What should be the next improvement to Memorial Stadium ?

milehiiu

A.) Modern suites and press boxes, running the full length of the West Stands ?

B.) Stadium beer sales.

C.) Pork Tenderloin sandwiches and or Hot Stroms ?

D.) Statue to the winningest Head FB in Indiana University history ?

E.) None of the above.

F.) Some of the above.

G.) Other ( please specify, and note this is about the physical plant, not any individuals, like a new HC.  LOL )

I'll say this about Glass and IU. They've done everything necessary to improve and upgrade the facilities. Besides a couple of tweaks here and there...you can't ask much more the university. Time for the players or coaches or both to step up. I'm tired of these conversations having to take place every year or every other year. 

23 hours ago, milehiiu said:

A.) Modern suites and press boxes, running the full length of the West Stands ?

B.) Stadium beer sales.

C.) Pork Tenderloin sandwiches and or Hot Stroms ?

D.) Statue to the winningest Head FB in Indiana University history ?

E.) None of the above.

F.) Some of the above.

G.) Other ( please specify, and note this is about the physical plant, not any individuals, like a new HC.  LOL )

The first thing they need to do is lower ticket prices for the general public and give students free tickets.

20 hours ago, hoosier8760 said:

BEER SALES. It’s an absolute joke that we of all programs haven’t done that to gin up attendance. Low hanging fruit if there ever was any. Mind boggling.

To me it is a sad state of affairs if people don't go to games because they can't drink.  To me the thing about college sports I enjoy is not being around people drinking and spilling beer all over me.  To me you have a problem if you can't go over 3 hours without a drink.

27 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

To me it is a sad state of affairs if people don't go to games because they can't drink.  To me the thing about college sports I enjoy is not being around people drinking and spilling beer all over me.  To me you have a problem if you can't go over 3 hours without a drink.

I probably have 3-5 drinks a week.  Usually while IU is playing football I have 1-2, it really helps the pain. 

Which sounds more appealing to you?  Drinking 1-2 in your living room or drinking 1-2 at the stadium?  I promise not to spill my beer on you if most prefer the latter, having 1-2, I should be able to control myself.

It's not so much that people cannot go 3 hours with alcohol ( I know some can't ), it's a matter of preferences.

You could be right, the fear of the one who would overindulge would ruin it for everyone.

29 minutes ago, PoHoosier said:

I probably have 3-5 drinks a week.  Usually while IU is playing football I have 1-2, it really helps the pain. 

Which sounds more appealing to you?  Drinking 1-2 in your living room or drinking 1-2 at the stadium?  I promise not to spill my beer on you if most prefer the latter, having 1-2, I should be able to control myself.

It's not so much that people cannot go 3 hours with alcohol ( I know some can't ), it's a matter of preferences.

You could be right, the fear of the one who would overindulge would ruin it for everyone.

My experience with drinking at sporting events is that you would have to spend a LOT of money to really overindulge at a game. $8-10 for a 16oz beer typically I think.

53 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

I can understand your feelings.  Last season, we went to a Wyoming FB game.  They serve beer throughout the entire stadium.  Pretty controlled.  First must go through an age check. Then get a wrist band which is good for only two drinks, and has your driver's license number written on it. However, I guess any system can be breached.  Stands were packed, and I never saw anyone out of control. Personally, though I got a band, it was more out of curiosity as to how the system worked... as call me cheap in that I could not justify paying $8.00 for a beer.

Just wondering ....... If IU were to start selling beer in the stands.  Use the guidelines of Wyoming,  however, have designated non drinking areas in the stands, would that be ok with you ? With today's technology, I could see how tickets could be sold for drinking and non drinking areas.

I do know Mr. Glass has been studying offering beer in the stands.  In the end, I would not want any IU fan to be put out, if beer sales ever came to Memorial. 

Thanks to everybody for contributing to this thread. 

2 minutes ago, SteveS said:

My experience with drinking at sporting events is that you would have to spend a LOT of money to really overindulge at a game. $8-10 for a 16oz beer typically I think.

Steve, you posted just as I was typing and saying much the same thing.  I just could not justify $8.00 for even one beer.  LOL

2 hours ago, IU Scott said:

It’s not a matter of being able to go three hours without a drink. People have been going three hours without drinks at IU football games for eons. It’s wanting to have a Saturday at the game with a cold beer and not have to go back to my tailgate.

It’s a want, not a need. But last time I checked going to an IU game in general is also a want; I sure as hell didn’t NEED to go watch us get destroyed by Iowa a few weeks ago but I did anyway.

It would also keep butts in the seats, which I know you are worried about. 

