Injuries

2 minutes ago, FW_Hoosier said:

I think I disagree with you here.  In both the short and long-term, it doesn’t make much sense to me to center the offense around Phinisee instead of Romeo just because Phinisee will be here for 4 years and Romeo is a one-and-done.  

In the short-term, I love what Phinisee has brought, but he needs to be our third option on offense at best.  Romeo’s averaged 18 ppg basically sitting in the corner and making plays for himself when the ball happens to come his way.  The last two games especially, it’s seemed like he’s had a great first half, and then the team has essentially forgotten about him in the second half.  With his size and passing ability, he could be so much more effective with the ball in his hands... Running the PnR with him and Juwan at the top of the key would be absolutely deadly. 

And in the long-term, whoever this Frankie Valley guy is mentioned this as well... Elite 5 star recruits aren’t going to want to play in an offense where they aren’t given the ability to showcase their skills.  How many recruits that we’re after have said that one of the main things they’re looking at is how Archie uses Romeo this season?  And before IU Scott responds talking about “the team is more important than the individual,” note that I think the team would be better off with the ball in Romeo’s hands more as well.

I don't disagree with you at all, and I didn't mean to say the offense should be centered around Phinisee, just that he is a heck of a distributor and this will be "his team" for the next few years. Also, Langford is one of the best finishers in the country. But like I said, after the first game I thought we'd see Langford much more in a play-makers situation, with the ball at the top of the key, like you said. I'm pretty surprised it hasn't happened. 

After the first game, especially with Green struggling so much that game and Durham not really being a point guard, I'd really like to see Langford as the backup point guard. What I mean by that is when you bring Green in (when he's healthy) you do it at the 2 and you have Langford play the 1 when Phinisee isn't on the court. Maybe not against a team like Arkansas, but against teams that play half-court defense I think it makes sense because while he's not the best ball-handler, Langford is a good play-maker. 

• Replies 466
  • Created
  • Last Reply
17 hours ago, Hoosier Guy said:

Romeo should have the ball in his hands to end every game. He’s IU’s best player. It’s not close. If a game is going down to the wire, Romeo should have the ball in his hands. Win or lose with your best player

I disagree because the ball needs to be in Morgan's hand at the end of the game for him t make the smart decision.  He showed what he could do the possession before when he hit the open man for the tying 3.

8 hours ago, mrflynn03 said:

Is there anything new on Hunters condition? 

Scanning the web, I see the following comments:

Rabjohns says Hunter is expected to be fine long-term.

hereditary according to insiders

it was a problem with his leg that was non basketball related.

“It’s not a typical leg injury that is an injury caused by practicing or something,” Miller said last week. “It’s more of an underlying effect that’s causing him some pain. When we get all the answers, he’ll be evaluated and decided on.”

Well that would be a welcome change from all the news we keep getting.  I know you can't confirm, coach, but Jerome's issue sure does appear the be blood clot(s) in his leg.  Everything I see points that way...leg pain, heredity, condition vs. injury, long term post-surgical outlook...

Jerome can take blood thinners to keep the issue in check going forward and I'm guessing someone in his family is already on blood thinners from the sound of things.  The only real concern I have if it's blood clots is that if he gets cut on the court, it's gong to be a bloody mess if he's on thinners,  Like Romeo the other night, if Jerome gets cut while taking blood thinners, he probably won't come back into the game.

All speculation, of course, but it very much fits the puzzle pieces together according to my limited medical knowledge.

On 11/21/2018 at 2:51 PM, FW_Hoosier said:

I think I disagree with you here.  In both the short and long-term, it doesn’t make much sense to me to center the offense around Phinisee instead of Romeo just because Phinisee will be here for 4 years and Romeo is a one-and-done.  

In the short-term, I love what Phinisee has brought, but he needs to be our third option on offense at best.  Romeo’s averaged 18 ppg basically sitting in the corner and making plays for himself when the ball happens to come his way.  The last two games especially, it’s seemed like he’s had a great first half, and then the team has essentially forgotten about him in the second half.  With his size and passing ability, he could be so much more effective with the ball in his hands... Running the PnR with him and Juwan at the top of the key would be absolutely deadly. 

