NFL Talk

rico

I'll be shocked if Colts don't hire Toub. Ballard and him were together in Chicago and KC. His presser yesterday said how important that relationship is to an organization. Toub won't be the flashy hire but a very good one.

In terms of my Bears. I just can't understand how Pace who has far more misses than hits gets tied to next coach again. I know he was told to hire Fox and being a company guy he agreed. Problem I have is that if he truly is in charge why didn't he do the responsible thing last year and fire Fox/retain Gase who could develop a young QB since that was the strategy going into the draft.

I want the Bears to be good but their lack of transparency, record over last 3 years....nothing says lets go extend a guy who was at least 50% responsible for not finding any wide receivers (after injuries), for giving Glennon $18M in guaranteed $, for taking Mitch when Watson was the obvious choice.....drafting a no name TE who doesn't play with your 2nd round pick....for swinging and missing on all free agency signings besides Trevathan. I could go on  and on.

• Replies 155
  • Created
  • Last Reply
11 hours ago, FritzIam4IU said:

Bengals sign Marvin Lewis to a new two year deal. How on Earth does he keep his job? Does he have something on the Bengals owner? He has more lives than a cat. If I were a Bengals fan I would be beyond pissed.

Never understood it after I started asking this about 10 years ago. He either has pictures or knows where the bodies are buried. 

11 hours ago, FritzIam4IU said:

Bengals sign Marvin Lewis to a new two year deal. How on Earth does he keep his job? Does he have something on the Bengals owner? He has more lives than a cat. If I were a Bengals fan I would be beyond pissed.

That was a real head scratcher.  And the Bengals fans are beyond pissed!

Gruden's record the last 6 years in Tampa ( does not include taking Dungy's players to the Super Bowl his first season) was 45-49 regular season and 0-2 in the playoffs. 

So, what's the hype? Typical Raiders move- overpaying to make a splash. Style over substance, imo. 

Gruden should have stayed in the broadcast booth 

On 1/5/2018 at 6:01 PM, Jerry Lundergaard said:

Gruden's record the last 6 years in Tampa ( does not include taking Dungy's players to the Super Bowl his first season) was 45-49 regular season and 0-2 in the playoffs. 

So, what's the hype? Typical Raiders move- overpaying to make a splash. Style over substance, imo. 

Gruden should have stayed in the broadcast booth 

I really liked Gruden in the booth and for his all-around NFL knowledge and how he articulated so well on the air.  That being said maybe some other forces are at work here?  ESPN is in financial trouble and in the "trimming fat" mode.  Is Gruden seeing some writing on the wall with the network's future?  I dunno, but it could be.

I'm torn (as always) on Nagy. Reid speaks so highly of him, took over play calling over last 4 regular season games (went 4-0), strong QB development are the pros. Cons. They had 8 designed rush plays in 2nd half Saturday. Not saying that means much (Shanahan meltdown for Atlanta vs Pats in SB didn't hurt him at San Fran this year) but it's a concern. Another concern? I feel like we must have been told no by many for us to pull the trigger this quick. 

My biggest concern is always roster. I don't trust Pace enough still. So I guess I'm just 50/50 on the hire. Wouldn't expect anything else from the Bears. 

40 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

I'm torn (as always) on Nagy. Reid speaks so highly of him, took over play calling over last 4 regular season games (went 4-0), strong QB development are the pros. Cons. They had 8 designed rush plays in 2nd half Saturday. Not saying that means much (Shanahan meltdown for Atlanta vs Pats in SB didn't hurt him at San Fran this year) but it's a concern. Another concern? I feel like we must have been told no by many for us to pull the trigger this quick. 

My biggest concern is always roster. I don't trust Pace enough still. So I guess I'm just 50/50 on the hire. Wouldn't expect anything else from the Bears. 

I'm not sold either and have a wait and see attitude with Nagy. However, from everything I have read the Bears targeted him and he was their 1st choice. Pace apparently stayed the night in Kansas City after the interview to secure him. There is a report today from Kaplan that he was the Colts top choice as well. There is also some reports that Reid was calling the plays in the second half of that playoff game.

https://www.arrowheadpride.com/2018/1/8/16863070/the-chiefs-playcalling-mystery-continues

15 minutes ago, FritzIam4IU said:

I'm not sold either and have a wait and see attitude with Nagy. However, from everything I have read the Bears targeted him and he was their 1st choice. Pace apparently stayed the night in Kansas City after the interview to secure him. There is a report today from Kaplan that he was the Colts top choice as well. There is also some reports that Reid was calling the plays in the second half of that playoff game.

https://www.arrowheadpride.com/2018/1/8/16863070/the-chiefs-playcalling-mystery-continues

I went back and forth with Kap on this before. He told us a couple weeks ago that candidates who are interested in job was top level. We hire Nagy. Sorry...that isn't top level. I think the Colts want McDaniels or Toub with the prior being the priority. I love Kap. He was summoned by Knight shortly after dismissal to do a story about his firing. He and Crean used to share hotel rooms back in the day while recruiting. He's a good guy with a great history....but to say the Colts were all in on hiring Nagy is just wrong. 

36 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

I went back and forth with Kap on this before. He told us a couple weeks ago that candidates who are interested in job was top level. We hire Nagy. Sorry...that isn't top level. I think the Colts want McDaniels or Toub with the prior being the priority. I love Kap. He was summoned by Knight shortly after dismissal to do a story about his firing. He and Crean used to share hotel rooms back in the day while recruiting. He's a good guy with a great history....but to say the Colts were all in on hiring Nagy is just wrong. 

I am not sure who the Colts top target is...but I predicted McDaniels to Colts so I will stick by that...it seems to be the best fit.

The longer the Colts search goes on the longer it tells me that McDaniels will be the guy. Makes sense with others taking jobs already. They were told by Ballard they won't be deciding anytime soon and maybe some wanted to grab a job before being left without a chair when the music stops. 

I think at this point McDaniels is the guy for the Colts.  He’s been a HC before (unlike Vrable), and he could be OC if no one appealing is left after we are allowed to make the hire (when Pats lose or win SB).  If he is the guy, he must be sold on Luck returning for next season.  If he is the guy, it will be interesting to see what assistants he’s able to get since there’s been a lot of people take jobs already.

Archived