What should be the next improvement to Memorial Stadium ?

milehiiu

1 hour ago, rico said:

So what you are saying is.....that me and you will never attend a game together?  I am giggy with that.

Not necessarily because I use to go to games with one of my friends who drank a lot.  We went to a Pacers game once and he probably had 8 beers and that was what turned me off of being around drunk people.  I drove a 95 mustang and  he decided to while I was driving to go to the back seat and if you know anything about Mustang they don't have much room between the seats.  Another thing he was 6'5 and 250 pounds.

One more thing about attending a Wyoming FB game.  They allow tail gateing. However, a half hour before kickoff, security sweeps the tailgaters  and parking lots.  With two choices. Either get into the stadium. Or off the lots.

We did tailgate.  Guy had a full blown mobile home.  All the beer I wanted for free. I had one.  Heck, it was for free.  LOL.

Never tail gated as a student at IU. So I don't know. I do recall reading at one time that Mr. Glass was making students go into the stadiums, rather than staying out side during the game.  Don't know if that is still the case.  But it worked in Laramie.  Don't mess with a Cowboy Security Guard, is the way I took it. 

7 hours ago, IU Scott said:

To me it is a sad state of affairs if people don't go to games because they can't drink.  To me the thing about college sports I enjoy is not being around people drinking and spilling beer all over me.  To me you have a problem if you can't go over 3 hours without a drink.

Hey, I haven’t had an alcoholic beverage in forty years but my friends drink and we all hang out. As someone who hates obnoxious drunk fans I will say that you might as well sell beer. Most of the other stadiums are, LSU actually brews it’s own and no fan could ever get drunk enough to be more obnoxious than a bunch of drunk Cajuns, and while it doesn’t impact me I am fine with friends being able to drink and relax. Hell, after some of the games my family probably would have preferred i drank. 

On 10/27/2018 at 1:03 PM, milehiiu said:

A.) Modern suites and press boxes, running the full length of the West Stands ?

B.) Stadium beer sales.

C.) Pork Tenderloin sandwiches and or Hot Stroms ?

D.) Statue to the winningest Head FB in Indiana University history ?

E.) None of the above.

F.) Some of the above.

G.) Other ( please specify, and note this is about the physical plant, not any individuals, like a new HC.  LOL )

At the Virginia game last year I was impressed with the “old school” feel of the stadium and appeared to be fairly newly built or renovated. The grounds outside around were very nice. If I were going to spend money around IU stadium i would start putting in extensive landscaping with berms and maybe some creek type structures. Try to bring the home feeling to it. I would also use some of the excess land to lease out restaurant pad sites and try to create an outdoor mall type feel and have a couple of hotel lease sites. There is plenty of room and it could be structured with reasonable buyouts if the school needed the sites back. You want people to come to the game and and have a one stop experience and the IU stadium, unlike most stadiums, is uniquely positioned where it has plenty of land and could really be a first class stop. The school would not have to invest much, there are developers that would happily come in and do the development. On that road with the traffic, and the ample ingress and egress, it is a home run that just needs initiative.

1 hour ago, IU Scott said:

Not necessarily because I use to go to games with one of my friends who drank a lot.  We went to a Pacers game once and he probably had 8 beers and that was what turned me off of being around drunk people.  I drove a 95 mustang and  he decided to while I was driving to go to the back seat and if you know anything about Mustang they don't have much room between the seats.  Another thing he was 6'5 and 250 pounds.

At that size I’m surprised he isn’t still stuck in the back seat.

12 hours ago, Payday said:

At the Virginia game last year I was impressed with the “old school” feel of the stadium and appeared to be fairly newly built or renovated. The grounds outside around were very nice. If I were going to spend money around IU stadium i would start putting in extensive landscaping with berms and maybe some creek type structures. Try to bring the home feeling to it. I would also use some of the excess land to lease out restaurant pad sites and try to create an outdoor mall type feel and have a couple of hotel lease sites. There is plenty of room and it could be structured with reasonable buyouts if the school needed the sites back. You want people to come to the game and and have a one stop experience and the IU stadium, unlike most stadiums, is uniquely positioned where it has plenty of land and could really be a first class stop. The school would not have to invest much, there are developers that would happily come in and do the development. On that road with the traffic, and the ample ingress and egress, it is a home run that just needs initiative.

