Injuries

12 minutes ago, milehiiu said:

SOOOOO. .... The guy replacing Rob P. is the most recent winner of the Gold Jersey.  I keep saying, for IU it's more that just the next man up.... it's the quality of the depth this season.  Can't remember an IU team (and I have been an avid IU since the early 1950's) that has suffered this many injuries in one season.  Heck... when Scott May went down... and that was just one man.... it effectively cost us a national championship.  Different type of  injury, I know.... however, Knight wondered often if he brought May back too soon.  With the depth  this team has, and all other things considered aside.... better to side on caution, than be sorry later. 

Remember at the beginning of the year we thought our bench would be a huge strength! Unfortunately, instead of being a strength of dominating over the opposing teams bench, it has been relegated to next men up! Still thankful for the team that CAM has put on the floor!

• Replies 466
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 minutes ago, Artesian_86 said:

You hit the nail on the head Mile! It's not like our options to run the point are "chopped liver!"  Don't forget Al Durham and Romeo can "report for duty" if called up!

Thanks 86.  No, not me.... your mention of Al and Romeo, only enforces what I have been saying for weeks.  Not only is this team deep.... they are versatile.  Heck, there were times , in recent years,when guys came in off the end of the bench, either due to minor injury or foul trouble, that I would cringe.  Call it the "Priller effect ".

1 minute ago, Drroogh said:

Remember at the beginning of the year we thought our bench would be a huge strength! Unfortunately, instead of being a strength of dominating over the opposing teams bench, it has been relegated to next men up! Still thankful for the team that CAM has put on the floor!

True. But not sure we thought it would be this deep.  Keep saying the injuries have been a blessing in disguise.  Guys that would have sat for entire games, or just get a few minutes.... are getting valuable game time experience.  I don't care how much guys practice. There is no substitute for game experience. 

1 hour ago, btownmd said:

this Long time follower and lurker, I used to post on prior boards.  I have a bit of an expertise with these concussions in my line of work.  As we get more familiar with concussion symptoms and long term consequences for them, we are constantly looking for the best ways to identify and treat them.  Certainly, RP and RT (and any child or athlete these days) would have undergone neurocognitive evaluation prior to the season as a baseline, and this is the level they would need to be returned to before they could be cleared from the protocol.  It makes me cringe to read anecdotal stories on this forum about kids being tougher back in the day, or pondering if we are too cautious.  In a way it may be over-reacting, but honestly a concussion by definition is a traumatic brain injury, and you never can be too careful.  More than likely this is being used to monitor their progress:  https://impactconcussion.com/

And as a side note, I have always enjoyed this board, respect the civility that is commonplace here, and look forward to posting more when I can!

To me this is another one of those there is no good answer! I grew up in a time when there were no bicycle helmets, and the only tragic incident I recall was the younger brother of my neighbor (now Brother-in-law) being killed when he was riding double and their bike swerved in front of a truck! Sorry but a helmet would not have helped! Yet every day I see people younger than me who struggle just to walk! Why? Because they chose to live unhealthy lives that never really physically challenged their bodies! If we continue to try and live sterile protected lives we will only end up crippled human beings.

41 minutes ago, milehiiu said:

Heck... when Scott May went down... and that was just one man.... it effectively cost us a national championship.  Different type of  injury, I know.... however, Knight wondered often if he brought May back too soon. 

Not to your point, I know, but I've often thought that--playing May with a cast was a mistake. It emphasized what the Hoosiers were lacking and in reality left a hole in the lineup. Hindsight is 20/20. But, the Hoosiers still had to deal with the worst officiating I've ever seen in a game, and I've seen plenty. Even without May, it was the best team in the country that year. I digress, as usual.

18 minutes ago, Mac said:

Not to your point, I know, but I've often thought that--playing May with a cast was a mistake. It emphasized what the Hoosiers were lacking and in reality left a hole in the lineup. Hindsight is 20/20. But, the Hoosiers still had to deal with the worst officiating I've ever seen in a game, and I've seen plenty. Even without May, it was the best team in the country that year. I digress, as usual.

My memory of that game was how much I grew to hate officiating as they allowed the pUKe bigs to violate Benson without calling fouls! May was a non factor considering he only played 7 minutes. That was the game that made pUKe my single most despised team of all time!

I am very pleased that we are taking every precaution for the safety of our student athletes who are getting these concussions. Just seems to take a long time to get released. Rob P, is going on what three weeks and isn’t practicing. The other kid Race Thompson hasn’t really played this year yet. What is it that keeps them out?just asking 

3 hours ago, Bob said:

I am very pleased that we are taking every precaution for the safety of our student athletes who are getting these concussions. Just seems to take a long time to get released. Rob P, is going on what three weeks and isn’t practicing. The other kid Race Thompson hasn’t really played this year yet. What is it that keeps them out?just asking 

I couldn’t agree more. I’d like to see us do something like adding an additional scholarship to teams and keeping the high level of safety. 

