What the National Media is Saying About IU

1 hour ago, zerawkid said:

I still don’t understand the Purdue love...on any level. 

Do these guys know something we don’t?

They apparently missed Purdue's exhibition game where everybody not named Ryan Cline went 0-20 from the three-point line.

NBA prospects Nojel Eastern was a stellar 1-5 for 2 points and Carson Edwards scored 6 points on 12 shots against powerhouse Marian.

• 2 weeks later...
On ‎11‎/‎6‎/‎2018 at 1:49 PM, Colonialcrester said:

After so many false starts the national guys aren't falling for it this year...we need to prove it for a couple of years before they give us the benefit of the doubt.  I am hoping that this is the year we start doing it.

Agree, but what baffles me is how they continue the dumb false starts of naming unproven freshman like UK has as national champion contenders? Why don't they have to prove anything? If IU has to prove themselves, UK should also have to prove themselves! Just another case of journalistic sensationalism instead of reality in my mind! 

7 minutes ago, Drroogh said:

Agree, but what baffles me is how they continue the dumb false starts of naming unproven freshman like UK has as national champion contenders? Why don't they have to prove anything? If IU has to prove themselves, UK should also have to prove themselves! Just another case of journalistic sensationalism instead of reality in my mind! 

Uh they've been to the FF like 45% of the time under Cal.

15 minutes ago, dbmhoosier said:

Uh they've been to the FF like 45% of the time under Cal.

Okay!  But why don't they have to prove it at the beginning of the season? I mean they have already lost to Duke badly, and struggled to beat  S Ill. and VMI and yet you defend that they should automatically be named a top seed in the tournament?

9 minutes ago, Drroogh said:

Okay!  But why don't they have to prove it at the beginning of the season? I mean they have already lost to Duke badly, and struggled to beat  S Ill. and VMI and yet you defend that they should automatically be named a top seed in the tournament?

They wouldn't be a top seed if the tourney started today.  It's why MSU was ranked #10 to start and we were unranked despite having a better roster.  Izzo has 7 FFs and gets the benefit of the doubt.  Archie just isn't there yet but I truly believe he'll earn respect in time.

1 minute ago, dbmhoosier said:

They wouldn't be a top seed if the tourney started today.  It's why MSU was ranked #10 to start and we were unranked despite having a better roster.  Izzo has 7 FFs and gets the benefit of the doubt.  Archie just isn't there yet but I truly believe he'll earn respect in time.

Still doesn't speak to why a completely unproven UK gets respect and other teams around the country get none!

12 minutes ago, dbmhoosier said:

I saw a top 25 with UK at 16.  They would not be a top seed in most polls.

EDIT: I read your post wrong.  My bad.

8 minutes ago, dbmhoosier said:

Had a couple more sips and reread, but you make my point " They wouldn't be a top seed if the tourney started today" and yet they get a pre-season ranking of what? My point is if IU has to prove themselves then  so should the likes of UK!

7 minutes ago, Drroogh said:

Had a couple more sips and reread, but you make my point " They wouldn't be a top seed if the tourney started today" and yet they get a pre-season ranking of what? My point is if IU has to prove themselves then  so should the likes of UK!

Well someone has to be ranked high to start.  In the age of one and dones and grad transfers it's largely a guesstimate.  Why not go with the coaches who landed top recruits and have consistently had success in the past?

16 hours ago, Drroogh said:

I think it is more that Cal has a record of taking those freshman and finishing the year with an Elite 8 if not Final 4 year in and year out. This year's team actually had more returning guys than I think I can remember in several years. On top of Green, Washington, and Richards they brought in an elite grad transfer in Reid Travis. They have underperformed pretty significantly and simply won on talent for the most part...but by season's end if the guards come along they should be a final 4 team. The difference in our freshman is we only have one of the quality that they have that many thought should be able to produce right away. Robert has definitely played above his ranking but the fact remains...UK has a much stronger roster based on who was returning and the level of recruits that came in. Give Archie a few years of stacking classes like last years and some tourney success and he will get the benefit of the doubt too.

Archived