And in the long-term, whoever this Frankie Valley guy is mentioned this as well... Elite 5 star recruits aren’t going to want to play in an offense where they aren’t given the ability to showcase their skills.  How many recruits that we’re after have said that one of the main things they’re looking at is how Archie uses Romeo this season?  And before IU Scott responds talking about “the team is more important than the individual,” note that I think the team would be better off with the ball in Romeo’s hands more as well.

My god

2 hours ago, milehiiu said:

I Just Dropped In Too See What Conditon, Jerome's "Condition" Was In

And it appears that he is improving from his condition.

All your prayers seem to be working. 

Damn you!! I thought that was a link to an interview etc about his recovery lol....you got me!!

Side not glad to hear that his diagnosis is good and excited to see him back on the court. Too bad it won't be for Duke but should ramp up his playing time for the conference. We need him especially with Romeo having to play the 3 and leaving only Al and Robert at the guard spots.

On ‎11‎/‎22‎/‎2018 at 9:12 AM, IU Scott said:

I disagree because the ball needs to be in Morgan's hand at the end of the game for him t make the smart decision.  He showed what he could do the possession before when he hit the open man for the tying 3.

I agree the best case scenario is to have Morgan in a favorable matchup....but I don't see anything wrong with playing through Romeo....or letting him handle the ball in that scenario with the option to take his man or get it to Juwan. Even a two man game pick n roll between the two makes sense. I love Robert and fully believe he is capable of finishing that play the other night but I really would rather win or lose in the either of our two superstars hands...with Al, Fitz, and Robert spotting up for a kick out if necessary.

8 hours ago, FKIM01 said:

Well that would be a welcome change from all the news we keep getting.  I know you can't confirm, coach, but Jerome's issue sure does appear the be blood clot(s) in his leg.  Everything I see points that way...leg pain, heredity, condition vs. injury, long term post-surgical outlook...

Jerome can take blood thinners to keep the issue in check going forward and I'm guessing someone in his family is already on blood thinners from the sound of things.  The only real concern I have if it's blood clots is that if he gets cut on the court, it's gong to be a bloody mess if he's on thinners,  Like Romeo the other night, if Jerome gets cut while taking blood thinners, he probably won't come back into the game.

All speculation, of course, but it very much fits the puzzle pieces together according to my limited medical knowledge.

What worries me is that it could be a heart condition.  But I ain't a Dr. either.

27 minutes ago, rico said:

What worries me is that it could be a heart condition.  But I ain't a Dr. either.

Well it can definitely become a heart condition very quickly.  My cousin fell over dead unexpectedly at age 54.  His legs had been hurting a lot the night before and while he was not autopsied to my knowledge, the common medical opinion was that he had a blood clot in his legs break loose and go to his heart killing him pretty much instantly.  He was a truck driver and it's not uncommon for someone in his line of work to develop blood clots due to long hours of immobility on the road.  If it is a blood clot, it likely manifested as a blood clot and Jerome was lucky that it was diagnosed before it broke loose and killed him.

Again...all speculation on my part but it sure fits.

15 minutes ago, FKIM01 said:

Well it can definitely become a heart condition very quickly.  My cousin fell over dead unexpectedly at age 54.  His legs had been hurting a lot the night before and while he was not autopsied to my knowledge, the common medical opinion was that he had a blood clot in his legs break loose and go to his heart killing him pretty much instantly.  He was a truck driver and it's not uncommon for someone in his line of work to develop blood clots due to long hours of immobility on the road.  If it is a blood clot, it likely manifested as a blood clot and Jerome was lucky that it was diagnosed before it broke loose and killed him.

Again...all speculation on my part but it sure fits.

I think we are all speculating here.  But I am gonna take a different take.  If your heart ain't working right, it affects your extremities.  Lack of blood flow.

9 minutes ago, rico said:

I think we are all speculating here.  But I am gonna take a different take.  If your heart ain't working right, it affects your extremities.  Lack of blood flow.

I'm looking at the report of severe leg pain.  That sounds just like my cousin.  Also, I seriously doubt they did heart surgery and expected him back at school the next week.  Not saying you're wrong, but IMO, based on the rumors out there, I think it's much less likely a heart issue.

3 minutes ago, FKIM01 said:

I'm looking at the report of severe leg pain.  That sounds just like my cousin.  Also, I seriously doubt they did heart surgery and expect him back at school next week.  Not saying you're wrong, but IMO, based on the rumors out there, I think it's much less likely a heart issue.

Understood....the heredity thing is what I am looking at.  I just wish the kid well.

Archived