Injuries

• Replies 466
  • Created
  • Last Reply
8 hours ago, dgambill said:

I’m with everyone in protecting the kids...I think what if it was my own. What I don’t understand is what is the protocol? Is it set by NCAA like NFL has one. This shouldn’t be done by the schools. As it should have a standard set and not endanger some kid from coming back too soon. My whole point is I don’t honestly think there is one and if you leave it open for each school you are going to get varying degrees of treatment...and possibly nobody knows but one where a school like Indiana who had a history in another sport of not taking it serious enough now over compensating to make sure they don’t become the next Espn sports reporters article. If we don’t know enough to set a standard treatment recovery plan then to me we have to revert back to trusting the young man that if he has no further symptoms he is fine to go. Now it does sound like he was still suffering up until the other night because of the interviews of him not being himself. So I trust that. But when we have two concussions and guys out a month or more yet you don’t see that at other schools it does make you start to wonder. Hopefully people are right and this is the proper treatment. Hopefully it isn’t a knee jerk reaction to our football scandal. That is all. I want these kids to be safe...but if they are healthy I want them on the floor too.

I'm not associated with the athletic department, but I can guarantee you that there is a protocol that is set by Indiana University, likely very similar to most other universities.  There normally are not further repeated CT scans, as a concussion by definition is a brain injury without blood noted on the brain, thus there is nothing to see.  The link I referenced earlier is for what's call IMPACT testing, with is a computer program that is designed to test a player's cognition, and compares this to how he performed pre-concussion.  This is almost certainly being used.  It isn't in the kid's hands to say, "I'm good coach put me in," and it isn't on the coach's hands to say "you look good, rub some dirt on it and get back in there."  Once the patient is free of concussive symptoms, and has returned to near baseline with the neurocognition testing, he would be cleared to resume normal contact sports.  Why this may seem excessive to some, when you look at the data from the NFL, and all of the CTE cases, you need to take any minor symptoms seriously.

6 minutes ago, btownmd said:

I'm not associated with the athletic department, but I can guarantee you that there is a protocol that is set by Indiana University, likely very similar to most other universities.  There normally are not further repeated CT scans, as a concussion by definition is a brain injury without blood noted on the brain, thus there is nothing to see.  The link I referenced earlier is for what's call IMPACT testing, with is a computer program that is designed to test a player's cognition, and compares this to how he performed pre-concussion.  This is almost certainly being used.  It isn't in the kid's hands to say, "I'm good coach put me in," and it isn't on the coach's hands to say "you look good, rub some dirt on it and get back in there."  Once the patient is free of concussive symptoms, and has returned to near baseline with the neurocognition testing, he would be cleared to resume normal contact sports.  Why this may seem excessive to some, when you look at the data from the NFL, and all of the CTE cases, you need to take any minor symptoms seriously.

Great insight.  Thanks for contributing it.

Makes me wonder what the sport of football will look like in 20 years.

2 minutes ago, CauseThatsMyDJ said:

Still curious what your point was

The dude got rocked, twice.  I'm not a doctor but if that didn't cause a concussion,  I'm totally clueless as to what does.  

My nephew, 14, has had 3.  1 from diving board, 1 from getting jumped at school, and the 3rd I can't remember.  I guess I wonder,  are some people more susceptible and others more resilient?  I remember 8th grade basketball practice,  Christmas break, legs swept up under me and I totally land head first, seeing stars.  I think I sat out a few possessions.   Did I have a concussion?  How are major blows not one for one guy and what appears to be minor blows season threatening for another?  

10 hours ago, NotIThatLives said:

The dude got rocked, twice.  I'm not a doctor but if that didn't cause a concussion,  I'm totally clueless as to what does.  

My nephew, 14, has had 3.  1 from diving board, 1 from getting jumped at school, and the 3rd I can't remember.  I guess I wonder,  are some people more susceptible and others more resilient?  I remember 8th grade basketball practice,  Christmas break, legs swept up under me and I totally land head first, seeing stars.  I think I sat out a few possessions.   Did I have a concussion?  How are major blows not one for one guy and what appears to be minor blows season threatening for another?  

You may have had a concussion. The brain is a funny thing. Guy had a seizure at work he came to and had no recollection of it. You could have been displaying concussion symptoms and had no recollection. 

10 hours ago, NotIThatLives said:

How are major blows not one for one guy and what appears to be minor blows season threatening for another?  

The concussions have been very frustrating - we can probably thank Kevin Wilson for all this. 

Hopefully, Rob can play at MD - I’m going to be cautiously optimistic.

16 hours ago, macomb hoosier said:

Coverdale's anlke in 02 was pretty tough/frustrating

I have actually just watched a couple of games from the 2002 tournament and Jefferies also had an ankle injury.  In one of the broadcast they said Jefferies should take 12 weeks off because of the severity of his ankle injury but played anyways.

13 minutes ago, 5 championships said:

These “injury’s” are Very very very very frustrating. If you have a hang nail you automatically miss 2 weeks...

Totally understand the frustration.  I prefer to curse our luck rather than the protocol or if an opposing fan saw this post, they would say we are placing the onus on the player. 

I trust the staff on this as we didn't seem to have anything near this level of injury last year.  Fortunately, Romeo didn't have a concussion when he got that bloody nose a few games back.

1 minute ago, PoHoosier said:

Totally understand the frustration.  I prefer to curse our luck rather than the protocol or if an opposing fan saw this post, they would say we are placing the onus on the player. 

I trust the staff on this as we didn't seem to have anything near this level of injury last year.  Fortunately, Romeo didn't have a concussion when he got that bloody nose a few games back.

Very true about Romeo 

Archived