Brian Evans

Was a time when kids growing up in Indiana actually dreamed of playing in state. Either for IU. Or heaven forbid, PU.  They wanted to stay in state and make themselves, their friends, and their families proud of wearing the Black and Gold, or the Cream and Crimson.  I recall, playing street BB, on a winter day. After shoveling the snow off our "court", and imagining myself in an IU uni, while my next door neighbor was playing for PU.

Brian was/is a throwback to those days.

Great link, Snowden.  And thanks so much for it.

1 hour ago, milehiiu said:

Was a time when kids growing up in Indiana actually dreamed of playing in state. Either for IU. Or heaven forbid, PU.  They wanted to stay in state and make themselves, their friends, and their families proud of wearing the Black and Gold, or the Cream and Crimson.  I recall, playing street BB, on a winter day. After shoveling the snow off our "court", and imagining myself in an IU uni, while my next door neighbor was playing for PU.

Brian Evans was who I looked up to the most growing up.  Maybe my most favorite player next to Bailey or Cheney, but really I love all those guys on those early to mid 90's teams.  Got to meet and spend time with a few of them.

Growing up, my dream was to play for IU and RMK. There was no other option. Of course I was not good enough.  The thing  I cant get used to is, IU not being a destination.  I think Archie can bring it back some but I dont think it will be like it used to be where it was IU or bust.  

My list, granted I’m 31 and haven’t watched Buckner, Thomas, Alford etc., but my list is Evans, AJ Guyton, Luke Recker, Zeller, Oladipo, and Yogi.

Like I said I haven’t watched the greats probably, but in the above order is IU basketball to me. I remember being really little and my dad gets back from going out to IU and thinking Evans’ flat top was legit!

Evans was a good example of how much a guy can improve if he stays with a program.  I miss seeing guys develop like he did.  

I remember RMK getting ejected one game and one of his assistants (maybe Bliss or Felling) handled the post-game interview.  He bragged on Evans' progress and said something like, "Here's this flop-eared kid..."  

Flop-eared FTW.

I remember as a little kid in the early 90s when Evans was at IU after every home game, my dad or grandpa and I would go down after the game where the players exit the building and Brian Evans would always spend time to stop and talk to us and take a photo with me and even dribble a ball back and forth.  Something I will always remember and I am 28 now.  Favorite IU player of all time

Brian Evans was a claim to fame at IU because he came to a few of our parties.  Friend of a friend type of thing.  It would create a minor buzz in the room when he came.  I remember one time someone called home to tell their parents "Brian Evans is here!".  He was just a nice guy that wanted to have a beer.  I remember one time it was jut me and him at the keg alone and I froze up and couldn't come up with a word!!!!  I guess I am better at writing about it.

1 hour ago, The Daily Hoosier said:

Brian Evans was a claim to fame at IU because he came to a few of our parties.  Friend of a friend type of thing.  It would create a minor buzz in the room when he came.  I remember one time someone called home to tell their parents "Brian Evans is here!".  He was just a nice guy that wanted to have a beer.  I remember one time it was jut me and him at the keg alone and I froze up and couldn't come up with a word!!!!  I guess I am better at writing about it.

Funny stuff on freezing up. It happens. I was neighbors with Calbert in the Villas for one year (his last) and I still panicked each time I said hey. My senior year our friends were very tight with Wilkerson. Still took me about 2-3 months getting used to an IU basketball player being at our place all the time for parties or just hanging out. 

Good memories!

1 hour ago, Seeking6 said:

Funny stuff on freezing up. It happens. I was neighbors with Calbert in the Villas for one year (his last) and I still panicked each time I said hey. My senior year our friends were very tight with Wilkerson. Still took me about 2-3 months getting used to an IU basketball player being at our place all the time for parties or just hanging out. 

Good memories!

Never really new a famous person but the closest I come was a former anchor on channel 8 went to my church.

I met Brittney Spears! :/ 😂 

seriously tho, when I was young I had watched the development of a few players later in their careers like Henderson, Evans and others, And being younger and not much in the line of comparison I sort of thought most players progressed like that through their careers because most Big D1 players just are competitive enough by nature to want to put the work in.

Imagine how I felt when we signed a class of Neil Reed, Charlie Miller and the big bust man himself from Abeline, Texas Mr. Andre Patterson, and even someone like Jason Collier all fizzle out to not much of anything. Hard work is NOT a given, but Brian Evans "got it."

I remember reading an article after Charlie Miller graduated where him and patterson even admitted they didn't hold each other accountable to work hard. It makes it a lot easier to root for the Victor's of the world when you always hear how hard guys like that WORK.

On 11/8/2018 at 9:45 PM, FKIM01 said:

Loved Brian Evans as a player.  Dude was just tough as nails...I remember him popping his shoulder back in by himself and staying in the game.

Knight was lucky the other guys he was recruiting in front of Evans went elsewhere.

Agreed. Brian Evans is perhaps one of the most underrated Hoosier ever. So tough he was and got the absolute most out of his limited athleticism I think I’ve ever seen. I telling you a guy like senior Brian Evans on this team this year and we would be championship contenders. 

On 11/8/2018 at 9:20 PM, milehiiu said:

Yeah from a little kid who ruined many a white t-shirt using markers to turn it into an IU jersey and playing nerf ball in the house to mom yelling at me in the middle of winter when I was outside playing in my favorite Calbert Cheaney #40 replica that was my favorite Christmas gift of all time like in 8th grade. I mean I even recorded the fight song and would play it pretending to come out to the layup line before my imaginary games. I think we all identify with growing up dreaming of playing for the Hoosiers.

11 minutes ago, dgambill said:

Agreed. Brian Evans is perhaps one of the most underrated Hoosier ever. So tough he was and got the absolute most out of his limited athleticism I think I’ve ever seen. I telling you a guy like senior Brian Evans on this team this year and we would be championship contenders. 

Yeah from a little kid who ruined many a white t-shirt using markers to turn it into an IU jersey and playing nerf ball in the house to mom yelling at me in the middle of winter when I was outside playing in my favorite Calbert Cheaney #40 replica that was my favorite Christmas gift of all time like in 8th grade. I mean I even recorded the fight song and would play it pretending to come out to the layup line before my imaginary games. I think we all identify with growing up dreaming of playing for the Hoosiers.

Love that story about #40.  You and I were kindred, in our love of our Hoosiers.  Thanks for sharing that story. I have enjoyed it, and can very much relate to it. Nothing like playing for IU in one's dreams, in the middle of winter ..... outside.  Oh, how I can relate.

16 minutes ago, dgambill said:

So im not the only one. I too played outside in the winter in a #40 jersey.

I dont know how many last second championship shots I took for IU growing up.  

11 minutes ago, mrflynn03 said:

So im not the only one. I too played outside in the winter in a #40 jersey.

I dont know how many last second championship shots I took for IU growing up.  

I knew it. I was not the only one, as a kid growing up, who envisioned them selves as a Hoosier, while playing BB outside. 

On 11/8/2018 at 9:45 PM, FKIM01 said:

Loved Brian Evans as a player.  Dude was just tough as nails...I remember him popping his shoulder back in by himself and staying in the game.

Knight was lucky the other guys he was recruiting in front of Evans went elsewhere.

Who was RMK recruiting in front of Evans?

53 minutes ago, BDB said:

Who was RMK recruiting in front of Evans?

Can't say that I remember exactly who, but what I DO remember is that Evans wasn't even plan B.  Bob's assistants had to convince him that Evans was worthy of an offer.

I'll bet Evans remembers, though...

Archived