Chicago State Pregame Thread

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply
15 minutes ago, dbmhoosier said:

Why are we scheduling such an atrocious opponent?  Is Archie playing it safe after last year's opening debacle?

6 out of 31 games are against weak or what you call atrocious opponents. With 20 conference games on tap and another 5 vs Duke, Louisville, Butler, Arkansas, and Marquette.....I'd say get used to 5 or 6 lay downs every year. Now the key on scheduling will be this. Will games that occupy 20% of our schedule occupy 95% of your comments about it?

Personally...we need some easy ones.

39 minutes ago, dbmhoosier said:

Why are we scheduling such an atrocious opponent?  Is Archie playing it safe after last year's opening debacle?

Two words:

Build momentum.

This is still a really young group of guys who, while talented, will likely need a little gel time before they’re ready for the Duke’s and Butler’s of the game.

5 hours ago, dbmhoosier said:

Honestly I want no part of the ISU/IUPUFW of the world. We get nothing for beating them and it's like their Championship Game every year to get up to beat us. Those local kids live to show they belonged at IU. You don't see UK playing Murray State or Western Kentucky or any of those teams....it puts them in a no win situation. Kids from outside the state are happy to get on tv. This is a good game to clean up stuff and get rotations and guys some minutes before the season really hits.

7 hours ago, dbmhoosier said:

Everyone plays a couple of these teams.  Chicago St. is 344 in KenPom.  Villanova opens against Morgan State, who is 343.  Not on opening night, but UK plays VMI (305) and Duke plays Stetson (334).  

2 hours ago, Hoosier82 said:

I didn't realize Durham was hurt. Sorry if already posted but what happened to him? I take it Hunter is full go? Too bad for Race, he needs games like these to get playing time and show what he can contribute. Otherwise he may never get off the bench. 

He got nicked up (I believe) towards the end of the first half of the exhibition against Southern Indiana.

19 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

Everyone plays a couple of these teams.  Chicago St. is 344 in KenPom.  Villanova opens against Morgan State, who is 343.  Not on opening night, but UK plays VMI (305) and Duke plays Stetson (334).  

I know I just don't understand why we don't schedule teams in the 150 range instead.  It should be an easy win either way and would be better for the SOS.

53 minutes ago, dbmhoosier said:

I know I just don't understand why we don't schedule teams in the 150 range instead.  It should be an easy win either way and would be better for the SOS.

Can't think of a better matchup than this one for our first game this year. Not sure what Indiana State was ranked last year, but I'd imagine in the 100's. 

If Duke, Kentucky and Nova all have at least one in the 300s scheduled, I see no problem we follow suit. I like it Especially for the first game this year after last years opening loss, those are confidence wreckers for a young team like us. As someone else alluded to...build momentum.

2 hours ago, dbmhoosier said:

I’ve been asking the same question for years. Maybe it’s hard to find enough  teams in the 125-175 range but we need to find a way to schedule less 250+ if not any teams above that mark. No good comes from this...it almost counts as a loss in KenPom, BPI, RPI etc no matter how much we win by, and the fans loath these games. As of a couple hours ago there was a pair of courtside sideline bleecher seats on sale at Vivid Tickets for $75 each. I’m not even sure that’s face value...in context those seats will sell anywhere from 1500-3000 each depending on the opponent and day of the game this season. 

3 hours ago, dbmhoosier said:

Could also be Archie partly easing his way into scheduling these types of games and trying to establish the correct types of relationships that will help benefit the Hoosiers for what types of opponents they play.

Archived