Chicago State Pregame Thread

2 hours ago, Hoosier82 said:

I’ve been asking the same question for years. Maybe it’s hard to find enough  teams in the 125-175 range but we need to find a way to schedule less 250+ if not any teams above that mark. No good comes from this...it almost counts as a loss in KenPom, BPI, RPI etc no matter how much we win by, and the fans loath these games. As of a couple hours ago there was a pair of courtside sideline bleecher seats on sale at Vivid Tickets for $75 each. I’m not even sure that’s face value...in context those seats will sell anywhere from 1500-3000 each depending on the opponent and day of the game this season. 

Every team schedules a couple of games against 250+ opponents.  Every single team.  Why should IU be different?

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply
13 hours ago, dbmhoosier said:

I know I just don't understand why we don't schedule teams in the 150 range instead.  It should be an easy win either way and would be better for the SOS.

There is always the issue of every other big 5 conference and some mid-majors who want the same thing.  There are only so many team you can play on a certain date.  Sometimes you can't find a team in the 150 - 250 that can fit into your schedule, so you move down the list.  And sometimes you just want a good old beat down to get the juices flowing to start the season :D 

In the current world of one and dones and early entrants, most teams are going to have a freshman or multiple freshmen playing meaningful minutes.  Regardless of how highly touted they are, regardless of how hard practices are, regardless of how the pre-season game went, its a whole new environment when the games start for real. I would rather ease these kids into it, let them get used to the crowds, the increased intensity, the spotlight without the added pressure of potentially screwing up and losing an opening game. Even though some of these recruits come in with a lot of hype, confidence can be fragile until they find some success at a higher level of play. Would hate for a kid to lose his focus right out of the gate and would rather they take incremental steps to being able to help the team. 

These kinds of games serve the purpose of helping the newcomers become adjusted to Div 1 basketball. The rest of the schedule will take care of any concerns over SOS when it comes tournament time.

20 hours ago, dbmhoosier said:

I know I just don't understand why we don't schedule teams in the 150 range instead.  It should be an easy win either way and would be better for the SOS.

17 hours ago, Hoosier82 said:

I’ve been asking the same question for years. Maybe it’s hard to find enough  teams in the 125-175 range but we need to find a way to schedule less 250+ if not any teams above that mark. No good comes from this...it almost counts as a loss in KenPom, BPI, RPI etc no matter how much we win by, and the fans loath these games. As of a couple hours ago there was a pair of courtside sideline bleecher seats on sale at Vivid Tickets for $75 each. I’m not even sure that’s face value...in context those seats will sell anywhere from 1500-3000 each depending on the opponent and day of the game this season. 

You guys need to learn the changes to the NCAA tournament.  RPI is no longer considered.  The new system will give credit for good wins and bad losses, and ideally take the best of the old "SOS/RPI" data and incorporate it into the "NET Ranking."  The old concern of playing a #353 team is mostly gone (not entirely gone, and I don't know that the algorithm has been published to know the exact extent).  The "quadrant" wins will be huge again.  We have enough opportunities for good quadrant wins.  And now they'll look more into Net Efficiency.  

The bigger concern is whether or not we'll have opportunities for good wins.  We have plenty of those.  ITH did a great summary of our opportunities recently.  

1 hour ago, CauseThatsMyDJ said:

You are correct. My interpretation of JEFF's question was asking if it would be replayed.

I was wrong in my head. I thought this game was going to be streamed for the 10.95 a m9nth deal. I now know I'm watching it on BTN! Thanks guys for getting me straight!!

On 11/5/2018 at 10:28 AM, CauseThatsMyDJ said:

When: Tuesday, November 6th at 6:30pm ET on BTN

ESPN: 98% chance of IU victory

KenPom: #28 IU has a 99.7% chance of victory over #344 Chicago St with an expected score of 88-59.

Vegas: IU -37.5

Here's to a season opener that doesn't bring back memories of Indiana State.

And DJ,yes I did read your OP, but I was being stubborn and read right over BTN bc I already had my mind made up! Lol

Bittersweet start to the season for me. I’m excited to start the season, but this will be my first IU game without my dad. We had to take him off life support Sunday evening. I’m going to miss our post game calls to celebrate victory or replay the game in defeat. I’m going to miss his mid game texts griping about missed free throws. Should be a fun season and I’m ready to get it rolling tonight. 

12 minutes ago, Parakeet Jones said:

Bittersweet start to the season for me. I’m excited to start the season, but this will be my first IU game without my dad. We had to take him off life support Sunday evening. I’m going to miss our post game calls to celebrate victory or replay the game in defeat. I’m going to miss his mid game texts griping about missed free throws. Should be a fun season and I’m ready to get it rolling tonight. 

Thoughts and prayers for you and your family. 

24 minutes ago, Parakeet Jones said:

Sorry to hear Jones. May your father rest in peace.

29 minutes ago, Parakeet Jones said:

Sorry for your loss Parakeet. 

Archived