Bobby Petrino Fired

KDB

• Replies 183
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, BeerBQ said:

Any source or just a feeling?

I think they go all in on him as their first choice, but I don't know if he goes.

Just a feeling.  I've browsed the internet a bit today, and it seems like rumors are all over the place.  From "a deal has already been done" to "no contact between the two sides" and everything in between.  It just seems like it makes too much sense for him to pass up.

I'd have to think that it would have been extremely unlikely for Louisville to make this move at this time in the season if they didn't already have at least a very strong indication that Brohm would be their next coach.  

It seems that nobody associated with that university has even spoken seriously about ANY other possible candidates, so I read the situation as this: they fired Petrino as soon as they were sure they could get Brohm.  Whether that means a deal has been made or not isn't clear, but at this point, it's probably more likely that he will be Louisville's and not Purdue's coach next year.

At the money he's making now, and with the money UL might offer, I'm not sure Purdue could offer anything to get him to stay, even if their offer was higher than UL.  If it were me, and I could go home to my alma mater and make $5 million per year or stay in West Lafayette and make $6 million per year, I have to tell you, it wouldn't be a hard decision.

On a tangent, this is why I want to see IU give Allen some time to build the program and not make knee jerk reactions in season two like some fans seem to want.  If IU hires someone like Brohm, we might have success for a season or two, but we'd have to start all over again as we are definitely not a destination job for football, and it's a gamble whether we could consistently identify and hire good up and coming coaches.  I'd rather give someone who wants to be HERE a chance to build the program.

17 minutes ago, rogue3542 said:

I'd have to think that it would have been extremely unlikely for Louisville to make this move at this time in the season if they didn't already have at least a very strong indication that Brohm would be their next coach.  

It seems that nobody associated with that university has even spoken seriously about ANY other possible candidates, so I read the situation as this: they fired Petrino as soon as they were sure they could get Brohm.  Whether that means a deal has been made or not isn't clear, but at this point, it's probably more likely that he will be Louisville's and not Purdue's coach next year.

At the money he's making now, and with the money UL might offer, I'm not sure Purdue could offer anything to get him to stay, even if their offer was higher than UL.  If it were me, and I could go home to my alma mater and make $5 million per year or stay in West Lafayette and make $6 million per year, I have to tell you, it wouldn't be a hard decision.

On a tangent, this is why I want to see IU give Allen some time to build the program and not make knee jerk reactions in season two like some fans seem to want.  If IU hires someone like Brohm, we might have success for a season or two, but we'd have to start all over again as we are definitely not a destination job for football, and it's a gamble whether we could consistently identify and hire good up and coming coaches.  I'd rather give someone who wants to be HERE a chance to build the program.

This.

40 minutes ago, rogue3542 said:

I've never understood why our fans think like this. You'd rather be mediocre, keep the coach, and stay mediocre, then be successful and possibly lose the coach because we were good? A coach isn't leaving for greener pastures unless he does something big, like beat OSU or Michigan, and completely rejuvenate the program and get people interested again, like Brohm has done.

"Build the program" is just a line that gets thrown out for weak coaches, like Allen, who are in over their heads and providing more questions than answers. Good coaches don't need to "build the program" over five years like we gave Wilson, they just win.

Personally, I'd rather win and actually inject some excitement into this lifeless program than stay in neutral with someone who "wants to be here."

3 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

I'll echo rogue's thoughts. I have a hard time believing Louisville would make this move unless they knew they had a good chance at landing their guy. Unless their university is dumber than I thought. 

Thing people forget about is there are other guys out there that have Louisville/Kentucky ties.  Charlie Strong?  Neal Brown?

On a side note, I'm getting a kick out of some comments I've read from Purdue fans. You can tell they're new to this whole "we might lose our coach" ordeal. They just got a commitment from a wide receiver this weekend (from Louisville, no less), and apparently this is a sign that Brohm must be staying, because a recruit wouldn't commit there if Brohm wasn't going to be around. Except, you know, signing day isn't until February, and the recruit could just follow him to his next job because recruits aren't signed yet. Another one pointed to their incoming class and said even if Brohm leaves, he's leaving them a really good class for the next coach. Again...those players aren't signed. There's a better chance they'd follow him to his next job than go to Purdue and play for a coach who didn't recruit them. When P.J. Fleck left Western Michigan, they had six recruits drop them the next day.

Football recruiting is an unforgiving battlefield of betrayal and disloyalty.

