Injuries

2 minutes ago, CauseThatsMyDJ said:

I’m sure the family gave their input, but the decision was ultimately the teams. 

No...that's the part we don't know. We don't know if these kids signed their HIPPA rights over to the team/university. I wouldn't be surprised at all if some of these young men opted to keep the ultimate decision about disclosures pertaining to their health in their own hands. 

• Replies 466
  • Created
  • Last Reply
9 minutes ago, zerawkid said:

No...that's the part we don't know. We don't know if these kids signed their HIPPA rights over to the team/university. I wouldn't be surprised at all if some of these young men opted to keep the ultimate decision about disclosures pertaining to their health in their own hands. 

Right...that’s the question I asked several hours ago. Logic points to them signing that right away though, or else football injuries wouldn’t ever be disclosed. 

To me these two “injuries” are totally different. One is basketball related injury and the other a medical condition. Perhaps even something that may be considered a pre-existing condition and could affect coverage and his basketball future. As serious as Race’s injury I don’t think it compares to Jerome’s given the limited info we know. Not sure about the Hippa stuff but I’m sure they have to sign off on the details. That is why we’ve only been told it’s a leg injury with limited details. I’m sure Jerome’s family is only willing to sign off on a basic disclosure until they know everything is fixed and he won’t need anymore surgeries. Like if it was a heart condition or something. Releasing that is much more envassive to a players privacy compared to a sprained ankle. Would be interesting to know how all that works with hippa and injury reports. Given it’s not professional and likely part of contract and league rules for injury reports for teams and Vegas I imagine colleges have to be much more strict.

43 minutes ago, CauseThatsMyDJ said:

Right...that’s the question I asked several hours ago. Logic points to them signing that right away though, or else football injuries wouldn’t ever be disclosed. 

Football and basketball, institutionally speaking, are very different. Also, despite any sort of typical arrangement, out of respect for the wishes of the family, an exception could have been made by the basketball program. There are just too many variables that are unknown to any of us, I don’t think it’s fair to assume any one set of circumstances governs all scenarios.

2 minutes ago, RoadToZion said:

I mean......yeah it does. Based on the injury we can kind of estimate how long he will be out. 

It would be nice to know if they will be back this year....or next year...or if its career threatening. It's very important IMO. 

I guess but it really does not matter to me.  They will be on the court when they get there and us knowing the exact injury will not get them there any earlier.

On the subject of injuries, hippa rules,etc....my guess is each player and/or his family makes the decision to sign over what's called a durably power of attorney or a health care proxy so that information can be shared and university has the ability to treat right away.

Give you an example. Family friends kid was in Florida a few years ago for Spring Break and got into an accident. Kid was 19 and when parents called to discuss with treating Dr in Florida about his condition/treatment....they couldn't talk about it. Parents thought because their kid was on their insurance still they have access. Quick answer. You as parents don't until these forms are completed.

As it relates to IU. I have no clue how these things are handled with scholarships,etc....but ultimately someone has to grant permission to discuss and/or treat. 

8 hours ago, CauseThatsMyDJ said:

Key is at the bottom. Player can revoke the waiver of his HIPPA at anytime. So most probably sign the waiver etc...info get's released...then if something sensitive to the players health or person happens they can revoke the waiver and the University can't release it if they haven't already. Seems reasonable in Jerome's case that he sign the waiver before the season...but when this came along he wanted it to be private so he and his family sent documentation to revoke the waiver and the University then could not disclose anything other than what it had already released.....a non-basketball related injury. Makes perfect sense. Thanks DJ!

Yep. Pretty much what I guessed a couple posts back. I think it’s pretty clear we know more about one injury over the other and it has to do with severity and one family making the decision they weren’t prepared to share the medical information with the public, therefore pulling the waiver out of play for university. Or, Archie and his staff are aware of and respecting the privacy wishes.

On another note, does anyone know anything about Romeo’s hand/wrist? The couple times I’ve seen a close-up of that wrap it looks pretty sturdy. I can’t help but wonder if that has something to do with his jump shot this season. I know he wasn’t the best shooter in HS but I know he wasn’t this bad either.

1 hour ago, Bigred3588 said:

On another note, does anyone know anything about Romeo’s hand/wrist? The couple times I’ve seen a close-up of that wrap it looks pretty sturdy. I can’t help but wonder if that has something to do with his jump shot this season. I know he wasn’t the best shooter in HS but I know he wasn’t this bad either.

Shades of Eric Gordon's season at IU.

What is wrong with De'Ron Davis?

Okay thank you!  I’m really bummed about our guys getting hurt. I was hoping for big things from both Race and Jerome. I hope Rob is okay too, he looked like he stumbled on one of the other plays when he stayed in. I hope that had nothing to do with it and we have him back For the big games.

2 minutes ago, Bowhunter said:

Okay thank you!  I’m really bummed about our guys getting hurt. I was hoping for big things from both Race and Jerome. I hope Rob is okay too, he looked like he stumbled on one of the other plays when he stayed in. I hope that had nothing to do with it and we have him back For the big games.

Yes hoping it is minor and only misses the next game. All B1G games are fist fights in this league....road games are always blood baths.

Hearing that Rob P. is still under concussion protocol.  And though not back to 100%, is beginning to feel better, daily. Expect him to be held out of the Jacksonville game.  And then with a long break before conference play resumes in January.... expect him to return.... fully recovered.

1 hour ago, milehiiu said:

Hearing that Rob P. is still under concussion protocol.  And though not back to 100%, is beginning to feel better, daily. Expect him to be held out of the Jacksonville game.  And then with a long break before conference play resumes in January.... expect him to return.... fully recovered.

I hesitate in even posting this but apparently his Aunt posted on facebook that he's fine ready to go. No clue on the validity which is why I'm hesitant in bringing this up. The long break after Jacksonville couldn't come at a better time. 

2 hours ago, milehiiu said:

Woo hoo!!! Best news I've heard today! Well that and that I have a rich Nigerian relative that informed me through email I have 199.000.000 for me to claim!

Archived