Chicago State Postgame Thread

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

the depth is just insane. and apparently way more than i thought have the ability to drive the lane and even shoot from mid to 3 range. This season seems to get more promising.

Definitely starting to agree with 5fouls that Romeo is a scorer not shooter, and the shooting part might take some time if we see it this season. But an affordable loss in his game. Hopefully we can get Al Race and Jerome back soon because this team is deep.

We really are deep. In short time Jake looked really solid, as but one example among several.

While Phin was solid running primary point with 5 assists to go with 6 points, Green looked really smooth in scoring -- second on the team with 15 to go with 3 assists. Edit -- Damn, didn't realize Rob had 5 steals. 

I think McBob led the plus/minus again, and ended up with 7 boards to go with 6 points.

The free throw shooting remains a head scracher for me. We're going to lose games at the line, instead of winning them at the line, if we don't clean that up

Finally caught up on dvr after a long work day. Hard to tell where we are overall against a team like this, but I enjoyed watching our boys for the first time this year. We're definitely WAY ahead of last year's team in practically every way....better depth...better shooting....better talent. Obviously wished the free three shooting had improved but I don't expect Romeo to struggle like that from the line often. Really enjoyed watching Phinisee play the point position. I would just assume keep him in the starting line up for the time being and continue to have Green come off the bench for defense and hope he gets hot for a stretch. 

Biggest criticism of the game was tolerating Crispen's announcing. Good lord dude....take a breath and think about what you're about to say next! He's like a poor man's Dakich.....if that's even possible. 

We really look improved in almost every category.  For an opening night, I thought our play was overall pretty solid with all the little brain farts and misqueues to be expected. 

I'll really be surprised if Rob P. isn't our #1 PG by the time BT play starts (if not sooner). Deron Davis looked pretty good, all things considered.

Team FT shooting still needs to improve quite a bit.

The guys doing the broadcast didn't even mention Hunter as I recall - just one more quality player that Archie will eventually have at his disposal.

The length and depth of this team is incredible. In a couple years Forrester could be a monster. RP is definitely going to be a monster and Romeo is already a monster lol. Clean up a few things and sink some free throws fellas. It's going to be a fun season. Even if we miss on some recruits we have some great teams ahead of us.

1 minute ago, IowaHoosierFan said:

I really only want them to figure out how to shoot a free throw.  It amazes me how bad we are so far.

The FT shooting just amazes me.  Were we ever this bad under Crean or Davis?  I know we were excellent under RMK.  I was never a good basketball player but I could shoot 20 and make at least 18 everytime at their age.  It just can't happen in the big games.  I still have nightmares of Deron going 0-4 down the stretch against Duke and costing us a very winnable game.

10 hours ago, IowaHoosierFan said:

I really only want them to figure out how to shoot a free throw.  It amazes me how bad we are so far.

Take out Romeo and Deron and the team shot 70% from the line. Those two should spend twice as much time than the rest on FT practice.  But more practice is never bad for anyone. 

1 minute ago, dbmhoosier said:

The FT shooting just amazes me.  Were we ever this bad under Crean or Davis?  I know we were excellent under RMK.  I was never a good basketball player but I could shoot 20 and make at least 18 everytime at their age.  It just can't happen in the big games.  I still have nightmares of Deron going 0-4 down the stretch against Duke and costing us a very winnable game.

Didnt RMK stop play in practice to simulate in game free throw scenarios?  If CAM doesnt do this it cant hurt. 

Trying not to get too excited about a win over such a bad team, but I’m feeling pretty good right now.  Not enough minutes for every player on this team.  Anderson and Forrester have looked like very solid roleplayers thus far, and it’s hard to see them getting much playing time once Durham, Hunter, and Thompson get healthy.  Really excited about the freshmen this year.  Like someone said above, they’re going to be good for a long time. 

Also, YGTMYFT

Initial overreactions from the first game.

- Langford is a pretty good player 😀. Just effortless and off the charts talent

- Phinisee is this teams point guard. At some point in his career he might be the best player in the Big Ten

- Smith looks about the same to me, just more comfortable

- Green looks the same to me. Hit some tough shots, made so,e bonehead plays. He’s better off the ball

- Damezi has a role on this team. I really like him and his shooting will help

- Love Fitz, his shooting and experience is going to be huge. A little worried about his strength and athleticism against the heart of the Big Ten

- McRoberts is McRoberts. I love him and while he didn’t shoot more, he looked way more confident in the shots he took. 

- Morgan is Morgan. He’s the horse and the leader. Not much else to say

As many of you have commented.... this is a deep, deep team.  Something we have not been used to at IU in the recent past, nor perhaps ever before.  A testimony to Archie as a recruiter.  Now.... when Archie first came to IU... he said he did not prefer to go deep into his bench. But... I ask... Archie... when you have a team this deep, that YOU have helped to build.... how can you NOT go deep ?  Beyond the 8 you first said you liked going deep,  before coming to IU ?  You created this. Now it is time to reap what you have sown. Take advantage of that.  Mix and match the season long. I loved how you did that tonight.  Depending upon what is facing your team, going forward. Continue to mix and match.It can't but help to throw the other teams off as they prepare to play IU.  A very talented team all the way to the end of the bench, needs to help you all the way to the NCAAT.   And just think, we still had some who are very capable, not even get into the game due to nagging injuries.  Get past that.... and the sky is the limit. 

I really loved Phinisee’s game tonight and the energy he played with.  Fitzner is going to be a huge asset the entire season. Romeo is one of the smoothest players I can remember watching. It really looks effortless for him at times. In regards to the free throw shooting, what does a coach do to improve if this continues? This goes back to last year. Is it coaching or just the player struggling mentally?

2 hours ago, Hoosierhoopster said:

I think McBob led the plus/minus again, and ended up with 7 boards to go with 6 points.

Upon closer inspection, he was +36 in 18 minutes.  How ridiculous is that?

Next closest by ratio was Davis with +22 in 12 minutes, then Fitz with +23 in 16 minutes.

Early game against a cupcake.  Much to be happy about.  As everyone else has mentioned, need to clean up the free throws.

Archived