Injuries

4 minutes ago, thirdgenhoosier said:

Was just shown a Tweet (so can’t link) that Rob is out for the foreseeable future and has not practiced yet.  The Tweet was from Mike Miller at the Herald Times I think.  Darn it.

Sorry...just saw the same info on the Illinois game thread.

I understand all the concerns with concussions but between Race and now RP I am wondering if it is warranted? I know long term safety is first and foremost but is it overkill? If not what in the heck is happening to cause our players to miss so much time with concussions. I have dealt with concussions as a player a coach and a parent and 2 weeks out is the longest that I have been associated with and most were back in a few days. I want the kids to be safe and have no long term effects but at the end of the day basketball is a contact sport played on a very hard surface with no padding, are we too cautious?  I dont know that answer just throwing it out to see what others think.

• Replies 466
  • Created
  • Last Reply
32 minutes ago, Billingsley99 said:

I understand all the concerns with concussions but between Race and now RP I am wondering if it is warranted? I know long term safety is first and foremost but is it overkill? If not what in the heck is happening to cause our players to miss so much time with concussions. I have dealt with concussions as a player a coach and a parent and 2 weeks out is the longest that I have been associated with and most were back in a few days. I want the kids to be safe and have no long term effects but at the end of the day basketball is a contact sport played on a very hard surface with no padding, are we too cautious?  I dont know that answer just throwing it out to see what others think.

I played all 3 sports I’m high school and dealt with concussions and have been with players who had concussions and 2 weeks is longest I’ve ever seen anybody out. 

I’m guessing Race injury was pretty bad but Rob looked like he barely got touched. I was very surprised he was in concussion protocol to begin with. Don’t really understand it. Seems like way overkill to me but I’m no doctor. 

I feel like if the same people that are diagnosing concussion in basketball did that with the football team we would have to forfeit games from so many players being in protocol lol 

i remember OG twisted his angle his sophomore year and it didn’t look like much and he missed like 5 weeks. I saw it happen live actually and saw reply multiple times.  Seems like we are always over kill on injury’s. I played college basketball and had a teammate have surgery on his spleen and come back and play 2 weeks later lol true story. guess everyone is just really careful nowadays so they don’t get sued. 

50 minutes ago, thirdgenhoosier said:

Was just shown a Tweet (so can’t link) that Rob is out for the foreseeable future and has not practiced yet.  The Tweet was from Mike Miller at the Herald Times I think.  Darn it.

Sorry...just saw the same info on the Illinois game thread.

Mike Miller on Twitter: "Miller says Zach McRoberts is on track to return vs. Illinois. Rob Phinisee has progressed from concussion, but has yet to practice since suffering concussion."

6 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

When I was a kid me and my brother was playing basketball in our house and I hit my head against the corner of our TV.  It busted my head opened and was bleeding all over and by the next day I was out there playing again LOL!

IDK....  Kids were tougher back then??

Sucks for RP, I thought for sure he would be back by now, Oh well.......

1 hour ago, Billingsley99 said:

I’m betting it’s a CYA move directly related to this...

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.indystar.com/amp/94862298

Annoying.

Long time follower and lurker, I used to post on prior boards.  I have a bit of an expertise with these concussions in my line of work.  As we get more familiar with concussion symptoms and long term consequences for them, we are constantly looking for the best ways to identify and treat them.  Certainly, RP and RT (and any child or athlete these days) would have undergone neurocognitive evaluation prior to the season as a baseline, and this is the level they would need to be returned to before they could be cleared from the protocol.  It makes me cringe to read anecdotal stories on this forum about kids being tougher back in the day, or pondering if we are too cautious.  In a way it may be over-reacting, but honestly a concussion by definition is a traumatic brain injury, and you never can be too careful.  More than likely this is being used to monitor their progress:  https://impactconcussion.com/

And as a side note, I have always enjoyed this board, respect the civility that is commonplace here, and look forward to posting more when I can!

2 minutes ago, btownmd said:

Long time follower and lurker, I used to post on prior boards.  I have a bit of an expertise with these concussions in my line of work.  As we get more familiar with concussion symptoms and long term consequences for them, we are constantly looking for the best ways to identify and treat them.  Certainly, RP and RT (and any child or athlete these days) would have undergone neurocognitive evaluation prior to the season as a baseline, and this is the level they would need to be returned to before they could be cleared from the protocol.  It makes me cringe to read anecdotal stories on this forum about kids being tougher back in the day, or pondering if we are too cautious.  In a way it may be over-reacting, but honestly a concussion by definition is a traumatic brain injury, and you never can be too careful.  More than likely this is being used to monitor their progress:  https://impactconcussion.com/

And as a side note, I have always enjoyed this board, respect the civility that is commonplace here, and look forward to posting more when I can!

