The laugh at Purdue Thread...

FKIM01

Nojel may be the best defensive player I have ever seen.  His performance last night against Persons and last year against Tony Carr were something special.  Keep it up young man!  Boiler Up!

Best defensive player EVER. I’m sorry but that’s not even laughable. Somewhere beyond that.

Shut down a Ball State player for one half a game... Wasn’t trying to start an argument, but cmon. That’s ridiculous.

The way you talk about Romeo makes it even more apparent you have no idea what you’re talking about. I expect zero points from Romeo with Nojel guarding him. Nothing less from the greatest defensive player ever. Just wow.

• Replies 466
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 minutes ago, Steubenhoosier said:

Unfortunately, at least as far as the IU/PU forums are concerned, Yogi's mom set the precedence a few years back

I saw some of her posts....but I  don't recall her ever being this active on a message board. I know the staff had to talk with her about twitter but didn't realize the message board component was anywhere near Nojel's Mom.

9 hours ago, FKIM01 said:

He's been fine.  His stroke has to adjust to all of the weight training and then his accuracy will improve.  He's also been very unselfish. 

He'd absolutely abuse Ryan Cline.

Yeah, I’m not concerned about Romeo at all — would obviously love for him to get matched up with Cline.  I’m just saying that his relatively slow start in the cupcake games hasn’t done much to disabuse Purdue fans of the notion that he was overrated coming into the season.

In addition to him getting more comfortable, I think the rest of the team needs to do a better job of getting him the ball.

14 minutes ago, FW_Hoosier said:

Yeah, I’m not concerned about Romeo at all — would obviously love for him to get matched up with Cline.  I’m just saying that his relatively slow start in the cupcake games hasn’t done much to disabuse Purdue fans of the notion that he was overrated coming into the season.

In addition to him getting more comfortable, I think the rest of the team needs to do a better job of getting him the ball.

I would rather have Romeo average 15.5 points on 60 percent shooting for a good, well balanced team than have him average 27 points a game on 42 percent shooting as a one man show for a mediocre team.  Purdue fans that are questioning Romeo's start are too stupid to realize the difference.

9 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

I would rather have Romeo average 15.5 points on 60 percent shooting for a good, well balanced team than have him average 27 points a game on 42 percent shooting as a one man show for a mediocre team.  Purdue fans that are questioning Romeo's start are too stupid to realize the difference.

Don’t think 15.5 ppg will cut it once we get into the meat of the schedule... This team is going to need his offense.

4 minutes ago, FW_Hoosier said:

Don’t think 15.5 ppg will cut it once we get into the meat of the schedule... This team is going to need his offense.

I encourage you to go look up Isiah Thomas' s scoring stats.  Impacting a game and leading a team to success is not always reflected in ppg.  

Romeo is only two official games into his freshman season.  With the team being so deep he will not be relied upon to drop 30 points every night like I think Carson Edwards will have to for his team to win games, let Romeo average 16ppg to 20ppg.  He improves us more IMO by recognizing where he needs to be at on the floor to help make a play if the team becomes stagnant and by drawing defenders off of the other players and finding the open man multiples times throughout the game then trying to get 4 or 5 more ppg.  He will get his games where he scores 20 and 30. 

7 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

I encourage you to go look up Isiah Thomas' s scoring stats.  Impacting a game and leading a team to success is not always reflected in ppg.  

Comparing a 5’11 point guard to Romeo?  Romeo’s best attribute is his scoring ability... That’s the way he’s going to affect the game the most.  I’ve also been encouraged by what he’s shown on defense on the perimeter and his willingness to get his teammates involved, but we’re going to need him to put the ball in the basket to be successful.

5 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

When we need Romeo to score 30 points  to win a particular game,  Romeo will score 30 points.

My Christmas wish is for him to hang 30 on Eastern.

...but seriously,  I would be fine if Nojel held him to 10-12 with 8 assists and a 20-point spanking of the toiletmakers. I think Romeo would be fine with that too, especially if he fouled Nojel out.

15 minutes ago, FW_Hoosier said:

Comparing a 5’11 point guard to Romeo?  Romeo’s best attribute is his scoring ability... That’s the way he’s going to affect the game the most.  I’ve also been encouraged by what he’s shown on defense on the perimeter and his willingness to get his teammates involved, but we’re going to need him to put the ball in the basket to be successful.

And he is doing that at a 60 percent clip from the field.  Yes, his FT shooting is a little worrisome.  But, I am not worried about his perimeter scoring at all.  He can score 30 easily without taking a 3 pointer.

11 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

And he is doing that at a 60 percent clip from the field.  Yes, his FT shooting is a little worrisome.  But, I am not worried about his perimeter scoring at all.  He can score 30 easily without taking a 3 pointer.

Don't you remember today you can only shoot 3's or layups to be efficient LOL!

