Wish list....Any potential great new OC, DC, ST hires out there?

Here is where I am with this mess. I am feeling like the Tennessee Vols fan base now. I have been struggling to find the value in coach DeBord. I wanted to know more about why he wanted to come to IU. I found this Tennessee article about DeBord and why they thought he left. Obviously the fans could not stand him and we're glad to see him go. But after reading this article, it sounds like DeBord was riding the on the the success from the coat tails of top QBs. Check out the article below....The only thing that scares me is that he may see a star in Penix! The solution should be for CTA to stop this downward trend and quit trying to be nice.

https://allfortennessee.com/2017/01/04/tennessee-football-mike-debord-departue/

As much as we hate to admit it, IU is a stepping stone football program. We will never get a quality, established guy to come here as OC.

IMO, best bet is to identify the best OC in a top notch Division II program and sell him on the opportunity of moving into a Power 5 position. I want a guy whose offense scores a lot of points without having to resort to gadgets and gimmicks in order to succeed 

Hoosiers Rising said: 
No. Just. No. It is universally agreed that IU's turn around on defense was among the largest if not the largest in the country. That is by experts, not this board. Using total yards as a measuring stick when the offense was terrible in both 3 and outs and turnovers is flawed. He did this not just at IU as well. Now if you want to crow that Allen was a bad choice for the HC position as you have stated over and over, have at it. Today is your day.

I copied and pasted this from Peegs. Anyone have any insight on these guys below?

Neal Brown - Troy head coach. Young and has had success under the tutelage of Hal Mumme and Mike Leach. He’s been a great success at Troy. I’ve seen the facilities at Troy. It’s about on par with Center Grove high school. This guy is a winner.

Scott Satterfield - enough said. Bring the whole coaching staff with him.

Seth Littrell - again, bring the staff as well. He has Graham Harrell as his OC.

Mike Houston - if you don’t know about this guy, look him up.

We are going backwards. Need to move forward.

4 hours ago, Artesian_86 said:

Here is where I am with this mess. I am feeling like the Tennessee Vols fan base now. I have been struggling to find the value in coach DeBord. I wanted to know more about why he wanted to come to IU. I found this Tennessee article about DeBord and why they thought he left. Obviously the fans could not stand him and we're glad to see him go. But after reading this article, it sounds like DeBord was riding the on the the success from the coat tails of top QBs. Check out the article below....The only thing that scares me is that he may see a star in Penix! The solution should be for CTA to stop this downward trend and quit trying to be nice.

https://allfortennessee.com/2017/01/04/tennessee-football-mike-debord-departue/

I do follow the Vols........I said this a year ago.

11 hours ago, Steubenhoosier said:

As much as we hate to admit it, IU is a stepping stone football program. We will never get a quality, established guy to come here as OC.

IMO, best bet is to identify the best OC in a top notch Division II program and sell him on the opportunity of moving into a Power 5 position. I want a guy whose offense scores a lot of points without having to resort to gadgets and gimmicks in order to succeed 

I tend agree that IU is currently a stepping stone. I just think you're selling it a bit short.Indiana Football is the stepping stone of a lifetime.

There is added value in doing what has never heen done before when a program appears to be on the verge for as long as Indiana has appeared to be.

I like your idea here despite disagreeing about having enough in place to make a push for a high levrl OC. I just prefer longevity like you and I doubt Indiana could keep a more known name for long after any higher level of success than a 7th win.Thats why I still think what you said could be very mutually beneficial with the tight D II guy. I just dint know if I trust that more than a coach with Power 5 experience.SEC guys are always out of a job.

Another thing of note, is Tom Allen left So Fla in pretty darn good shape on D. 

I actually like Rico's idea of Cameron as OC, and have thought the same thing before. I dont think it's a stretch to think he would come back for the right money.Him and Allen are actually a great pairing of philosophies/styles in the mind's eye.

They don't have to live and die on gadgetry. However, a ittle trickery never hurts when the timing is suitable, and the opposing personnel scouted have tendencies which make them susceptible to giving them up.

