Injuries

• Replies 466
  • Created
  • Last Reply
8 minutes ago, Hoosier987 said:

I agree. I mean we're assuming he's injured cause that is what was said - but maybe there's more to it....

I am starting to think it is more serious than what they are saying.  I wonder if they are not liking what they are seeing from a CT scan?

58 minutes ago, HoosierMatty said:

What about Race Thompson? How can a concussion be this bad? Anyone heard when he will be back ?

It's not entirely uncommon for concussion symptoms to keep a player out for an entire year. Justin Morneau and Sidney Crosby are two prominent examples.

No need to speculate about cloak and dagger.

https://www.nhl.com/news/a-timeline-of-sidney-crosbys-concussion-and-recovery/c-587898

14 hours ago, CauseThatsMyDJ said:

Can’t confirm, but I was told that on the pregame show, Fisch said that Hunter “probably won’t play this year.”

Dang...that's sad news for Jerome. I hope he keeps his spirits up. I would hate to lose him to a transfer in Ohio or something to be closer to family while he battles this. Seems like a good kid and a talented player.

2 hours ago, ElectricBoogaloo said:

It's not entirely uncommon for concussion symptoms to keep a player out for an entire year. Justin Morneau and Sidney Crosby are two prominent examples.

https://www.nhl.com/news/a-timeline-of-sidney-crosbys-concussion-and-recovery/c-587898

Yes...the severity can change the recovery time immensely. My cousin had a severe concussion where he hit his head on the floor....it took months to recover. Lost his appetite and had to sit in dark room...it makes me wonder how the NFL can get players back to playing so quickly....worrisome.

7 hours ago, ElectricBoogaloo said:

I have no "intel" as to Race's situation.  However, I will say this. IU could very well be acting very cautiously, in terms of what has gone on at other universities, as well as what went on with Kevin Wilson.  Could be a situation of acting on the side of caution, rather than forcing an issue and winding up with a law suit, like what some other schools have recently gone through.

Then again, why not discount the simple humanitarian factor ?  Just wanting to make completely sure the kid is totally 100 % 

My daughter has a teammate who has not played a game this year due to a concussion that occurred right before season started. She has missed about 9-10 games and I haven't even seen her at games (loud space), nor has she been at practices. Concussions can effect people differently. If you don't give it time to clear, the time to recovery just expands. My daughter had a season-ending concussion last year and her symptoms/issues continued way longer than we ever expected....probably didn't clear for about 4-5 weeks.

There is no doubt in my mind that football players push coming back to the field way too fast.

Just now, KDB said:

Fisch on Dakich's radio show said that Race Thompson is not even practicing due to concussion, and that his sister had the same issues with a concussion.

Also said that Jerome Hunter had 2 surgeries and is doubtful to return this year.

Sucks on both, but better to treat the concussion seriously, and Hunter will have a chance next season (probably with a medical redshirt) to be a big time contributor, good for him and the team

1 minute ago, KDB said:

Fisch on Dakich's radio show said that Race Thompson is not even practicing due to concussion, and that his sister had the same issues with a concussion.

Also said that Jerome Hunter had 2 surgeries and is doubtful to return this year.

I would change that to doubtful this season.  I would put good money on Jerome Hunter being a redshirt unless he wants to play very late in the season and doesn't care about burning a year of eligibility, like Tyler Zeller did at UNC his freshman year.

6 hours ago, KDB said:

Coach Miller just said that Race was at first practice today. Light cardio. Still in concussion protocol. Nothing new on Hunter. Post surgery rehab. At this point unless we think he could make a huge difference the kid should redshirt. 

1 hour ago, 5 championships said:

Really sad news about Jerome. I hope he doesn’t end up being another M Creek who had unbelievable talent before getting hurt 

Don't see that, but you never know.  Blood clots, once resolved, should not affect mobility and athleticism.  The issue is resolving them.  Jerome is damned lucky the problem was diagnosed when it was.  He could have easily collapsed without warning and died almost instantly if a clot broke loose and went to his heart.

Barring something unexpected, I'd bet on Jerome joining next year's freshman class as a redshirt ready to contribute immediately.

15 hours ago, FKIM01 said:

Don't see that, but you never know.  Blood clots, once resolved, should not affect mobility and athleticism.  The issue is resolving them.  Jerome is damned lucky the problem was diagnosed when it was.  He could have easily collapsed without warning and died almost instantly if a clot broke loose and went to his heart.

Barring something unexpected, I'd bet on Jerome joining next year's freshman class as a redshirt ready to contribute immediately.

This is pure speculation regarding Jerome's issue being DVT, correct? Not saying you are wrong, just checking to see if I missed an announcement. DVT is a reasonable guess given the limited details I've heard released publicly, but certainly not the only possibility.

32 minutes ago, Shooter said:

This is pure speculation regarding Jerome's issue being DVT, correct? Not saying you are wrong, just checking to see if I missed an announcement. DVT is a reasonable guess given the limited details I've heard released publicly, but certainly not the only possibility.

A mixture of speculation and putting all the pieces together.  Blood clots have specifically been mentioned by more than one person who would be in a pretty good position to know. I'd put about 98% confidence in multiple clots being the diagnosis, but no, there has not been any official announcement.

52 minutes ago, FKIM01 said:

A mixture of speculation and putting all the pieces together.  Blood clots have specifically been mentioned by more than one person who would be in a pretty good position to know. I'd put about 98% confidence in multiple clots being the diagnosis, but no, there has not been any official announcement.

I do not agree that the publicly available information points specifically to DVT with any level of certainty. Is it possible, sure. If someone with inside information is saying that's what he has, then fair enough.

13 minutes ago, Shooter said:

I do not agree that the publicly available information points specifically to DVT with any level of certainty. Is it possible, sure. If someone with inside information is saying that's what he has, then fair enough.

Supposedly the Cleveland clinic where he was treated has a special unit for that condition so it makes sense.

1 hour ago, Shooter said:

His symptoms absolutely mirrored the DVT that killed my cousin, especially the severe leg pain, but yes, I've seen the words "blood clots" in public fan forums posted by names I trust.  I'm not going to call anyone out but if you surf diligently, it's out there.

10 hours ago, milehiiu said:

Jerome Hunter is now lifting weights.  Hoosier Sports Nation.... please don't read anything into that.... other than he is on his way to a long road of recovery. 

Glad to hear! Hopefully he dodged the health scares and can focus on being instant impact next year with TJD and others. 

Archived