Best "small" to play for IU ?

I believe there is a division between the NBA and college BB in terms of what is considered being a small.  To me, small, in college is 6-0 and under.  And I realize some may take issue with me in terms of what they consider to be small in college.  However when I offered up Yogi, that is the height I was thinking. Knowing that listed heights can be inaccurate at times.

Isiah was listed at 6-0. So that, to me is a good choice.

Jimmy Rayl and Quinn Buckner if I recall correctly were listed at 6-3 or better.  Which might have qualified them as small in the NBA, but not for college ball.  Again.... in my mind. Also, as I have posted in the past, Milo Komenich from Gary Lew Wallace was listed at 6-8 when he went into the NBA.... and at that time was considered to be the first big man in the NBA.  

Sorry for the confusion.

And with 6-0 being the top height.... any other smalls for IU, come to mind ?

6 minutes ago, milehiiu said:

I believe there is a division between the NBA and college BB in terms of what is considered being a small.  To me, small, in college is 6-0 and under.  And I realize some may take issue with me in terms of what they consider to be small in college.  However when I offered up Yogi, that is the height I was thinking. Knowing that listed heights can be inaccurate at times.

Jimmy Rayl and Quinn Buckner if I recall correctly were listed at 6-3 or better.  Which might have qualified them as small in the NBA, but not for college ball.  Again.... in my mind. Also, as I have posted in the past, Milo Komenich from Gary Lew Wallace was listed at 6-8 when he went into the NBA.... and at that time was considered to be the first big man in the NBA.  

Sorry for the confusion.

Thanks for defining "small".  BTW......

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1979–80_Indiana_Hoosiers_men's_basketball_team

Well, I can only speak about my lifetime.  If the mark is 6 foot and under, Yogi wins hands down.  Now we can debate what their actual height was.  I met Isiah once in Fort Wayne.....I was as tall as him and I am 5-10.  One guy that probably would have started at a lot of programs when he played was Jamal Meeks......met him too, he was shorter than me but I think they listed him at 6-1.  But he could dunk.......as could I.

I don't believe Isiah was over 6 feet.  That kind of stuff is always stretched and the other Isaiah Thomas admitted as much in an article I posted earlier and pulled back off as soon as I realized it was the wrong guy.

I'd be surprised if Zeke was over 6 foot and as such, he's definitely my all-time best "small", with no offense to Yogi who was very good at IU.

Tough question, there have been so many great ones.

I think Steve Alford got more out of his abilities than any other guard I've seen in 'candy stripes', but, he wasn't the best.

Quinn Buckner sacrificed more of his game for the teams sake, and was probably the best in my lifetime at running the team, and being an extension of the coach on the court, but, still not the best IMO.

I have to say Isaiah Thomas was the best...... I think!

3 hours ago, milehiiu said:

Sorry for the confusion.

Dang!! Wikipedia lists Rayl at 6'2"...so he doesn't qualify.  The Splendid Splinter goes for 56 twice.  

4 minutes ago, Billingsley99 said:

You cant count those. He took too many shots VBG. just playing.  in a very good cheerful mood in spite of the rain😀😀

As I have mentioned before. I saw both of those games that Jimmy scored 56 points in.  Still upset with Branch for taking Jimmy out of the game with something like four minutes left.... when Jimmy tied his school record he had set,  from the year before. 

14 minutes ago, milehiiu said:

As I have mentioned before. I saw both of those games that Jimmy scored 56 points in.  Still upset with Branch for taking Jimmy out of the game with something like four minutes left.... when Jimmy tied his school record he had set,  from the year before. 

That would be something awesome to behold

23 minutes ago, Billingsley99 said:

You cant count those. He took too many shots VBG. just playing.  in a very good cheerful mood in spite of the rain😀😀

Yeah, but remember, there were no three pointers back then and McKrackern took him out, at least in the Minnesota game, with over six minutes remaining.

He still is probably the best pure scoring guard to ever play for IU.

Archived