Harlond Beverly Commits to Miami

KDB

4 hours ago, Parakeet Jones said:

Can he shoot?

His knock is his deep ball....imagine that. He is a bouncy big CG that has a nice floater and seems to be able to finish and get to the rim. He seems to look for fancy play sometimes...honestly reminds me of Green on offense in his home run style but he is bigger and probably better finisher. Can shoot but I wouldn’t call him a shooter...so yes Indiana says he fits perfectly into what we do. We don’t recruit shooters. Those guys can all play for Purdue and kick our butts every year.

• Replies 141
  • Created
  • Last Reply
55 minutes ago, dgambill said:

Fall back if Keion falls through??? Possibility as well. Can’t see how else the kid finds the playing time on this roster otherwise.

Fall back if Devonte isn’t with the team next year. No I’m not hoping for it, but given RP and this suspension wouldn’t rule it out. 

I'm a bit concerned our next recruiting class doesn't have a pure shooter. I mean a slashing guard who can hit some threes is fine and all, but we've got huge spacing issues on the floor right now because everyone knows we can't hit the broad side of the barn and packs it in on us. Can't believe that fourth may not be used to address a HUGE hole. 

Just now, ArchieBall13 said:

I'm a bit concerned our next recruiting class doesn't have a pure shooter. I mean a slashing guard who can hit some threes is fine and all, but we've got huge spacing issues on the floor right now because everyone knows we can't hit the broad side of the barn and packs it in on us. Can't believe that fourth may not be used to address a HUGE hole. 

Archie is probably counting on Al and Rob to improve. Jerome to be healthy and probably Damezi being able to contribute more reliably. 

Rob and Al are both over 40 percent btw

3 minutes ago, ArchieBall13 said:

I watched some highlights of the Indianapolis City Tourney last night on YouTube and Franklin hit 6 or 7 3's and looked really comfortable shooting the 3.

Well that is great news on Franklin if he can help give us that lift from 3. I hope Durham and Phinisee can be those guys too...I actually defended in favor of Durham's 3 point ability earlier this season when someone was questioning his jumper, but only in the sense that he's a capable shooter (not a dead eye shooter). I trust Phinisee's shot more than Durham at the moment, he's probably our best three point shooter on the team today without looking at stats. 

If Jerome and Franklin are able to consistently knock down threes when they're left open, then that may be enough...I hope. As it stands today, teams are daring us to hit open shots and it's killing our offensive schemes. 

18 minutes ago, CoachSS said:

I don't disagree but part of the shooting is that Langford has been so poor. 

Durham, Phinisee have shot the ball VERY well this season but Langford's ability to hit the "3", given his usage and minutes, has really cramped the offensive flow and rhythm. 

I'd counter that:

Durham- Shooting it very well. 

Phinisee- Shooting it extremely well. 

Hunter- Sounds like this was part of his game that had really, really improved since high school. 

Armaan Franklin- Sure, it's high school but he has been ON FIRE. The game I was at he was 4-4. He was 5-6 against Zionsville and two nights ago was 6-8 from three. 

Anderson- Phenomenal shooter but hasn't really found a rhythm or been given much of a chance at IU. When he has been afforded some rhythm and playing time, he has done well shooting. Of course, have to go back a while. In B2B games against Arkansas and UT-Arlington he was 4-5 from deep. 

Of course it is a concern but I think it will addressed with different people shooting next year and general, across-the-board improvement. 

To me it is all about confidence when you are talking shooting.  Our players when they go up for their shot does not shoot with confidence and they seem timid to shoot.

5 hours ago, CoachSS said:

Indeed.

Random stat:

In this 5-game losing streak...

McRoberts, Langford, Fitzner from "3": 4-29

Durham, Phinisee from "3": 9-27 

Neither statistic is overly good but the usage of the Langford triumvirate was/ is so high. The fact Al and Rob have hit more than double the amount of 3's in fewer attempts probably continues to speak further volumes about this current crop's outside shooting. 

On the season, Durham is 39.6 % and Phinisee is 40.5%. Those are very, very good numbers. 

Given Romeo hit probably half of his 3s in a short stretch against Maryland when he got hot that definitely isnt good. This team is missing that guy that can hit that corner 3. How many times have we seen a drive and kick to the corner to Smith or McRoberts and they are hesitant or not confident to knock that shot down....then the defense recovers and the shot clock runs down. Going to be a tough game tonight but honestly after that quick start by Michigan we out played them the last 30 minutes. Hopefully we come out with energy and focus.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived