NFL Talk

rico

• Replies 155
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 4 weeks later...

Colts let Vontae Davis go today....something fishy there. In the presser, Pagano is very vague.

Davis says he's still hurt. Pagano says he was left behind for the Houston game for "non-injury" reasons. 

Sounds like Pagano may be losing control of the locker room a bit....

1 hour ago, Jerry Lundergaard said:

Colts let Vontae Davis go today....something fishy there. In the presser, Pagano is very vague.

Davis says he's still hurt. Pagano says he was left behind for the Houston game for "non-injury" reasons. 

Sounds like Pagano may be losing control of the locker room a bit....

Who knows, but the Colts should have kept Ariens.

56 minutes ago, rico said:

Who knows, but the Colts should have kept Ariens.

Yes, I agree. But like most things in life, the timing has to be right. No way, after the organization, the city and the fan base had just gone through Chuck Strong, were they going to fire Pagano.

1 hour ago, Jerry Lundergaard said:

Yes, I agree. But like most things in life, the timing has to be right. No way, after the organization, the city and the fan base had just gone through Chuck Strong, were they going to fire Pagano.

I think Pagano is gone after this season. I'm guessing Irsay is going to want to land a big fish for head coach, but who which one would be interested in being under Irsay at this point with Luck a question mark going forward?

Bears defense is generally playing better of late, but that offense is offensive to watch. They desperately need some receivers and more help on the O line. Hard to evaluate Trubisky with this supporting cast.

15 hours ago, FritzIam4IU said:

I think Pagano is gone after this season. I'm guessing Irsay is going to want to land a big fish for head coach, but who which one would be interested in being under Irsay at this point with Luck a question mark going forward?

Bears defense is generally playing better of late, but that offense is offensive to watch. They desperately need some receivers and more help on the O line. Hard to evaluate Trubisky with this supporting cast.

How often does a team have a vacancy at head coach and not have question marks at QB?

44 minutes ago, FritzIam4IU said:

Not often, but many thought Pagano would be fired after last season. I think Irsay believed that Luck would draw a big name coach, and that is not as likely to happen now with his injuries.

Not sure this is true.  Big name coaches so rarely change jobs in the NFL.  I think he just waited too long to fire Grigson so he got stuck with Pagano. 

1 hour ago, KoB2011 said:

How often does a team have a vacancy at head coach and not have question marks at QB?

IMO,  all the time.  The easiest way for a coach to get fired is there is no "franchise" QB in place.  To be successful in the league you have to have one.  And then put pieces around him.  There are exceptions to this.  Tampa Bay and Baltimore come quickly to mind.

12 minutes ago, KoB2011 said:

Not sure this is true.  Big name coaches so rarely change jobs in the NFL.  I think he just waited too long to fire Grigson so he got stuck with Pagano. 

He did wait too long to fire Grigson...but he did want a big fish:

http://abcnews.go.com/Sports/jim-irsay-hire-jon-gruden-colts-coach/story?id=44778373

13 minutes ago, rico said:

IMO,  all the time.  The easiest way for a coach to get fired is there is no "franchise" QB in place.  To be successful in the league you have to have one.  And then put pieces around him.  There are exceptions to this.  Tampa Bay and Baltimore come quickly to mind.

Tampa is a good example, I cannot and will not agree that Flacco is a franchise QB. 

• 2 weeks later...

This is the point the NFL needs to grow some balls. Say ok, 100 million is off the table, you kneel during NA you will not play and fined your game check. Do it twice you are done for life. This started with Police shooting, now its turned into Hell who even knows. Its time the owners take their game back. It starting to be to late.

14 hours ago, rico said:

Who do the Colts go after in the draft?

If I were the Colts any and everything starts with making sure Luck is healthy. If you know he's good to go. You hold that top 5 pick in next year's draft and get a ransom for it. Additionally you can expect to get similar worth (2nd round) for Brissett who I think can be an above average QB in NFL.

Assuming those 2 things Colts should have additional 5-6 picks. Have to target OLine, Defense (all positions) first I would think. Ballard has a really good track record of finding speed/skill guys in 3rd round or later so I expect him to strengthen the lines on both sides first.

33 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

If I were the Colts any and everything starts with making sure Luck is healthy. If you know he's good to go. You hold that top 5 pick in next year's draft and get a ransom for it. Additionally you can expect to get similar worth (2nd round) for Brissett who I think can be an above average QB in NFL.

Assuming those 2 things Colts should have additional 5-6 picks. Have to target OLine, Defense (all positions) first I would think. Ballard has a really good track record of finding speed/skill guys in 3rd round or later so I expect him to strengthen the lines on both sides first.

How strong is the draft going to be? Depending on where the Colts end up and how strong it is will play a big factor on how much they can get for trading down their first round pick. I haven't paid much attention this year so I have no idea how strong a class this will be.

Even if Luck is thought to be healthy I would hang onto Brissett just in case there are other setbacks.

I believe the Bears will be in a situation where they will potentially trade down their first round pick as well since they moved up to take Trubisky last year and have a fair amount of holes to fill especially receivers.

12 minutes ago, FritzIam4IU said:

How strong is the draft going to be? Depending on where the Colts end up and how strong it is will play a big factor on how much they can get for trading down their first round pick. I haven't paid much attention this year so I have no idea how strong a class this will be.

Even if Luck is thought to be healthy I would hang onto Brissett just in case there are other setbacks.

I believe the Bears will be in a situation where they will potentially trade down their first round pick as well since they moved up to take Trubisky last year and have a fair amount of holes to fill especially receivers.

Just responding to last part. As a lifelong Bears fan I don't trust a single soul in the entire organization. We traded up 1 spot (lost picks/spots) to draft who I thought was the 3rd or 4th best qb available (Watson as a draft choice or Jimmy G/Jacoby Brissett). So to answer your point...I don't want Pace in charge of any decisions on how to trade up down sideways for extra picks.

Besides Mitch...he also chose Shaheen as his 2nd round choice (would have been around 4 rounds later). Yesterday in week 13 the Bears 2nd round choice played 9 snaps. No targets. Our free agency/off season acquisitions make Grigson look appealing. 

Archived