Injuries

59 minutes ago, StLHoosier said:

Any updates on Hunter?  It was good to see him in the sideline this last game, and he looked to be in good spirits (from the tv).  Is there a general consensus that he will be back at some point this year?  I would assume so since they haven’t announced a red shirt or anything, but then again, they might be playing the wait and see game.

From what I was told, he will be back.

I was given layman's terms of what he had done. Given my medical background, I am not too concerned...based on the layman's terms only. Of course, if I was given more detail, I could change my mind. However, regardless of the severity of the problem and invasiveness of any surgery/procedure, directions will always be to limit activity on the affected body part for a period of time to promote healing. A couple weeks is reasonable, especially considering the high level of stress the lower leg is under while playing basketball. Consider it a nice sign that he's walking around without assistance after lower leg surgery/procedure.

And, from what I was told, I would expect a late December/early January comeback.

• Replies 466
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 hours ago, dwtaylor1055 said:

IF he was to return around that timeframe, that would be a big boost even if he has limited minutes for the remainder of the year

I’m not sure that there will be any restrictions, because to my knowledge, it wasn’t a major problem. We all speculated about the severity and it was dismissed by everyone close... not dismissed as nonconcern for Jerome, but rather the severity of the injury. I heard that he’ll be back and have plenty of opportunity to come in and make a difference. How he performs at practice will dictate how soon he returns and he’ll find a spot in the rotation soon enough. 

2 hours ago, IUwins0708 said:

Jerome’s injury is very serious.  It’s been corrected and he could come back this season.  Let’s hope it doesn’t return.  I’m not going to say what it is but it was serious.

Drop me an IM, please. It may have been a precautious deflection from one of the staff members... perhaps I misunderstood. 

11 minutes ago, Danomatic said:

Drop me an IM, please. It may have been a precautious deflection from one of the staff members... perhaps I misunderstood. 

I doubt he can due to privacy concerns.  I said awhile back that it sounded like blood clots in his legs, which is what killed my cousin in his 50's...just dropped him one day when he was getting out of his truck.  A couple of days earlier, he'd complained of significant leg pain.  He wasn't autopsied, but it was speculated with some confidence by the coroner that as a trucker, he developed a blood clot or clots in his leg and when he got out of his truck, a clot broke loose and went to his heart killing him pretty much instantly.  His personal physician agreed it was likely and the family skipped the autopsy.  Given that we've heard "leg pain" and heredity", as well as surgery (to remove a clot or clots, perhaps?), I suspect Jerome had a clot or clots in his leg(s), had it or them surgically removed and is now on blood thinners to dissolve anything remaining post-surgery.  If I'm right, this is NOT something that goes away quickly and if he plays at all, it would likely be late in the season.

I would temper your expectations.  If Jerome developed blood clots, he's lucky it was caught when it was.  If he plays at all this season, consider it a real bonus. 

23 minutes ago, FKIM01 said:

I doubt he can due to privacy concerns.  I said awhile back that it sounded like blood clots in his legs, which is what killed my cousin in his 50's...just dropped him one day when he was getting out of his truck.  A couple of days earlier, he'd complained of significant leg pain.  He wasn't autopsied, but it was speculated with some confidence by the coroner that as a trucker, he developed a blood clot or clots in his leg and when he got out of his truck, a clot broke loose and went to his heart killing him pretty much instantly.  His personal physician agreed it was likely and the family skipped the autopsy.  Given that we've heard "leg pain" and heredity", as well as surgery (to remove a clot or clots, perhaps?), I suspect Jerome had a clot or clots in his leg(s), had it or them surgically removed and is now on blood thinners to dissolve anything remaining post-surgery.  If I'm right, this is NOT something that goes away quickly and if he plays at all, it would likely be late in the season.

I would temper your expectations.  If Jerome developed blood clots, he's lucky it was caught when it was.  If he plays at all this season, consider it a real bonus. 

We’re good. I just wanted to make sure we were hearing similar results. Only my source downplayed the severity. Most likely due to the fact that it seems that the procedure had a positive outcome and he hasn’t suffered any further setbacks. 

