Clifton Moore- A game changer?

Reacher

While looking for IU news, I came across this-

https://indiana.rivals.com/news/miller-moore-has-chance-to-show-glimpses-of-his-potential-in-year-one

"Just recently, ESPN's Jonathan Givony released his 2019 NBA mock draft and projected Moore as the No. 24 overall pick - as a sophomore."

If Moore is indeed NBA potential, I think it will be a game changer for the the teams prospects this season. No longer are we worrying about depth behind Davis.

What do you see as Moore's ceiling? Any reports from practice as to how he has been doing?

Always skeptical about propping a freshman until he proves it consistently against D-1 talent. 

As far as the comparison to OG- OG as a freshman was able to come in and play well when the focus was on other players. As a Sophomore, when expectations were much higher, we didn't get to see much of a sample size of whether he could play up to the hype.

Point being, let the kid settle in and be himself before making comparisons to others 

8 minutes ago, Jerry Lundergaard said:

Always skeptical about propping a freshman until he proves it consistently against D-1 talent. 

As far as the comparison to OG- OG as a freshman was able to come in and play well when the focus was on other players. As a Sophomore, when expectations were much higher, we didn't get to see much of a sample size of whether he could play up to the hype.

Point being, let the kid settle in and be himself before making comparisons to others 

I'm not comparing Moore to O.G. the player,I was meaning taking a similar path as far as them being underrated as high school players to showing up on draft boards in a short amount of time in College.

6 minutes ago, HoosierJax said:

I'm not comparing Moore to O.G. the player,I was meaning taking a similar path as far as them being underrated as high school players to showing up on draft boards in a short amount of time in College.

Gotcha. I misinterpreted what you meant 

I've read various comments from our fans relating to the disappointment in Crean's last classes, but I've seen time and time again, Crean bring in classes that on the surface, look ordinary, but end up proving to possess much more talent than the "experts" recognize. Clifton Moore could be yet another example of a guy that didn't stand out when he committed but ultimately became a star with NBA potential. No one saw Oladipo or Anunoby coming and there's nothing Crean did better than identify underrated talent.

4 minutes ago, FKIM01 said:

I've read various comments from our fans relating to the disappointment in Crean's last classes, but I've seen time and time again, Crean bring in classes that on the surface, look ordinary, but end up proving to possess much more talent than the "experts" recognize. Clifton Moore could be yet another example of a guy that didn't stand out when he committed but ultimately became a star with NBA potential. No one saw Oladipo or Anunoby coming and there's nothing Crean did better than identify underrated talent.

Since we currently don't have a thumb's up emoticon...... I will simply say :  "Thumbs up ! "

38 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

We can be cautious but still be very excited that someone considered an 'expert' sees that kind of potential.  

That's how I took it. Always nice to get some validation from someone not biased towards IU.

4 minutes ago, FKIM01 said:

I think everyone looked at Justin Smith as the potential star in this class. Smith and or Moore developing into an First or Second Team All B1G ten type would be awesome.

The biggest factor in a possible emergence of Moore is what that could mean for this years team. I think it has the potential to move us up a few spots in the conference.

11 hours ago, Reacher said:

That's how I took it. Always nice to get some validation from someone not biased towards IU.

I think everyone looked at Justin Smith as the potential star in this class. Smith and or Moore developing into an First or Second Team All B1G ten type would be awesome.

The biggest factor in a possible emergence of Moore is what that could mean for this years team. I think it has the potential to move us up a few spots in the conference.

I think it's more likely he develops into a strong soph, which sort of mirrors his NBA prospect tracking. Kid with tools who needs to develop physically and adjust to college tempo, with a lot of upside. Will be fun to watch him grow as a player. If he turns out to be a legit NBA prospect, well, fantastic.

Had a crazy couple weeks with busy life getting in the way of posting. I loved this article. Thanks for posting Reacher! I had no idea he was even on the nba radar, even two years down the road. I'm even more interested to see this kid hit the court this year, especially after reading Morgan's comments about his wanting to learn. Sounds like a young talent with the right attitude who could blossom into a serious baller. I'll take it! 

I think Moore has a chance to have a freshman year similar to OG's.  This quote from Archie about what he's hoping to see from Moore this season sounds exactly like OG's trajectory:

"My hope is that he can help us with multiple positions in the frontcourt with our depth, and I think that, as the season applies into January, February, March, you can see a guy really blossom into what we think is going to be a star here one day."

And looking at the team photo, Moore is a legit 6'10.  I'm excited to see what he can do.

Archived