said that he definitely wants to relinquish the role of DC in the future. That it takes too much time to prepare, watch film, etc.  Said he never wants to be the HC whose only responsibility is to decide whether to kick field goals or go for it, that he wants to be more involved, but knows that he can't keep doing the DC position. Said he wants to free that time up to recruit.

Nothing about Debord, which would be expected. Good to hear nevertheless.

25 minutes ago, Steubenhoosier said:

Allen was just interviewed on ESPNU radio by Chris Childers and Rick Neuheisel. When asked, he said that he definitely wants to relinquish the role of DC in the future. That it takes too much time to prepare, watch film, etc.  Said he never wants to be the HC whose only responsibility is to decide whether to kick field goals or go for it, that he wants to be more involved, but knows that he can't keep doing the DC position. Said he wants to free that time up to recruit.

Nothing about Debord, which would be expected. Good to hear nevertheless.

A day late, and a dollar short.

This thread is ridiculous. Coaches get 2 years now?? Absolutely no one will come here if we cut bait after two seasons. The longest we have given a coach since Mallory is 5 years, not a great look to attract coaching talent. I am glad he is making the adjustment to give up DC duties next season and look forward to the end of this season and going forward. 

16 minutes ago, hoosierdaddy1020 said:

This thread is ridiculous. Coaches get 2 years now?? Absolutely no one will come here if we cut bait after two seasons. The longest we have given a coach since Mallory is 5 years, not a great look to attract coaching talent. I am glad he is making the adjustment to give up DC duties next season and look forward to the end of this season and going forward. 

Have you read the entire thread?  It ain't like Allen took over a dumpster fire.  Nor did Lynch.  Mallory did, and got results relatively soon.  I see your point, but the fan base is frustrated.  And I imagine the big paying boosters are too.  We don't ask for much, but 8-4 would give me a "Longhorn" the size of Texas.

19 minutes ago, hoosierdaddy1020 said:

Some people are never going to give him any credit because they don't like how he was hired.  People have been begging for this to happen, he says he'll hire a DC, and people still complain about it.  It's ridiculous.

1 hour ago, rico said:

Have you read the entire thread?  It ain't like Allen took over a dumpster fire.  Nor did Lynch.  Mallory did, and got results relatively soon.  I see your point, but the fan base is frustrated.  And I imagine the big paying boosters are too.  We don't ask for much, but 8-4 would give me a "Longhorn" the size of Texas.

I have, and I get that people are frustrated. I guess my response would be this: 

If you fire him and somehow bring in a decent coach (which would be difficult for the reason I mentioned), we'd probably experience transfers and the loss of recruits. Does the fan base start calling for this new coaches head if he isn't going bowling in yr 2? yr 3? At some point you have to let someone get a system in place. I want 8+ wins as much as the next fan, but we have talent and if he brings in a dc and gets a new oc, I like our situation. Maybe I'm in the minority. 

18 minutes ago, hoosierdaddy1020 said:

I have, and I get that people are frustrated. I guess my response would be this: 

If you fire him and somehow bring in a decent coach (which would be difficult for the reason I mentioned), we'd probably experience transfers and the loss of recruits. Does the fan base start calling for this new coaches head if he isn't going bowling in yr 2? yr 3? At some point you have to let someone get a system in place. I want 8+ wins as much as the next fan, but we have talent and if he brings in a dc and gets a new oc, I like our situation. Maybe I'm in the minority. 

Point well taken....but to me this is year 3.  

• 2 weeks later...

This game doesn't change anything in my mind.

Defense really wasn't terrible against one of the better offensive teams in the conference. Crappy roughing call gave them their 1st touchdown. Our D gave the team a chance to win with a ton of youth on that side of the ball. Next year should be much better.

DeBord is still horrible. We "put up numbers," but they're meaningless. Close to 500 yards and only 21 points with 7 of those points being a meaningless score with a minute left in the game.

