Memorable Road Trips

rico

I alluded to this story in TDH's thread so here it goes......

Mid November back in '88.  Me and three buddies had tickets to a Notre Dame football game in South Bend(Sat.).  Friday afternoon I score 4 tickets to an IU basketball game for Friday night(pre-season NIT).  Got on the phone with my buds and we all agreed..."Road Trip".  So we get off work and make our way to Bloomington to watch the Hoosiers.  We curb stomped Illinois St.  So we are coming back home and somebody comes up with the bright idea to stop at the "Hip Hugger" in Kokomo.  We shut the place down and slept in the car in the parking lot.  7 am we were on our way to South Bend.  Got there in time to tail gate for an hour or so.  Watched ND beat down the Lions.  Then tailgated afterwards.  We made our way back to my place.  And drank some more.  Sunday was recovery day.  So Hoosiers, strip club, and Notre Dame in  24 hours.  What a week-end!!!!!!

My most memorable road trip that is IU related goes back to 2007 when IU actually made a bowl game in Phoenix. I was and am currently living in San Diego, so the idea of driving to Phoenix isn't crazy, but doing it at 1am is. I headed up to LA around 7pm the night before to pick up a buddy and some friends, got there around 11 or so, and by 1am we were on the road. No reason to sleep at his place we thought, especially since Phoenix is only about a 6 hour drive away, and the bowl game is the next day. So it was me, a buddy, and 2 girls driving straight through the night in my Jeep Wrangler. We get to the hotel around 7am, and another good friend of ours had gotten a room 2 doors down, in the same motel. Partied through the game, went out on New Years, and came back the next day.

My most memorable road trip occurred when I was 5 years old.  So memorable (to me at least) that my family has tired of me telling it.  In fact , a week a ago, I got a chance to tell it with an IU fan/grad that visited for dinner, while my family endured through, yet, another telling of the story.

It has nothing to do with IU.  Can I still tell it ? 

4 minutes ago, milehiiu said:

My most memorable road trip occurred when I was 5 years old.  So memorable (to me at least) that my family has tired of me telling it.  In fact , a week a ago, I got a chance to tell it with an IU fan/grad that visited for dinner, while my family endured through, yet, another telling of the story.

It has nothing to do with IU.  Can I still tell it ? 

Well, this is the Animal House!!!!!

4 minutes ago, rico said:

Well, this is the Animal House!!!!!

And I was the one who suggested to the mods at the time to name it the Animal House, as well as the words below it.

So.... with that.   It's kind of a long story.... so I will be getting back.

In the meantime.  Great suggestion for a thread. And I just thought of another story about being on the road, after graduating from IU.  I'll be back with each story later. 

Mine is last year which is the first time my family tradition started..... I will tell how going to my first game led to me deciding on a new tradition....I had never been to an IU game for 30 years in my lifetime...  my first time I got to sit courtside because my mentor was a coach for UNF and the experience was amazing.... The very next year my dad has never been to a game and he was the one who gave me my love for IU so for my birthday my wife got the three of us tickets and we went.... in 2016 my son was born and in 2017 I told my wife that my son wasn’t waiting like I did. So the new tradition is every year in February around my birthday we will take a road trip from St. Louis area to Bloomington make a weekend out of it and visit my grandpa who lives in brown county. Last year was the most memorable because it’s a story I can tell my son of how our tradition started when he’s old enough to remember 

6 hours ago, milehiiu said:

And I was the one who suggested to the mods at the time to name it the Animal House, as well as the words below it.

So.... with that.   It's kind of a long story.... so I will be getting back.

In the meantime.  Great suggestion for a thread. And I just thought of another story about being on the road, after graduating from IU.  I'll be back with each story later. 

Since this is a topic about road trips I think this is the right place for this.  Probably my most memorable road trip ever is driving an amish family, who my grandma was very close to, To Mancos Colorado to build a house for a couple from Scottsburg,IN.  Of course I was the only one who could drive so planned our trip, so we got to see the grand canyon, the petrified forest in Arizona, four corners, Meteor crater, and the neatest place I have been too, Silverton, Colorado. 

Archived