Certainly nice to have you post.  And thanks for the kind words.  The civility that you mention comes via the hard work and tone established by the great mods we have had over time. 

11 minutes ago, btownmd said:

Welcome back! 

5 minutes ago, mrflynn03 said:

I wonder if the players that get put under protocol have any say in when they return? I know I would not want to be benched if I felt ready to play just because of a protocol.

The whole point is they don’t have any. One of the biggest problems is that players were being pressured to come back to soon. 

2 hours ago, 5 championships said:

I played all 3 sports I’m high school and dealt with concussions and have been with players who had concussions and 2 weeks is longest I’ve ever seen anybody out. 

I’m guessing Race injury was pretty bad but Rob looked like he barely got touched. I was very surprised he was in concussion protocol to begin with. Don’t really understand it. Seems like way overkill to me but I’m no doctor. 

My oldest son during a varsity football game had his helmet  knocked off at the 2 yard line wanting to score he dove and got a helmet to head hit. He wanted to keep playing but coach and parents said absolutely not.  Diagnosed with a concussion not sure the grade spent 1 week home from school in total darkness could not stand any light. Was clear to play 3 days later. He missed 2 games and had no issues.  That's the worst I have been around.

At the time of injury he knew and remembered everything by time we got to hospital he was asking why we were going to hospital he was going to be late for pre game and afraid he would not start

9 minutes ago, Billingsley99 said:

At the time of injury he knew and remembered everything by time we got to hospital he was asking why we were going to hospital he was going to be late for pre game and afraid he would not start.

Which is really scary. Maybe the current protocols are proper.

SOOOOO. .... The guy replacing Rob P. is the most recent winner of the Gold Jersey.  I keep saying, for IU it's more that just the next man up.... it's the quality of the depth this season.  Can't remember an IU team (and I have been an avid IU since the early 1950's) that has suffered this many injuries in one season.  Heck... when Scott May went down... and that was just one man.... it effectively cost us a national championship.  Different type of  injury, I know.... however, Knight wondered often if he brought May back too soon.  With the depth  this team has, and all other things considered aside.... better to side on caution, than be sorry later. 

25 minutes ago, Billingsley99 said:

My oldest son during a varsity football game had his helmet  knocked off at the 2 yard line wanting to score he dove and got a helmet to head hit. He wanted to keep playing but coach and parents said absolutely not.  Diagnosed with a concussion not sure the grade spent 1 week home from school in total darkness could not stand any light. Was clear to play 3 days later. He missed 2 games and had no issues.  That's the worst I have been around.

At the time of injury he knew and remembered everything by time we got to hospital he was asking why we were going to hospital he was going to be late for pre game and afraid he would not start

I got blindsided my senior year.  got hit in the back of the head helmet to helmet. Didnt knock me out but everything went black for a minute or so.  I thought I went blind.  Sight came back finished game and season.  No doctor or bench time.

Before my freshman year had a dirt bike wreck that knocked me out hard.  I was going 60 truck pulled out and my head got real familiar with the gravel road. I remember waking up in the ditch.  a friend was riding in the truck and a few days later he had to tell me what happened because I couldn't remember. Still dont. I regret being so stubborn and refusing to go to the hospital. Im really lucky to have walked away from that.

I was wearing a helmet or else I wouldn't be here. I hit so hard it cracked it.

2 minutes ago, milehiiu said:

SOOOOO. .... The guy replacing Rob P. is the most recent winner of the Gold Jersey.  I keep saying, for IU it's more that just the next man up.... it's the quality of the depth this season.  Can't remember an IU team (and I have been an avid IU since the early 1950's) that has suffered this many injuries in one season.  Heck... when Scott May went down... and that was just one man.... it effectively cost us a national championship.  Different type of  injury, I know.... however, Knight wondered often if he brought May back too soon.  With the depth  this team has, and all other things considered aside.... better to side on caution, than be sorry later. 

You hit the nail on the head Mile! It's not like our options to run the point are "chopped liver!"  Don't forget Al Durham and Romeo can "report for duty" if called up!

Archived