The biggest stretch of the game was the 3 and out after PU didn't get the 4th down conversion inside the 20. DeBord called 3 straight terrible plays and gave it right back to them. That has to be a huge mental let down after a big defensive stand. PU scored right after that.

DeBord CAN'T come back next year. I think Allen will be fine with a good OC, but we can't keep DeBord. He's a drain on the program. Get a new, exciting OC, start Penix next year, and we'll be a tough team to beat. I'm willing to give Allen 1-2 more years to see what he can do with an OC who can call players better than a monkey could.

I'm pretty sure I read somewhere that Allen said he is going to get a DC this offseason, so I think that will calm him down on the sidelines. Usually defensive coordinators get really fired up to motivate the defense. A lot of coordinators do that, so hopefully as just the head coach he'll be a lot calmer on the sidelines.

31 minutes ago, Leathernecks said:

This game doesn't change anything in my mind.

Defense really wasn't terrible against one of the better offensive teams in the conference. Crappy roughing call gave them their 1st touchdown. Our D gave the team a chance to win with a ton of youth on that side of the ball. Next year should be much better.

DeBord is still horrible. We "put up numbers," but they're meaningless. Close to 500 yards and only 21 points with 7 of those points being a meaningless score with a minute left in the game.

The biggest stretch of the game was the 3 and out after PU didn't get the 4th down conversion inside the 20. DeBord called 3 straight terrible plays and gave it right back to them. That has to be a huge mental let down after a big defensive stand. PU scored right after that.

DeBord CAN'T come back next year. I think Allen will be fine with a good OC, but we can't keep DeBord. He's a drain on the program. Get a new, exciting OC, start Penix next year, and we'll be a tough team to beat. I'm willing to give Allen 1-2 more years to see what he can do with an OC who can call players better than a monkey could.

I'm pretty sure I read somewhere that Allen said he is going to get a DC this offseason, so I think that will calm him down on the sidelines. Usually defensive coordinators get really fired up to motivate the defense. A lot of coordinators do that, so hopefully as just the head coach he'll be a lot calmer on the sidelines.

This is all regurgitation.  Allen is not the man.  If he was, he would have dispatched DeBord awhile back.  Tired of hearing the same ole spew over and over again.  

42 minutes ago, rico said:

This is all regurgitation.  Allen is not the man.  If he was, he would have dispatched DeBord awhile back.  Tired of hearing the same ole spew over and over again.  

And I'm tired of hearing the same complaining from the beginning of the season until now when nothing much can be done about it. Let's let it play out this offseason.

He was a new HC coming off his first season. Sorry for not crucifying him for not firing DeBord last offseason. Each season DeBord is back it gets more egregious though.

12 minutes ago, Leathernecks said:

And I'm tired of hearing the same complaining from the beginning of the season until now when nothing much can be done about it. Let's let it play out this offseason.

He was a new HC coming off his first season. Sorry for not crucifying him for not firing DeBord last offseason. Each season DeBord is back it gets more egregious though.

Well enjoy watching Purdue play in a bowl.

1 hour ago, rico said:

Okay...so we fire Allen and everyone.  Who does IU hire?  And while we're at it...maybe think about firing Glass!  Lots of folks seem to want him gone.

Well, if a player/team performs poorly there are consequences. Allen makes millions, he deserved to be held to the same standard. Yes he should be fired, should never have been hired as head coach, but it is unlikely the administration, despite paying, will hold him to the same standard we expect the players and team to be held to. 

2 hours ago, Steubenhoosier said:

I was the one that posted after listening to Allen on ESPNU. He did say that he was going to hire a DC “sometime in the near future.”

He did not say that it would be next season .

Sorry if I led some to interpret otherwise 

I read it a couple weeks ago, and I think I saw it in more than one place, so I might have heard it other places besides just you. I really can't remember exactly anymore.

1 hour ago, CauseThatsMyDJ said:

You’re being sarcastic, but yes. Those bowls are great for the historically worst program in college football. 

I actually think they should eliminate about 20 bowl games because bowls should be a reward for a good season and 6-6 is not a good season.

Archived