Chicago State Postgame Thread

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply
10 minutes ago, Bob said:

I hope they can clean up the free throw thing! That will catch up to us if we don’t! Teams will foul DeRon instead of letting him score buckets around the basket.

Let's not forget that De'Ron was a 76% free throw shooter his freshman year at IU.

Gotta admit, last year shooting .500 was not great.

However, should teams concentrate on fouling De'Ron, I see good coming of that.  First, run the foul count up. Get IU to the bonus and jeopardize your  own players, by doing that.  Plus, I do expect De'Ron to get back to the form not only his freshman year, but all the years I followed him in high school.  It's mental.  Once he gets over that, teams won't want to foul him. 

14 hours ago, IU Scott said:

Well maybe they should go back to some old school stuff since it use to work.  Also I wasn't really talking about you not knowing the game but the nerds that came up with all of these made up stats.  These games are played by human beings and watched by humans so I don't need a computer to tell me what is important and what is not.

I couldn't agree with where you're coming from more!  I'll just go ahead and lay it out to give others more insight as to why, although should probably be in bed instead of trying to expand on some point about basketball while this worn out. Lol 

Free throws are always going to be an integral part of a winning game plan whether anyone chooses to deny their part or not . Anyone who denies their importance conjures my thoughts of the rather large crowd that seems to believe barrages of dunks and 3 pointers are more important than playing good sound offense and taking the best available shot. FTs from an offensive standpoint will always hold the top spot as "best available shot" over making lay-ups unless they start letting someone guard the FT shooter ;)  Just the way it's always been and no trend or opinion is ever going to change that fact.

Argument is pretty much moot.   

Now to expand on this:

There are generally 3 key ways to put FT's to a teams advantage, but there almost has to be one of the following FT strategies or else someone is going to come along who does and they will win more often than not when all other things line up near equal.

The most obvious is of course making them.   especially in clutch situations.. 

Then there is a strategic use of creating and exploiting physical mismatches to draw fouls at a higher degree.. -  (Volume to offset percentage)

Finally there is  the general strategy of sound fundamental defense to avoid fouling .

However, neither of the latter two strategies will ever involve less in game effort than making a wide open look, so not making them forces more energy expenditure.Fatigue comes back to beat many a team that used too much energy it could have saved making the easiest look inn the sport...So for anyone to think anything else is more critical than making the most uncontested shot in the game is outright foolish. Period. 

If a team isn't making them, they should always focus on practicing them,. That being said,, sometimes the more practical fix for a team that just isn't making them is one of the other two approaches to mitigate less than ideal percentages. IU  (or any team for that matter) has to figure out how to use at least some combination of those things, and obviously you win a lot more  games if your team can check all of the above boxes. 

The sad thing about the "evolution" of the sport is that some of the more basic keys to victory become a lost art until someone else figures out how to do it at a high level. Think of any concept that has fallen out of favor from the peak of the fundamental  based era- for example: the art of utilizing a true Center- and one will often find many things that are staples of good fundamental basketball that have been discarded  because someone came along and pulled a LeBron or a Steph Curry out of their behinds once in a blue moon.   It's not a stretch to suggest that following the trends is how the gap closed internationally, so why wouldn't it be nationally as welll? 

Making FT's is simply one piece of the means to overcome a talent gap when put against the bigger picture . it fits in somewhere no matter who it might be popular or unpopular with.

This is my final little bit of experience with shooting free throws. If you are a poor free throw shooter...you are probably going to be a poor jump shooter. Free throw shooting is the simplest most basic shot in basketball. It's about touch and repetition. If you aren't practicing enough reps to be good at shooting free throws I can almost (almost) guarantee you aren't going to be consistent jump shooter. If you practice free throws the right way...you should be able to transition that repetition and form to improving your jump shot as well. I understand sometimes it's a mental thing...but to me if you want to be a good quality consistent shooter from the field (outside 15 feet) you should first be able to establish the habits of shooting a high percentage at the free throw line. Just my 2 cents...I'm not a shooting coach or anything....but I can still walk up to a free throw line and hit 8 out 10 with no problem...and while my knees are pretty shot I also can still hit easily hit over 40% of my threes too....at least for the first hour of pick up games...until my legs are shot lol. I just think that kids are being taught that the 3 is so important they aren't getting proper direction on how to shoot fundamentally first....and I think if you spent enough time teaching them that...shooting 3's would come much easier to them....but people want the instant gratification. Anyways....free throws....for a team that might struggle to score and who is defensive minded...it's going to be important...especially because I can't stand an empty possession by missing front end of one and ones...and for closing out games.....gotta shoot them!

On 11/7/2018 at 7:15 PM, milehiiu said:

I do expect De'Ron to get back to the form not only his freshman year, but all the years I followed him in high school.  It's mental.  Once he gets over that, teams won't want to foul him. 

I hope so. I think we need him in the middle.

Archived