14 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

Like I said, I’m not worried about him at all either.  Eagerly awaiting those 30 point games to shut up the doubters.

2 hours ago, Seeking6 said:

I saw some of her posts....but I  don't recall her ever being this active on a message board. I know the staff had to talk with her about twitter but didn't realize the message board component was anywhere near Nojel's Mom.

Yogi's mom was quite active on one other IU fanboard. And it is true about the violation she made once on her twitter account.  I got in touch with IU's compliance office about it. Not to get her in trouble, but to let IU know about it.  And I got a very nice reply back, telling me they were already aware of it, and requested Yogi's mom to take the tweet down.... which she did.  They thanked me for reporting it, and asked me to stay in contact any time I saw any more possible infractions in the future. 

Purdue fans doing their best to rationalize that Phinisee is not good, they really didn't need him, Eastern is better, etc.

IndySouthsider said: 
We missed out on Phinesee.
Phinesee is not as good a NE or Hunter.

4 *4purdue*, Sunday at 8:57 PM 
Last edited: Monday at 7:30 PM

(I think he's already better than Eastern in every aspect except defense and rebounding.  Definitely better than Eric Hunter as well.)

IndySouthsider said: 
Again point stands Phinisee was a miss. Nothing untold about admitting it.
He would not play on this team. He was not a miss... CMP had Hunter, NE and Thompson in the fold. This team did not and won’t need him.

No one is saying Rob is a bad player, he just had no spot on our team with who we recruited over him.

It's not that hard of a concept to grasp I don't think. IU need him more than we did. Again, it wasn't a miss and he is a good player, we just statistically have better players that fill the role so he wouldn't have any minutes.

(I'd love to know what players Purdue has either playing or committed that are statistically better at the PG position...in scoring and distributing, it's not Eastern.)

Phinessee is a little stronger. Isaiah is a lot better shooter.

(I doubt that too, but go ahead and tell yourself it wasn't a big miss.)
Odd that Purdue fans are mostly silent or complementary after last night...

1 minute ago, PoHoosier said:

Which of Purdue's players had an 8 assist night over a ranked opponent this season?

Certainly not all of their fans are clowns, right?

All PU fans are clowns, I play fantasy football with 6 graduates from PU and they wouldn't accept the fact that the rankings early in the season are primary based off of last years results and a wild guess at what each team could be this season.  Nova is a perfect example, they lost 4 of their top 6 players on the team from last year, won the freaking title and still came into this season ranked in the top 10..  I am sorry but getting blown out by a #18 team in your building is downright bad and embarrasing.  Nova should not have been ranked in the top 10 and for that matter in the top 20.  They lost too much power this offseason although one could make the argument for them to be in the 20s MAYBE. 

Now the argument as to why is Purdue ranked?  Yes Carson Edwards is a really good player and has votes for AP player of the year I get that(this is why they are ranked is due to Carson Edwards and Maybe Just Maybe Matt Harmes) but they lost 4 of their 5 starters and 70% of their scoring output from last season. 

Both Nova and PU were way over ranked.  Nova should have started out in the 20s and PU should of been given in the 40s somewhere on KenPom. 

17 minutes ago, PoHoosier said:

Which of Purdue's players had an 8 assist night over a ranked opponent this season?

Certainly not all of their fans are clowns, right?

There are some over there that attempt to inject some sanity into the conversation but they are immediately shouted down and accused of being closet Hoosier fans.  They are doing their best to ignore IU's big win last night.  About the only thing they are willing to say is how overrated Marquette was...LOL...I'm sure Ball State is much better.

7 minutes ago, FKIM01 said:

There are some over there that attempt to inject some sanity into the conversation but they are immediately shouted down and accused of being closet Hoosier fans.  They are doing their best to ignore IU's big win last night.  About the only thing they are willing to say is how overrated Marquette was...LOL...I'm sure Ball State is much better.

The same fans that think Minnesota is underrated in football?  LOL

I’ll give them the benefit of the doubt on the point that they didn’t ‘need’ another point guard, but the idea that Phinisee isn’t better than what they already had onboard is laughable. I’m going to go out on a limb and say that when it’s all said and done that Phinisee if the best guard between him, Eastern, Hunter, Thompson and Carsen Edwards. 

2 minutes ago, BGleas said:

I’ll give them the benefit of the doubt on the point that they didn’t ‘need’ another point guard, but the idea that Phinisee isn’t better than what they already had onboard is laughable. I’m going to go out on a limb and say that when it’s all said and done that Phinisee if the best guard between him, Eastern, Hunter, Thompson and Carsen Edwards. 

The only one who has an obvious argument is Carson and I only say that now.  As a freshman, he likely wasn't better. 

...and I agree...Phin is just going to get better and that's a scary prospect for other schools.

5 minutes ago, BGleas said:

You wouldn't be going out on a limb, he's better than 3 of them right now.

Archived