3 minutes ago, Danomatic said:

We’re good. I just wanted to make sure we were hearing similar results. Only my source downplayed the severity. Most likely due to the fact that it seems that the procedure had a positive outcome and he hasn’t suffered any further setbacks. 

It all depends on how quickly the doctors clear him.  If he did have DVT(s), they'll want to ensure that any remaining clot material is sufficiently dissolved to not pose any threat of breaking loose and going to the heart.  Maybe that happens sooner vs. later, but I don't see a doctor getting in a hurry and possibly subjecting himself to wrongful death liability by clearing a kid prematurely.  I hope sooner, but if it takes a redshirt to ensure the Jerome's well-being, that's what we all obviously want.

3 minutes ago, StLHoosier said:

If this is true and he’s on blood thinners, does he run the risk of being like a hemophiliac, or can they “dial” in the dosage to where his blood will still clot if cut?

I speculated the same thing...if he gets his nose smashed on court while taking thinners, he'll likely bleed a lot.

21 minutes ago, FKIM01 said:

I speculated the same thing...if he gets his nose smashed on court while taking thinners, he'll likely bleed a lot.

I just replied to this post because it is your most recent one.  My cousin stopped by today.  A retired Doctor and a Cleveland Clinic patient due to his heart issues.  We talked Purdue(yes, he is a Boiler), and I tapped into his medical knowledge concerning Hunter.  He mentioned thrombosis and it's hereditary issues.  The Cleveland Clinic works on that condition to a tee.  

51 minutes ago, rico said:

I just replied to this post because it is your most recent one.  My cousin stopped by today.  A retired Doctor and a Cleveland Clinic patient due to his heart issues.  We talked Purdue(yes, he is a Boiler), and I tapped into his medical knowledge concerning Hunter.  He mentioned thrombosis and it's hereditary issues.  The Cleveland Clinic works on that condition to a tee.  

...sounds like we are coming to a consensus here.  It may never be publicly confirmed, but I'm with your cousin...DVT (at least one maybe more).  I've been encouraged with subsequent reports.  Sounds like Cleveland Clinic took very good care of Jerome.

...and I'd bet on him playing at 100%.  The only question I have is whether or not he makes it back this season.

2 minutes ago, FKIM01 said:

...sounds like we are coming to a consensus here.  It may never be publicly confirmed, but I'm with your cousin...DVT (at least one maybe more).  I've been encouraged with subsequent reports.  Sounds like Cleveland Clinic took very good care of Jerome.

Doc told me Jerome would be alright with proper medication if it is indeed thrombosis.  Got more I could say but he is smarter than me.  Too many medical terms.

1 minute ago, rico said:

Doc told me Jerome would be alright with proper medication if it is indeed thrombosis.  Got more I could say but he is smarter than me.  Too many medical terms.

Absolutely.  I'm thankful that they got it diagnosed before something broke loose.  I don't know what they'll put Jerome on if he needs an anticoagulant, but hopefully, it's something as simple as a daily baby aspirin.  Probably doesn't start there, but maybe it adjusts down to something like that.

2 hours ago, 5fouls said:

The '15-'16 B1G Championship team had 6 players play in all 35 games that season.

Through 8 games this season, there have only been 5 players play in every game.

That's a crazy stat. The somewhat poor play is directly tied to this IMO. Some may call it an excuse, but any team that is missing anywhere from 4-6 scholarship players, including 2-4 (McRoberts, Green, Davis and Hunter) are legit rotation guys, your play is going to suffer. It's just reality, not an excuse. 

1 hour ago, CauseThatsMyDJ said:

Can’t confirm, but I was told that on the pregame show, Fisch said that Hunter “probably won’t play this year.”

I did hear him say that. It was part of the  injury report. Did he mean 2018 or the season? I wouldn't rely on that statement until we hear something further.

9 hours ago, Reacher said:

I did hear him say that. It was part of the  injury report. Did he mean 2018 or the season? I wouldn't rely on that statement until we hear something further.

I heard him say it as well.  Just something to keep a close eye on.  

Archived