Scouting Report on Loyola Chicago

rbkl

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ideally I like teams to have an 8 man rotation and maybe 9 but no more than that.  I know I always go back to the past but the 87 team played no more than 7 and the majority of the minutes went to the starters.  I have watched a lot of older games the last few months and RMK sometimes never substituted for a whole half and he kept guys n when they got 2 fouls.  To me when you play to many players you can't get in a good rhythm as a team and I think to get a good rhythm the players need to play big minutes.

2 hours ago, rico said:

I don't care what the rotation is, I don't care how the minutes are distributed, I don't care who starts..........I just want to win, and win a lot.

Precisely! Archie will find the right mix. He may go platoon style or he may play just 7 or 8. I feel it is important to involve as many guys that are ready to contribute and play as possible. Never know when someone will go down late in the season and you need someone to step up and play bigger minutes and be asked to hit big shots. When you can come at teams with waves of good players it can just feel overwhelming for an opponent. 10 deep sounds a bit much but I would still like to see those guys getting a couple minutes a night. Even if it means just come in for a guy a minute before a tv timeout to get them an extra long breather or to just be able to give a shot in the arm. What we typically see is that bigs more often get into foul trouble...so even if they may not be as good as some of the other guys ahead of them on the roster I would expect all our bigs to contribute at some point in time during the season. There are going to be games where someone's head just isn't in it...remember these are 18 year old kids with girlfriends and finals and fortnite addictions...I think we will call on basically all our scholarship guys on our bench at various points....but probably a solid rotation of 8-9 guys seeing the majority.

Juwan with 16 boards is a grown man in the paint. Can't wait to see if this translates to the actual season. Also pretty encouraging to see 12 and 5 out of Smith.

Someone earlier mentioned Rob might take Green's starting spot if he can't fix whatever nagging injury he has going on. I think you're dead on and it's something we will see shortly into the season. It just feels like this kid is meshing too well with the system in place and able to do PG things no one else on this roster could, and Green is very replaceable as far as what he brings on a 22+ mpg basis.

It's curious they left out what our 3PM% was, especially after reading Romeo's shooting has left a little to be desired and Archie's comments about this team's 3pt prioritization. I can't help but wonder if we look weak there.

37 minutes ago, Bushmage said:

Juwan with 16 boards is a grown man in the paint. Can't wait to see if this translates to the actual season. Also pretty encouraging to see 12 and 5 out of Smith.

Someone earlier mentioned Rob might take Green's starting spot if he can't fix whatever nagging injury he has going on. I think you're dead on and it's something we will see shortly into the season. It just feels like this kid is meshing too well with the system in place and able to do PG things no one else on this roster could, and Green is very replaceable as far as what he brings on a 22+ mpg basis.

It's curious they left out what our 3PM% was, especially after reading Romeo's shooting has left a little to be desired and Archie's comments about this team's 3pt prioritization. I can't help but wonder if we look weak there.

It's also been reported and I posted it that those injuries are nagging but "minor". I really wouldn't start thinking a frosh is taking Green's place. It might happen, but that would be a major move and downgrade of an experienced, highly talented junior. I tend to think we'll see more than one ball handler on the floor, and that Green, Al and Phin will all get good minutes -- not discounting Phin, but wouldn't discount Green either because of a minor injury.

34 minutes ago, Hoosierhoopster said:

It's also been reported and I posted it that those injuries are nagging but "minor". I really wouldn't start thinking a frosh is taking Green's place. It might happen, but that would be a major move and downgrade of an experienced, highly talented junior. I tend to think we'll see more than one ball handler on the floor, and that Green, Al and Phin will all get good minutes -- not discounting Phin, but wouldn't discount Green either because of a minor injury.

Don't disagree with you but I have heard the "minor injury" thing oh so many times in my life.  Sometimes those "minor" things are season ending injuries.

17 minutes ago, rico said:

Don't disagree with you but I have heard the "minor injury" thing oh so many times in my life.  Sometimes those "minor" things are season ending injuries.

There have been a lot of Instagram videos posted featuring Green and he looked good.  I'm sure it's just precautionary.  We don't need him against the cupcakes.

1 hour ago, Hoosierhoopster said:

Not always, but most tournament contenders have experienced guards. I think Rob has a great future, but imo we will need Green and his experience if we are going to make any kind of run this year 

2 hours ago, Bushmage said:

2 hours ago, Bushmage said:

Romeo is a scorer, not a shooter.  If IU fans are expecting Roth or Zeisloft, they will be disappointed.  He is still a huge difference maker.  Shooting could cost him a couple of slots in the draft though.

13 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

Romeo is a scorer, not a shooter.  If IU fans are expecting Roth or Zeisloft, they will be disappointed.  He is still a huge difference maker.  Shooting could cost him a couple of slots in the draft though.

We know he's not Jordan Hulls but he's also not someone teams can just leave wide open at the 3 point line.

20 hours ago, IU Scott said:

Ideally I like teams to have an 8 man rotation and maybe 9 but no more than that.  I know I always go back to the past but the 87 team played no more than 7 and the majority of the minutes went to the starters.  I have watched a lot of older games the last few months and RMK sometimes never substituted for a whole half and he kept guys n when they got 2 fouls.  To me when you play to many players you can't get in a good rhythm as a team and I think to get a good rhythm the players need to play big minutes.

^^^  THIS!!!  ^^^

7 minutes ago, hoosier8760 said:

Glad S. Indiana is just a exhibition. We don't need a 3rd mid major Indiana team to beat us during the regular season...

LOL...USI is Division II.  It would be quite embarrassing to lose to them given where we think the program is.

Archived