Did the NBA cost FCTC his job?

rico

Just now, rico said:

Interesting takes.  But what if Cody would have stayed, what if Vic would have stayed, and what if Vonleh would have stayed?

His lack of recruiting, along with lack of coaching acumen, cost him his job. He should have been able to replace his early entrants with new players, or coach up what he had left. 

5 minutes ago, CauseThatsMyDJ said:

His lack of recruiting, along with lack of coaching acumen, cost him his job. He should have been able to replace his early entrants with new players, or coach up what he had left. 

Lol, that screenshot you posted in the other thread says everything you need to know about why Crean was fired.

8 minutes ago, addictedtoIU said:

I thought about that many times. It would've meant the sixth banner, but we'd still have Crean. Like people say, every good thing comes with a price. 

No it wouldn’t have.  We would’ve got crushed by Kentucky and their superstar junior Anthony Davis.

4 hours ago, rico said:

My cousin came over yesterday.  And he posed this very question to me.  Did the NBA cost Crean his job due to early entries.  Got me to thinking.  Did it?  What does everybody think?

His inability to construct a well balanced roster is what cost him his job. If he had quality depth like we do with CAM, you can absorb early entrants with little drop off. Crean chased the 5 stars. He landed some, but when he didn't, his plan B was a severe drop as opposed to small steps down.

CAM had a superb class last year, then Romeo was icing on the cake. This year we are chasing KBJ and TJD, but had Watford, Hurt, other 5*'s and 4*'s as back up plans. 

CAM seems to have a plan, where as Crean seemed very sporadic chasing and offering anyone with a pulse.

2 minutes ago, hoosier8760 said:

He couldn't coach his way out of a wet paper bag. Early NBA entries had nothing to do with it. Hell, the year our "best player" got hurt we ended up winning the Big Ten. Anything Crean won was in spite of himself.

And Yogi is offended...

6 hours ago, rico said:

My cousin came over yesterday.  And he posed this very question to me.  Did the NBA cost Crean his job due to early entries.  Got me to thinking.  Did it?  What does everybody think?

Didn't cost him his job. Roster management is on him. I will say this though to the board...Bo Ryan and his Sconny teams did always seem to have guys who stuck around all 4 years. I think Dekker was the only that left early and that's because Sam and Bo couldn't stand each other. 

3 hours ago, addictedtoIU said:

Not quite sure if he really was a bad coach. I think for a school like UGA, Crean can do some pretty good things. But I don't think he's a kind of coach a blueblood school would want to hire.

He was and is a bad coach. While they won, his Georgia team just committed 26 turnovers to a D2 school in Western GA!!! -- that's incredible.  Also, I kid you not, apparently Western GA was running a zone and UGA didn't know how to beat the zone  Glad to see Crean's style of play is fully implemented at UGA.

Tom Crean is the last guy that I would want trying to teach kids something “on the fly.” One of the major criticisms by many on these boards was his inability or unwillingness to adapt to the strengths of his team as well as his incapability to make in-game adjustments.

The 26 turnovers against this type of competition shows me that it will be more of the same at Georgia, and the article he wrote for Sports Illustrated about him taking a road trip to visit and learn from other coaches was nothing more than a joke 

5 minutes ago, Steubenhoosier said:

Tom Crean is the last guy that I would want trying to teach kids something “on the fly.” One of the major criticisms by many on these boards was his inability or unwillingness to adapt to the strengths of his team as well as his incapability to make in-game adjustments.

The 26 turnovers against this type of competition shows me that it will be more of the same at Georgia, and the article he wrote for Sports Illustrated about him taking a road trip to visit and learn from other coaches was nothing more than a joke 

For the sake of conversation...you don't luck into winning at Michigan, at Ohio St, and at Michigan St, and at Purdue in the same stretch. People can rip Crean for plenty of reasons....but the guy knows the game. He ran into an awful Syracuse matchup or he might still be here. I mean Izzo hasn't been to a Sweet 16 in 3 years. Did he forget how to coach? Of course not.

33 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

For the sake of conversation...you don't luck into winning at Michigan, at Ohio St, and at Michigan St, and at Purdue in the same stretch. People can rip Crean for plenty of reasons....but the guy knows the game. He ran into an awful Syracuse matchup or he might still be here. I mean Izzo hasn't been to a Sweet 16 in 3 years. Did he forget how to coach? Of course not.

Oh, I give Crean credit for having some good teams and winning some big games. But, when an opponent could get him out of his comfort zone, when they slowed things down and played a half court game, he had no ability to overcome that.

When Crean had Uber talent, his teams were good. He never showed, at IU at least, that he could take a lesser talked team and coach them up to perform better than their abilities 

Archived