Injuries

We have no option but to trust that the medical staff have sufficient reason to be holding Rob out. I know it’s frustrating when we see football players get knocked out on the field and come back the next week to be human battering Rams again the next but obviously they type of concussion Rob and Race have suffered are more severe then an avg bump to the head. Watched the kid from S Carolina the other night come back after missing two games from a concussion to pour in 25 but every injury isn’t the same. I’m sure Frank Martin was just happy to have the guy cleared because he was incredible in his return. Just hope Rob when he comes back picks up where he left off.

• Replies 466
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I just wonder if the protocol is based on an NCAA standard or if every university is allowed their own interpretation. I don’t want this to affect our players long term, but if IU is being more cautious than other universities, it’s going to be difficult to compete. I must admit I’m really struggling with how long the recovery is taking. O can’t believe these guys do t want to out there playing, which to me says it has little to do with what feedback their giving the doctors. At this rate, we need to start having them wear boxing headgear...

47 minutes ago, iufaninand said:

I just wonder if the protocol is based on an NCAA standard or if every university is allowed their own interpretation. I don’t want this to affect our players long term, but if IU is being more cautious than other universities, it’s going to be difficult to compete. I must admit I’m really struggling with how long the recovery is taking. O can’t believe these guys do t want to out there playing, which to me says it has little to do with what feedback their giving the doctors. At this rate, we need to start having them wear boxing headgear...

I want them to be safe too. However this is getting a bit odd.

It's unusual, but I wonder if we can petition the NCAA for an injury exemption redshirt for Race?  I realize he has already burned his redshirt, but he played up a year since he should have been a senior in high school.  Then, when he's eligible, he loses a season because of a concussion which is a polite way of saying a brain injury.  

There is the occasional circumstance where the NCAA grants a sixth season, i.e., two redshirts, due to an extenuating injury situation.

With the way this has played out, and with a mission of doing right by student athletes, I hope the NCAA considers giving him a second redshirt, this time for the brain injury.

36 minutes ago, BobSaccamanno said:

It's unusual, but I wonder if we can petition the NCAA for an injury exemption redshirt for Race?  I realize he has already burned his redshirt, but he played up a year since he should have been a senior in high school.  Then, when he's eligible, he loses a season because of a concussion which is a polite way of saying a brain injury.  

There is the occasional circumstance where the NCAA grants a sixth season, i.e., two redshirts, due to an extenuating injury situation.

With the way this has played out, and with a mission of doing right by student athletes, I hope the NCAA considers giving him a second redshirt, this time for the brain injury.

Yes but I don't think iu would know until after his 5th year, then you apply.  

2 minutes ago, Lookingforahard6th said:

Nerleans Noel has already been cleared to play after being taken off on stretcher unconscious. What is wrong with our trainers!!

Every injury is different. You are dealing with a brain injury, trainers have nothing to do with it. You can't ice it then tape it up.

Archived