Jump to content

Suggestions Please


Recommended Posts

I have a bit of exciting news -- The Daily Hoosier is season credentialed for this 2018-19 basketball season.  I am not telling you that to brag.  Sure, I am thrilled with how far the site has come in just a year, but I am actually genuinely concerned.  Going down to Bloomington for every game (I live on the north side of Indy) is a big time commitment.  Moreover, in my experience, actually being at the game doesn't add much to covering it except for being in the press room -- but even that everyone can see the videos that emerge.

So the point here is more of a request.  I DO NOT want to go down there for every game and just churn out a "beat report" like 10 other outlets will do.  To me that is pointless.  

I am curious if anyone has thoughts, idea, suggestions on approaches to covering games.  For example, is there anything that you always wished that someone would do, or wondered why no one does -- things like that. 

Feel free to send me a private message.

Also, in thinking about continuing to grow, I am considering how best to do that.  What keeps coming back to me is finding a partner that is as passionate, invested and available as I am to join forces with.  If you have any thoughts on that I would take those as well.

Thank you HSN for all of your support.

Mike

  • Like 6
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Congrats on credentials! In terms of what to report that isn't a chalk report my suggestion is this. Find the best in the business at what they do.....and plagiarize. Haha! The type of information I'd like is probably not the kind you can share.

One thing I think that would be unique is if you did a weekly series Q and A with players parents/siblings/guardians....ask them about the recruiting process, ask them about how often they come to Bloomington, favorite places in Bloomington,etc....programs often advertise how big of a family they are. Talking with the family members makes it feels like one. The players would probably get a kick out of their Mom or Dad being interviewed instead of them.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

15 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

Congrats on credentials! In terms of what to report that isn't a chalk report my suggestion is this. Find the best in the business at what they do.....and plagiarize. Haha! The type of information I'd like is probably not the kind you can share.

One thing I think that would be unique is if you did a weekly series Q and A with players parents/siblings/guardians....ask them about the recruiting process, ask them about how often they come to Bloomington, favorite places in Bloomington,etc....programs often advertise how big of a family they are. Talking with the family members makes it feels like one. The players would probably get a kick out of their Mom or Dad being interviewed instead of them.

So a funny thing about access to players and their families -- it is all controlled by IU, and generally no one gets special access.  I now have to laugh when I see people label themselves as "Insiders" or in the locker room.  Basically everyone goes to the same press conferences and has the same access  -- and then we all can watch all of those press conferences typically minutes later.  No one goes in the locker room as has free reign.  Sure there are a couple exceptions throughout the year with a special interview but those seem to be by far the exception.

It is a whole new world from when I was a kid growing up and couldn't wait to read the Indy Star's account of the game and quotes from players and coaches.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I will give it a shot angle wise.  Most of us here are going to be watching it or listening to the game.  I like to read stories about lifetime IU fans that are taking in their first game in AH.  How far they have traveled and such.  Work with the fans.  I am sure that at every game there is a very special story.  Just a thought.

  • Like 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

The thing I like best after games is when someone takes the time to dive into a deeper analysis of the game to come up with a list of 5 to 10 things (positive and negative) that impacted the game. I realize it is time consuming and I am not sure you would even have the time to do it, but it is usually done by someone recording the game and watching it a few times (not necessarily attending) which could help with your issue of attending every game.

Things I like to read are adjustments by CAM, break each half into smaller segments and some ideas on why we won or lost that segment, where did we break down on defense, what did we do differently on offense (besides making shots vs. missing them) that led to more efficient scoring, etc. One of the things I really like about this site is there are a lot of knowledgeable people about the game of basketball. Reading some of the fine details from other posters (outside of the final score, rebounds, and other stats that we can get from the box score) that they look for that often lead to teams winning or losing, so the day after analysis and discussion is very interesting to me. Even if some disagree with your take on things, most on here can disagree respectfully and still appreciate your insight.

Just my thoughts.

 

Edited by IUaic
  • Like 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, rico said:

I will give it a shot angle wise.  Most of us here are going to be watching it or listening to the game.  I like to read stories about lifetime IU fans that are taking in their first game in AH.  How far they have traveled and such.  Work with the fans.  I am sure that at every game there is a very special story.  Just a thought.

I like that.  Thank you.  With 17K there, no doubt you are right about that.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, IUaic said:

The thing I like best after games is when someone takes the time to dive into a deeper analysis of the game to come up with a list of 5 to 10 things (positive and negative) that impacted the game. I realize it is time consuming and I am not sure you would even have the time to do it, but it is usually done by someone recording the game and watching it a few times (not necessarily attending) which could help with your issue of attending every game.

Things I like to read are adjustments by CAM, break each half into smaller segments and some ideas on why we won or lost that segment, where did we break down on defense, what did we do differently on offense (besides making shots vs. missing them) that led to more efficient scoring, etc. One of the things I really like about this site is there are a lot of knowledgeable people about the game of basketball. Reading some of the fine details from other posters (outside of the final score, rebounds, and other stats that we can get from the box score) that they look for that often lead to teams winning or losing, so the day after analysis and discussion is very interesting to me. Even if some disagree with your take on things, most on here can disagree respectfully and still appreciate your insight.