26 minutes ago, rico said:

Thing people forget about is there are other guys out there that have Louisville/Kentucky ties.  Charlie Strong?  Neal Brown?

Charlie will never be invited back. Having an affair with one of Louisville's biggest donors wife isn't a good way to get a second chance.

41 minutes ago, TheWatShot said:

On a side note, I'm getting a kick out of some comments I've read from Purdue fans. You can tell they're new to this whole "we might lose our coach" ordeal. They just got a commitment from a wide receiver this weekend (from Louisville, no less), and apparently this is a sign that Brohm must be staying, because a recruit wouldn't commit there if Brohm wasn't going to be around. Except, you know, signing day isn't until February, and the recruit could just follow him to his next job because recruits aren't signed yet. Another one pointed to their incoming class and said even if Brohm leaves, he's leaving them a really good class for the next coach. Again...those players aren't signed. There's a better chance they'd follow him to his next job than go to Purdue and play for a coach who didn't recruit them. When P.J. Fleck left Western Michigan, they had six recruits drop them the next day.

Recruits in these situations usually fall into 3 groups:

1. I'm opening things back up. There's a good chance I follow the guy that recruited me. 

2. I'll wait and see who the new hire is and take the time to meet them. 

3. I committed to PU and I'm playing at PU. 

Its td tough to tell where each individual will fall. 

Aside from money, Brohm is building the Purdue program regardless of the loss to Minny.  He has a pretty good gig in West Lafayette.  It appears the situation in the 'Ville is a dumpster fire.  Why leave?  It appears to me he has it pretty good right where he is at.  He might be on the phone with Scott Frost right now.

28 minutes ago, rico said:

Aside from money, Brohm is building the Purdue program regardless of the loss to Minny.  He has a pretty good gig in West Lafayette.  It appears the situation in the 'Ville is a dumpster fire.  Why leave?  It appears to me he has it pretty good right where he is at.  He might be on the phone with Scott Frost right now.

Good coaches don't back down from challenges, they embrace them. Purdue was a dumpster fire when he accepted that job.

2 hours ago, TheWatShot said:

The recent commitment is signing in December so if Purdue makes a bowl game, the game would likely occur after the early signing period has concluded. We’ll know before too long what happens. 

11 hours ago, TheWatShot said:

I've never understood why our fans think like this. You'd rather be mediocre, keep the coach, and stay mediocre, then be successful and possibly lose the coach because we were good? A coach isn't leaving for greener pastures unless he does something big, like beat OSU or Michigan, and completely rejuvenate the program and get people interested again, like Brohm has done.

"Build the program" is just a line that gets thrown out for weak coaches, like Allen, who are in over their heads and providing more questions than answers. Good coaches don't need to "build the program" over five years like we gave Wilson, they just win.

Personally, I'd rather win and actually inject some excitement into this lifeless program than stay in neutral with someone who "wants to be here."

Who said I'd rather be mediocre?  I'm just patient enough to realize nobody is coming in here and changing it overnight. NOBODY, not even Nick Saban is going to change IU football overnight.

The difference is that I don't believe IU will stay mediocre with Allen.  If we go the Brohm route, we have to continually get lucky, and we will never have program momentum.  All it takes is making one wrong hire after someone leaves, and there's no base, no recruiting, no consistency, and the whole thing comes crashing down.

I'd rather give Allen a chance to prove whether he can take us to the next step of SUSTAINED success, not a flashy 7-8 win season.

Purdue was filling the stands less than a decade ago.  Purdue can bring back fan support with one good season.  It's going to take IU SEVERAL seasons of sustained 7-8 win seasons before the program is "rejuvenated."

I'm gonna laugh when Brohm turns it down and stays at Purdue. IU deserves what it gets with the way our administration cares (or doesn't care) about football. It would serve us right to pass on a coach we could've had and then proceed to routinely get our ass beat for the next decade by him. I'd say there's as good a chance he stays at Purdue then leaves. Maybe better

1 hour ago, hoosier8760 said:

I'm gonna laugh when Brohm turns it down and stays at Purdue. IU deserves what it gets with the way our administration cares (or doesn't care) about football. It would serve us right to pass on a coach we could've had and then proceed to routinely get our ass beat for the next decade by him. I'd say there's as good a chance he stays at Purdue then leaves. Maybe better

My gut tells me he stays...but I have been wrong many of times.

Archived