6 hours ago, jblaz13 said:

I actually like Rico's idea of Cameron as OC, and have thought the same thing before. I dont think it's a stretch to think he would come back for the right money.Him and Allen are actually a great pairing of philosophies/styles in the mind's eye.

They don't have to live and die on gadgetry. However, a ittle trickery never hurts when the timing is suitable, and the opposing personnel scouted have tendencies which make them susceptible to giving them up.

I would already be on the phone with Cameron if I was CTA.  We can argue his success as a HC(not good) but he is a perfect fit.  IU alum, former QB, and his resume is quite impressive.  Add to that he does have a Super Bowl ring....and as far as I know he is unemployed right now.

4 hours ago, rico said:

I would already be on the phone with Cameron if I was CTA.  We can argue his success as a HC(not good) but he is a perfect fit.  IU alum, former QB, and his resume is quite impressive.  Add to that he does have a Super Bowl ring....and as far as I know he is unemployed right now.

The more I think about this, the more I like this Cam Cameron for OC idea....

22 hours ago, Steubenhoosier said:

No offense here, but just how do you figure IU is a stepping stone program.  Stepping to what? Going back to Corso I don’t see one coach who stepped away from IU to anything better.  

Miami of Ohio, Western Kentucky even Colorado State, these are stepping stone jobs.  IU seems to be a career setback job.  

5 hours ago, rico said:

Cameron was terrible as OC at LSU so why would you want him as our OC.

2 hours ago, SteveS said:

No offense here, but just how do you figure IU is a stepping stone program.  Stepping to what? Going back to Corso I don’t see one coach who stepped away from IU to anything better.  

Miami of Ohio, Western Kentucky even Colorado State, these are stepping stone jobs.  IU seems to be a career setback job.  

Maybe stepping stone was the wrong term. IU is definitely not a destination job. Would be very rare that we could attract a high level coach whose dreams are to stay in Bloomington and make IU a force.

1 hour ago, IU Scott said:

Cameron was terrible as OC at LSU so why would you want him as our OC.

Says who....you?  You crack me up.

From wiki....

On Friday February 8, 2013 it was reported on CBSSports.com that Cameron had accepted the Offensive Coordinator job at LSU. Later in the day this report was confirmed.[11]

Entering 2013, Cameron had immediate success. Cameron's LSU offense averaged 46 points in the first six games of the regular season. Cam Cameron's LSU offense finished the season 34th in the country in Passing Yards at 265.1 per game, 32nd in rushing yards at 200.8, 22nd points for at 37.0, and 32nd in total offense (LSU's best since 2007) at 5591 yards of total offense and a total average of 465.9 yards per game. LSU was 77th in total offense in 2012, 57th in 2011, 81st in 2010, and 102nd in 2009, and 51st in 2008. Cameron has also been widely praised for the development of RS Senior Quarterback Zach Mettenberger who had the best season of his LSU career with a 64.9% completion percentage, and a 22–8 Touchdown to Interception Ratio. The previous year Mettenberger had a 58.8% completion percentage and a 12 to 7 Touchdown to Interception Ratio under Greg Studrawa.

On September 25, 2016, it was announced that Cameron was fired along with Les Miles after a 2–2 start to the season. Reports later indicated that it was incoming interim head coach Ed Orgeron who decided to release Cameron.[12]

^^^Not opposed to Cam as OC.  My pet Schnoodle could call better game than DeBord!  My fondest memories of IUFB are the Rose Bowl Team, Mallory days with the A Train, and Cam with the most electrifying player I've watched in Randle El.  Would he even consider returning to the same school that fired him as HC to be an OC?  Never know unless we try.

2 hours ago, FWIUFan said:

^^^Not opposed to Cam as OC.  My pet Schnoodle could call better game than DeBord!  My fondest memories of IUFB are the Rose Bowl Team, Mallory days with the A Train, and Cam with the most electrifying player I've watched in Randle El.  Would he even consider returning to the same school that fired him as HC to be an OC?  Never know unless we try.

Cam is a football brain, he just hasn't worked out as HC at some stops.  My gut tells me he would be ecstatic to be back in B-town.  

Archived