Just my thoughts.

 

That's awesome.  Definitely taking those thoughts into account.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, The Daily Hoosier said:

So a funny thing about access to players and their families -- it is all controlled by IU, and generally no one gets special access.  I now have to laugh when I see people label themselves as "Insiders" or in the locker room.  Basically everyone goes to the same press conferences and has the same access  -- and then we all can watch all of those press conferences typically minutes later.  No one goes in the locker room as has free reign.  Sure there are a couple exceptions throughout the year with a special interview but those seem to be by far the exception.

 It is a whole new world from when I was a kid growing up and couldn't wait to read the Indy Star's account of the game and quotes from players and coaches.

2

What normally separates insiders is there connections. They have someone who lets them know and if they are reliable then they will continue to publish the info that person inside the program gives them.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 minutes ago, RomeoFanatic said:

What normally separates insiders is there connections. They have someone who lets them know and if they are reliable then they will continue to publish the info that person inside the program gives them.

That is undeniably true.  My comment was more directed at the suggestion to interview players and their families.  Connections won't help (too much) there.

Some out there clearly have better connections than others.  Query how much value that really adds to the discourse though.  I follow all of the outlets closely, and I can't tell you of a time over the last year where someone had anything of real value from an "insider" perspective that came out, save for maybe stealing the thunder of Juwan Morgan's decision to return by a couple hours or something like that.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Here's someone I would love for you to interview.  Marie Anderson.  She has been a member of IU's event staff since 1984.  Normally you can see her on tv, right behind the tv broadcast table.  Having been there for so long, I am sure she has a ton of stories she can share.

 IU Event Services Staff Help to Make Assembly Hall Special

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I think the biggest thing here is establishing what your goal is. Ultimately, if everything fell your way, what would success look like for your site? Sounds like a daunting thing to think about, but if you can establish what the goal/outcome is, even if it changes along the way, it will help you figure out if you need to be at games or not. 

Are you hoping to be someone that provides game analysis and insight/recaps, is on the pulse of breaking news in the IU basketball world, etc., etc., or is the goal to be more of a site that covers IU from a fan's perspective, etc.

If you're looking to be an all-encompassing IU news site that provides game analysis, breaking news, game reports, recruiting updates, etc., then I think you probably would benefit from being there as much as possible. Watching on TV is great, even the press conferences, but the real professional experts get what they need from the little side conversations with players, coaches, and admin that happen in between the real media availability. The relationships they build, etc. You also see/hear things about the game, players, etc. being up close and in person. 

If you're more looking to cover IU from a fans perspective, with fun lists and that type of content, then you probably don't need to be at games. In this case, I'm thinking of the IU version of Bill Simmons. Not sure if everyone knows, but he first began as the "Boston Sports Guy" where he had a website that covered Boston sports from the fan's point of view. He attended some games as a fan (he had C's season tickets) but he purposefully didn't do media credentials because he wasn't trying to be a reporter, he was appealing to the fan, and his content was basically taking the talks and opinions everyone has with their friends and putting them to print (online). 

Finally, feel free to PM me. I'm not positioning myself as an expert here, and it's been 10+ years since I left it, but I handled media relations for an NBA team for 5 years. Part of my job was to issue media credentials, arrange/handle player/coach interviews and press conferences, and monitor and open/close the locker room during media availability. Again, it might not be relevant, but happy to answer any questions.  

 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

58 minutes ago, BGleas said:

I think the biggest thing here is establishing what your goal is. Ultimately, if everything fell your way, what would success look like for your site? Sounds like a daunting thing to think about, but if you can establish what the goal/outcome is, even if it changes along the way, it will help you figure out if you need to be at games or not. 

Are you hoping to be someone that provides game analysis and insight/recaps, is on the pulse of breaking news in the IU basketball world, etc., etc., or is the goal to be more of a site that covers IU from a fan's perspective, etc.

If you're looking to be an all-encompassing IU news site that provides game analysis, breaking news, game reports, recruiting updates, etc., then I think you probably would benefit from being there as much as possible. Watching on TV is great, even the press conferences, but the real professional experts get what they need from the little side conversations with players, coaches, and admin that happen in between the real media availability. The relationships they build, etc. You also see/hear things about the game, players, etc. being up close and in person. 

If you're more looking to cover IU from a fans perspective, with fun lists and that type of content, then you probably don't need to be at games. In this case, I'm thinking of the IU version of Bill Simmons. Not sure if everyone knows, but he first began as the "Boston Sports Guy" where he had a website that covered Boston sports from the fan's point of view. He attended some games as a fan (he had C's season tickets) but he purposefully didn't do media credentials because he wasn't trying to be a reporter, he was appealing to the fan, and his content was basically taking the talks and opinions everyone has with their friends and putting them to print (online). 

