Style of play, offense, and trends

I've been thinking about this.  What other team does Archie's offense most closely resemble and what is the end goal?  With the way the NBA is trending with pace, analytics, so called positionless, and the 3 point explosion, is the more traditional offense like a north Carolina going away?  

Stealing from seeking6 post, "Archie said he thinks this team isn't going to be shooting tons of 3's....they like to get fouled," and elsewhere, that the offense needs work, how do you think this offense flys I'm the face of trends?  

An old recipe for victory was limit turnovers, outrebound opponent, and shoot more free throws.  I think we may wind up like an old Michigan st team and kill people on defense and on the boards this year.  

Thoughts???

19 hours ago, NotIThatLives said:

I've been thinking about this.  What other team does Archie's offense most closely resemble and what is the end goal?  With the way the NBA is trending with pace, analytics, so called positionless, and the 3 point explosion, is the more traditional offense like a north Carolina going away?  

Stealing from seeking6 post, "Archie said he thinks this team isn't going to be shooting tons of 3's....they like to get fouled," and elsewhere, that the offense needs work, how do you think this offense flys I'm the face of trends?  

An old recipe for victory was limit turnovers, outrebound opponent, and shoot more free throws.  I think we may wind up like an old Michigan st team and kill people on defense and on the boards this year.  

Thoughts???

I always have a healthy amount of skepticism with coach speak in October so for all we know Archie is dropping a subtle hint for players to think about. With that said I think we have 2-3 really good shooters (Langford, Hunter, Fitz and probably others) who will shoot plenty of 3's. Will we be Golden St? No. Will we be Kentucky where they rarely shoot 3's? No. Not an earth shattering post on my end but healthy balance. 

I think your Sparty example is a good one. And I'll gladly take the results of what Izzo has done on the court. 

I actually don't like the MSU example although I would love the results of what Sparty has done.  That being said, when IU is good they have "students of the game" on the floor.  Attack your opponents weaknesses and exploit what you can do well.  Limit turnovers, get to the line and we will be fine.  How that translates into comparisons...I don't know.  I haven't seen them play yet.

@rico that is sort of how I feel.  I think Archie is of the same ilk of a Brad Stevens and the former K.  They are, as you said, students of the game.  So far I feel he's sticking to the basics of strong d, rebound, attack the basket(make more free throws than your opponent takes), and hopefully,  our favorite,  limit turnovers.  

In college basketball, those are true and proven recipes.  Shooting like nova last year or gs are probably the exception and not rule.  

4 minutes ago, NotIThatLives said:

@rico that is sort of how I feel.  I think Archie is of the same ilk of a Brad Stevens and the former K.  They are, as you said, students of the game.  So far I feel he's sticking to the basics of strong d, rebound, attack the basket(make more free throws than your opponent takes), and hopefully,  our favorite,  limit turnovers.  

In college basketball, those are true and proven recipes.  Shooting like nova last year or gs are probably the exception and not rule.  

I was also gonna say you adapt to what players you got.  A good coach recognizes this and changes on a game to game situation.

Archived