1 hour ago, milehiiu said:

I can understand your feelings.  Last season, we went to a Wyoming FB game.  They serve beer throughout the entire stadium.  Pretty controlled.  First must go through an age check. Then get a wrist band which is good for only two drinks, and has your driver's license number written on it. However, I guess any system can be breached.  Stands were packed, and I never saw anyone out of control. Personally, though I got a band, it was more out of curiosity as to how the system worked... as call me cheap in that I could not justify paying $8.00 for a beer.

Just wondering ....... If IU were to start selling beer in the stands.  Use the guidelines of Wyoming,  however, have designated non drinking areas in the stands, would that be ok with you ? With today's technology, I could see how tickets could be sold for drinking and non drinking areas.

I do know Mr. Glass has been studying offering beer in the stands.  In the end, I would not want any IU fan to be put out, if beer sales ever came to Memorial. 

Actually took my kids to a Redss game when they were younger and they have a section where they don't sell alcohol and it was great.

1 hour ago, milehiiu said:

MIle,

I'm not a prude or Tea Totler.  I enjoy an adult beverage now and again.  For me personally, though,  I can do without Booze at the stadium.  I wouldn't pay that much for a beer because I'm too frugal.   However, I could live with a compromise such as you suggested.  

1 hour ago, FWIUFan said:

MIle,

I'm not a prude or Tea Totler.  I enjoy an adult beverage now and again.  For me personally, though,  I can do without Booze at the stadium.  I wouldn't pay that much for a beer because I'm too frugal.   However, I could live with a compromise such as you suggested.  

I am like you. Certain times a nice beverage goes well. For instance, a nice red wine with a beautiful grilled steak. Or a classico chianti reserve with some Italian.  And last friday, the white we had with our tilapia was grand.  There is nothing like a nice cold beer on a hot day after working in the yard. It's not something I have to have... but something I enjoy depending upon the situation.

I agree, $8.00 for a beer  at a game is just not in my wheelhouse. But I would not be opposed if Mr. Glass saw it as a way to generate more income, but more importantly better attendance at IU games.   Thanks to you and Scott, for thinking my solution is something that can be a viable solution. 

IMHO, Mr. Glass has done wonders to improve the overall fan environment at Memorial.  And I agree that there may not be much more he can do, until the product on the field improves.  I was just trying to come up with some tweaks, and thought I would throw it out to the HSN audience for additional suggestions.  Have a feeling I will be shooting off an e-mail after the season, listing our suggestions.  Again, thanks to all for participating.  And keep the suggestions coming. 

3 minutes ago, milehiiu said:

I am like you. Certain times a nice beverage goes well. For instance, a nice red wine with a beautiful grilled steak. Or a classico chianti reserve with some Italian.  And last friday, the white we had with our tilapia was grand.  There is nothing like a nice cold beer on a hot day after working in the yard. It's not something I have to have... but something I enjoy depending upon the situation.

I agree, $8.00 for a beer  at a game is just not in my wheelhouse. But I would not be opposed if Mr. Glass saw it as a way to generate more income, but more importantly better attendance at IU games.   Thanks to you and Scott, for thinking my solution is something that can be a viable solution. 

IMHO, Mr. Glass has done wonders to improve the overall fan environment at Memorial.  And I agree that there may not be much more he can do, until the product on the field improves.  I was just trying to come up with some tweaks, and thought I would throw it out to the HSN audience for additional suggestions.  Have a feeling I will be shooting off an e-mail after the season, listing our suggestions.  Again, thanks to all for participating.  And keep the suggestions coming. 

I would only add that the brand would have to be Miller. It's been Miller time at my house since Archie was hired!😊

5 minutes ago, FWIUFan said:

I would only add that the brand would have to be Miller. It's been Miller time at my house since Archie was hired!😊

Miller Time in Assembly Hall !

I have already talked about Wyoming.  Now it is time to talk about Colorado State University who have been selling beer in the stands for years now.  Last year, New Belgium Brewery in Fort Collins.... the guys who brew Fat Tire.... introduced a beer just for CSU.... "Old Aggie".

Just this month.... CSU students just started brewing their own brand.

Colorado State University taps its first student-made beer

Lots of choices to spend discretionary income. IU football is not must see, and it’s not like there is a waiting list for season tickets. Anything that provides a reason to put paying butts in seats should be considered.

In saying that, they have to be smart about it. Cut off alcohol sales mid-3rd quarter. I like the family friendly idea where no alcohol is allowed. I haven’t been to a game in Bloomington for 10 years or more, but I would ramp up security as well. 

There is a fine line though. I lived in Madison when the fans stormed the field at Camp Randall and people were crushed.  Without a doubt, alcohol was a contributing factor. 

4 hours ago, IU Scott said:

So what you are saying is.....that me and you will never attend a game together?  I am giggy with that.

Archived