Finally, feel free to PM me. I'm not positioning myself as an expert here, and it's been 10+ years since I left it, but I handled media relations for an NBA team for 5 years. Part of my job was to issue media credentials, arrange/handle player/coach interviews and press conferences, and monitor and open/close the locker room during media availability. Again, it might not be relevant, but happy to answer any questions.  

 

Wow, this is an incredibly thoughtful post.  I'm not going to be able to do it justice with the limited time that I have remaining today, but thank you.  I will probably PM you later.  

I did just want to throw out one of the sites that inspired me.  Eleven Warriors is an Ohio State site that is entirely free and it is the dominant leader in covering all OSU sports.  Other big schools have similar comprehensive and free sites that lead the way.  So big picture, long term, a model like that is the goal, but it is much more than one person can take on.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, The Daily Hoosier said:

Wow, this is an incredibly thoughtful post.  I'm not going to be able to do it justice with the limited time that I have remaining today, but thank you.  I will probably PM you later.  

I did just want to throw out one of the sites that inspired me.  Eleven Warriors is an Ohio State site that is entirely free and it is the dominant leader in covering all OSU sports.  Other big schools have similar comprehensive and free sites that lead the way.  So big picture, long term, a model like that is the goal, but it is much more than one person can take on.

You two, really need to talk.  BGleas is too modest right now to mention he worked for the fabled Boston Celtics.  And rubbed elbows with some of the NBA greats. No doubt in my mind he has a lot to offer, and could be a tremendous mentor and help to you in growing your terrific site. 

And again... you and I are of a like mind.  Free sites are the way of the future.  NO MORE PAYWALLS !  NO MORE PAYWALLS !

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

22 hours ago, The Daily Hoosier said:

Wow, this is an incredibly thoughtful post.  I'm not going to be able to do it justice with the limited time that I have remaining today, but thank you.  I will probably PM you later.  

I did just want to throw out one of the sites that inspired me.  Eleven Warriors is an Ohio State site that is entirely free and it is the dominant leader in covering all OSU sports.  Other big schools have similar comprehensive and free sites that lead the way.  So big picture, long term, a model like that is the goal, but it is much more than one person can take on.

Absolutely, you're welcome! I love talking about this stuff and strategizing. Happy to help or answer any questions via PM, if I can be of any assistance. Given your second paragraph, it would lead me to believe that being at games and press conferences is pretty important when it's feasible for you. 

20 hours ago, milehiiu said:

You two, really need to talk.  BGleas is too modest right now to mention he worked for the fabled Boston Celtics.  And rubbed elbows with some of the NBA greats. No doubt in my mind he has a lot to offer, and could be a tremendous mentor and help to you in growing your terrific site. 

And again... you and I are of a like mind.  Free sites are the way of the future.  NO MORE PAYWALLS !  NO MORE PAYWALLS !

Thanks for the kind words, Mile! I really appreciate you! One of the best parts of this site, beyond the IU discussion and banter, is building relationships where you may be able to help people in the 'real' world. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 weeks later...

I can tell you are a thoughtful writer. Very informed. Given the limited access to players which is always what people want I would love you to continue your former player interviews as you come across them at the games. How they are...what they are doing...old memories of glory days...and what they think of the new team and coach. I would like interviews with assistant coaches and what they think of keys for up coming games and the recruiting trail. Archie’s vision of what he is looking for in the players coming in. Defense first...how does he balance the analytics of being able to shoot the 3 and how it is changing the game and how we recruit guys who can shoot it and defend it. Is he flexible in changing up his play style with who he has on the roster or does he simply just recruit guys that fit what he wants. Finally behind the scenes pictures of the facilities, locker room renovations etc...love all that. Good luck and enjoy your work!

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

LOVE the idea of looking up former Hoosier players for interviews.  Bryan Evans had a good interview after his HOF induction.  Coverdale...you KNOW that would be fun.  There's a very funny speech Isiah Thomas have years ago about the words Bob Knight taught him, etc.  I'm sure former players could be very interesting and entertaining at the same time.  I think you get a lot better stuff after an insider has been away from the program for awhile and is more willing to talk.  Ron Felling?

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, FKIM01 said:

LOVE the idea of looking up former Hoosier players for interviews.  Bryan Evans had a good interview after his HOF induction.  Coverdale...you KNOW that would be fun.  There's a very funny speech Isiah Thomas have years ago about the words Bob Knight taught him, etc.  I'm sure former players could be very interesting and entertaining at the same time.  I think you get a lot better stuff after an insider has been away from the program for awhile and is more willing to talk.  Ron Felling?

I mean i love the old locker room stories and game stories etc. stuff coach said or did...love our history and where we are headed!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, dgambill said:

I mean i love the old locker room stories and game stories etc. stuff coach said or did...love our history and where we are headed!

Right.  I think it would be just as interesting to hear what the "old-timers" think of the current program.  Between that and the old stories, I think you could have some great interviews.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...