The only down side of playing it safe is that it hurts a team. So I think we should consider increasing scholarships by one.

15 hours ago, FW_Hoosier said:

I’m betting it’s a CYA move directly related to this...

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.indystar.com/amp/94862298

Annoying.

Brought this up last month as well. Wouldn't doubt it one bit. If the kids are hurt fine....but this is getting ridiculous. Months for 1 headache and now 2 weeks for another. Just when RP was getting started and finally over the freshman hump. Back to ground zero again. 

i think our lack of depth/injuries is a little overblown.  not having Phin hurts for sure, but coming in to the season, we looked at him as a back-up PG.  we're missing McRoberts which many on here think is a bigger deal than me.  i understand that.  Hunter is the only other one we really thought would have a big role that is injured.  we're still looking at

Langford

Morgan

Smith

Durham

Green

Davis

Fitzner

Anderson

that's enough to survive.  play the top 5 a lot of minutes.  

1 hour ago, NCHoosier32 said:

i think our lack of depth/injuries is a little overblown.  not having Phin hurts for sure, but coming in to the season, we looked at him as a back-up PG.  we're missing McRoberts which many on here think is a bigger deal than me.  i understand that.  Hunter is the only other one we really thought would have a big role that is injured.  we're still looking at

Langford

Morgan

Smith

Durham

Green

Davis

Fitzner

Anderson

I don't know. I think this is a big setback. After Juwan, RP was showing the most leadership on this team. Not having him run the team over the past two weeks of practice was a lost opportunity.

In the Jacksonville game, Green played 36 min and Al 32 in a 30 point blowout. That's too many minutes for the conference schedule. No margin of error for foul trouble, rolled ankles, etc. Plus, and I hope I'm proven wrong,  I just don't trust Green to play that many minutes and run the show in close conference games.

1 hour ago, 13th&Jackson said:

I don't know. I think this is a big setback. After Juwan, RP was showing the most leadership on this team. Not having him run the team over the past two weeks of practice was a lost opportunity.

In the Jacksonville game, Green played 36 min and Al 32 in a 30 point blowout. That's too many minutes for the conference schedule. No margin of error for foul trouble, rolled ankles, etc. Plus, and I hope I'm proven wrong,  I just don't trust Green to play that many minutes and run the show in close conference games.

i don't disagree that missing RP hurts.  big fan.  i just think that's the only major loss we have right now.  Hunter would have been a bonus.  McRoberts hasn't given us anything all season.  we do still have 8 solid players who are healthy and only missing one key player.  would rather be missing 0, but we're okay vs Illinois at home.  we have enough concern playing @ Michigan when we are 100%.  without RP it seems like it would take a miracle.  

2 hours ago, Proud2BAHoosier said:

Another player that has been disappointing is Fitzner. I thought he was supposed to be a 3 point sharp shooter and I haven't seen it.

He and McRoberts need to step it up.....

Both of those guys are capable three point shooters.  And have demonstrated, albeit for short periods of time, that they can hit the trey. 

I liken both to trying to start a fire in the woods, with a piece of flint.  Keep getting sparks.  Try, try again.... until the fire starts blazing.

21 hours ago, Artesian_86 said:

You hit the nail on the head Mile! It's not like our options to run the point are "chopped liver!"  Don't forget Al Durham and Romeo can "report for duty" if called up!

I know we don't play Duke every game but from the ball handling I saw then and at spots throughout the season replacing Robert isn't easy. He is still our best ball handler and makes excellent decisions and gets the ball to the right people in the right spots. Just because we might have guys that can get it up the floor...or hit shots there is still a lot we will miss if Robert can't play. Not to mention he has been our clutch 3pt shooter down the stretch this season.

7 hours ago, NCHoosier32 said:

Langford

Morgan

Smith

Durham

Green

Davis

Fitzner

Anderson

What we thought going into the season doesn't really matter. Phinisee is the teams starting point guard. He's the best at running the offense, most consistent and best ball handler, as well as the smartest pg on the roster. While Green is certainly capable of having great games and leading IU to wins, missing Phinisee is big for all the reasons mentioned before and for depth. 

8 hours ago, Seeking6 said:

Brought this up last month as well. Wouldn't doubt it one bit. If the kids are hurt fine....but this is getting ridiculous. Months for 1 headache and now 2 weeks for another. Just when RP was getting started and finally over the freshman hump. Back to ground zero again. 

Did you just compare a concussion to a headache?

Archived