I think those are great ideas.  Thanks for sharing. Not a bad idea to take what works from other schools.  I know Mr. Glass has looked at other programs in terms of enhancing the Memorial experience.

In terms of the grounds, the initial renderings of the SEZ expansion showed beautiful landscaping leading to the entrance.  I was disappointed when I say parking, where there was landscaping planned. 

4 hours ago, rico said:

A fine thread but we got bigger things to worry about.  Such as putting a winning team on the field.  On a regular basis.

I believe putting a better product on the field is and was a given. No question you are correct about that.   My OP was about what improvements, if any to the physical plant would IU fans, and more specifically the great members of this little forum, would like to see.  In fact, I also requested that it be about the plant, and not the players or coaches. I believe that the product on the field, and specifically the coaches, has been addressed in other threads, and most likely will continue to be addressed.

Personally, I think Mr. Glass has done a great job rehabbing an old stadium, that blueprints were first drawn up in the 1950's.  The old saying of "You can't put lipstick on a pig", as far as I am concerned does not apply to what Mr. Glass has done with Memorial Stadium.  But, we are in a war. For recruits.  A war with the rest of college football, and with the rest of the B1G. No question, one of the top football conferences in all of this great nation of ours.  Facilities matter, IMHO.  In order to compete, or at least stay up with other programs, I believe IU must continue to improve the physical plant, and environment so that more fans will be willing to come and cheer our Hoosiers on.  And just or perhaps, even more importantly, more and better recruits will WANT to play in "The Rock."

There has been a great discussion in terms of serving beer may or may not do in increasing the level of enjoyment for IU's fans.  Some for, some against.  For me, anything that can bring more fans into the stands, within reason, is something I am for.

And there have been other suggestions as to what can be done to improve Memorial Stadium.  That's the kind of direction I was looking for, and would like to see more of.

Soap box.........

Stepping off of for now. 

20 minutes ago, milehiiu said:

I believe putting a better product on the field is and was a given. No question you are correct about that.   My OP was about what improvements, if any to the physical plant would IU fans, and more specifically the great members of this little forum, would like to see.  In fact, I also requested that it be about the plant, and not the players or coaches. I believe that the product on the field, and specifically the coaches, has been addressed in other threads, and most likely will continue to be addressed.

Personally, I think Mr. Glass has done a great job rehabbing an old stadium, that blueprints were first drawn up in the 1950's.  The old saying of "You can't put lipstick on a pig", as far as I am concerned does not apply to what Mr. Glass has done with Memorial Stadium.  But, we are in a war. For recruits.  A war with the rest of college football, and with the rest of the B1G. No question, one of the top football conferences in all of this great nation of ours.  Facilities matter, IMHO.  In order to compete, or at least stay up with other programs, I believe IU must continue to improve the physical plant, and environment so that more fans will be willing to come and cheer our Hoosiers on.  And just or perhaps, even more importantly, more and better recruits will WANT to play in "The Rock."

There has been a great discussion in terms of serving beer may or may not do in increasing the level of enjoyment for IU's fans.  Some for, some against.  For me, anything that can bring more fans into the stands, within reason, is something I am for.

And there have been other suggestions as to what can be done to improve Memorial Stadium.  That's the kind of direction I was looking for, and would like to see more of.

Soap box.........

Stepping off of for now. 

Maybe we should put a dome on the stadium so none of the fans would ever have the weather as an excuse to leave early.  it would never be too hot or to cold or windy LOL!.

I think part of getting alcohol sales in game is two fold.  You give people a reason to not have to go back to their tailgate to get a beer, but additionally I wonder if it would curtail binge drinking?  I know many a student and adults who over drink before the game knowing they can’t drink in game.  Maybe having beer in game would help curtail that.  Love the idea of sections with no alcohol as well.

Additionally, I am pretty sure IU tried to stop tailgating a few years ago and force tailgaters into the game and it failed horribly.  Even offering discounted tickets to get people in the game in the tailgate lots didn’t help.  So I am not sure that is the answer.

Personally I would rather see large amounts of money go to retaining and bringing in top coaching talent than upgrading anymore of the stadium at this time.

Good post.

