2018-19 Player Previews: Zach McRoberts

3 hours ago, The Daily Hoosier said:

BTW, what do people think about Zach as a potential Big Ten DPOY winner?

I definitely think that's a possibility. If we finish at the top of the conference and Zach is playing at the level he did last year he should be in the discussion. 

2 minutes ago, dbmhoosier said:

But who?  Archie isn't playing Smith at the 3 I assure you.  

Don't know yet, but I wouldn't say Smith won't play the position as it's sometimes hard to tell who's playing what position on the floor these days.  All I'm saying is that McBob has likely at least mostly reached his ceiling.  With growth during the season, I hope at least one of the recruits with much greater overall potential will climb enough to earn the playing time over McRoberts.

Would be interesting to hear who played in what lineups in the secret scrimmage, we’ll see soon enough in our first game, but I’d bet on some 3-guard lineups mixed in with some more traditional 2 forward and wing lineups — but yes, positionless is in and if Smith is developing an outside jumper he will likely  play significant minutes, same for Al who can play combo, point and possibly wing/small forward in a small ball lineup.

3 hours ago, FKIM01 said:

Don't know yet, but I wouldn't say Smith won't play the position as it's sometimes hard to tell who's playing what position on the floor these days.  All I'm saying is that McBob has likely at least mostly reached his ceiling.  With growth during the season, I hope at least one of the recruits with much greater overall potential will climb enough to earn the playing time over McRoberts.

So if you're playing a guy like Hunter with the starters, who do you want him taking touches and shots away from him? Who in the second unit do you want getting extra shots since we know Zach doesn't shoot much?

Even though Zach has not shot much in his career at IU...he still has a better than 44 % career shooting average.  It's not like he can't shoot at all.  And there were times last season, when I slammed my hands when he passed up open shots.  Having said that... no reason why Zach can't make better decisions,  on the offensive side of the ball, IMHO. 

If I were coach.  Here is what I would tell Zack :  "Hey Zack, see the shot.  Take the shot ! " 

7 hours ago, KoB2011 said:

So if you're playing a guy like Hunter with the starters, who do you want him taking touches and shots away from him? Who in the second unit do you want getting extra shots since we know Zach doesn't shoot much?

No reason for him not to shoot more on the second unit, but this team has shooters beyond the starting five.

Archived