21 minutes ago, iuthruandthru said:

I think part of getting alcohol sales in game is two fold.  You give people a reason to not have to go back to their tailgate to get a beer, but additionally I wonder if it would curtail binge drinking?  I know many a student and adults who over drink before the game knowing they can’t drink in game.  Maybe having beer in game would help curtail that.  Love the idea of sections with no alcohol as well.

Additionally, I am pretty sure IU tried to stop tailgating a few years ago and force tailgaters into the game and it failed horribly.  Even offering discounted tickets to get people in the game in the tailgate lots didn’t help.  So I am not sure that is the answer.

Personally I would rather see large amounts of money go to retaining and bringing in top coaching talent than upgrading anymore of the stadium at this time.

Good post.  And insightful thoughts about beer sales in stadium, that I had not even considered.  It's always disappointing to me , normally, to see the stands no where close to being what they were at the start of games, to begin the second half.

Also forgot about the discounted ticket idea.  Though it failed, does not mean that IU should stop searching for ways to get fans in the stands, and keep them there.  How about freebees like tv's and other neat stuff to be handed out in the 4th quarter ?  Must be present to win.  I know, that is stretching matters.  But whatever it takes to keep the fans for the entire game. 

22 minutes ago, milehiiu said:

Good post.

Good post.  And insightful thoughts about beer sales in stadium, that I had not even considered.  It's always disappointing to me , normally, to see the stands no where close to being what they were at the start of games, to begin the second half.

Also forgot about the discounted ticket idea.  Though it failed, does not mean that IU should stop searching for ways to get fans in the stands, and keep them there.  How about freebees like tv's and other neat stuff to be handed out in the 4th quarter ?  Must be present to win.  I know, that is stretching matters.  But whatever it takes to keep the fans for the entire game. 

You ever been to a Notre Dame game mile?

21 hours ago, IU Scott said:

He got drunk on 8 ? Thats just getting started for some people 

23 minutes ago, rico said:

You ever been to a Notre Dame game mile?

Not sure where you are going with this one. I was just there 2 weeks ago.

No way to compare an IU game to a game in S Bend. All the traditions and experiences we attribute to an IU basketball game are at least matched if not exceeded at an ND football game 

2 minutes ago, Steubenhoosier said:

Not sure where you are going with this one. I was just there 2 weeks ago.

No way to compare an IU game to a game in S Bend. All the traditions and experiences we attribute to an IU basketball game are at least matched if not exceeded at an ND football game 

That is where I am going.

This is all coming from an out of stater who hasn't had an opportunity to make it to a game, so maybe I'm missing something that we already do.

I would like to see a tradition to make things more exciting for fans.  Some kind of tradition that allows fans a unique experience.  Colorado has the buffalo, OSU has the script Ohio, annoying cowbells at Mississippi State, "Jump Around" at Wisconsin (and other music traditions at various schools).  There are all kinds of things out there to get fans excited, we just need to find our thing.  The great thing is, usually what gets the fans excited gets the players excited, so it works in more than one way.

Maybe we could have a sound meter display on the board.  If we get above 105 decibels at any point in the 4th quarter, all fans in the stands get a free drink/taco/lap dance.  Whatever they decide it to be.

Between the 3rd and 4th quarter, there needs to be something to get the crowd excited.  Maybe even opening kickoff of the 2nd half.  Play Living on a Prayer as the first half comes to a close (ohhhh, we're half way there!).  Instead of just touching Hep's Rock, put the damn thing on wheels and have a freaking tank drive it around the stadium while we blast We Will ROCK You.  Have the sound meter on the board with the stadium record to give everybody a goal.  Break the record, everybody gets 25% off all 4th quarter food and drinks.

Every time the other team takes the field for a possession, we play a really girly song.  Let it go from Frozen, Barbie Girl, It's Raining Men, Backstreet Boys.  Something that's the opposite of a pump up song that the crowd thinks is funny as hell and can sing along to.

At this point, I think our stadium is good enough that we can start worrying about the atmosphere instead of the structure.  Or at least both together.

Option D  -   Hang a Big Ten Championship Banner through a concerted effort to create a winning culture at IU; one in which the IU football team can compete (and WIN) against ANY other team in the conference.  In addition, continual sellout crowds who are on waiting lists for tickets due to high demand to see a top notch football team.  

Archived