Bobby Petrino Fired

KDB

2 hours ago, 5 championships said:

Congrats on becoming a football school. Not sure about you but I’d rather be better at basketball and your bball team isn’t going anywhere with Painter. 

I’d rather be better at football as football is the king of the entire athletic department. Not sure I agree re Painter though. 

• Replies 183
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 hours ago, 5 championships said:

Congrats on becoming a football school. Not sure about you but I’d rather be better at basketball and your bball team isn’t going anywhere with Painter. 

If they told me that if IU could just have one either basketball or football I would chose basketball every time.

5 hours ago, Stlboiler23 said:

I’d rather be better at football as football is the king of the entire athletic department. Not sure I agree re Painter though. 

Not to poop on your parade because I think he is a good coach, but you guys haven't done much yet. OSU was a great win, Minny was a blowout. You barely beat IU. I firmly believe you will continue to beat IU, but that's not saying much. Neither is the west, so you might win that too. But until you start playing for and winning league championships, you can't call yourself a football school (again). When Brees and Orton were there all I ever heard was PU was a football school, who cares about basketball. They go 7-5 and their a football school again? Good grief. Going to the annual toilet bowl isn't a huge deal. In Indiana (and on an IU board) basketball is king. But I don't begrudge PU spending money on football, but I personally would take a bb championship over a football any day of the week. Football helps obviously, but TV pays the bills these days, ask the Pac12. 

5 hours ago, Stlboiler23 said:

Brohm should do big things with you guys in the West but If you think painter in year what like 12?? is going to take you guys past sweet sixteen let alone a final four than I guess my friend all I gotta say is stay off the weeeeeeed (in my best Stephen A. Smith voice) 

17 minutes ago, OGIUAndy said:

Not to poop on your parade because I think he is a good coach, but you guys haven't done much yet. OSU was a great win, Minny was a blow out. You barely beat IU. I firmly believe you will continue to beat IU, but that's not saying much. Neither is the west, so you might win that too. But until you start playing for and winning league championships, you can't call yourself a football school (again). When Brees and Orton were there all I ever heard was PU was a football school, who cares about basketball. They go 7-5 and their a football school again? Good grief. Going to the annual toilet bowl isn't a huge deal. In Indiana (and on an IU board) basketball is king. But I don't begrudge PU spending money on football, but I personally would take a bb championship over a football any day of the week. Football helps obviously, but TV pays the bills these days, ask the Pac12. 

I never called Purdue a football school. I said if I had to pick, I’d rather be a football school over a basketball school. 

I agree that overall, the record isn’t great. But back to back bowl games with the inferior talent Brohm inherited is impressive. Most of the guys he inherited only had one P5 offers and that offer was from Purdue. With a top 25 class coming in this year, the talent infusion will be significant. If he can win at least 6 games with inferior talent, what does that say about how good he can be with legit talent?

I love football but it would't surprise me if it loses is position as the top sport some time in the distant future.  The concussion/CTE issues have started its demise.  A lot fewer participants in the past few years in the CYO ranks in Indianapolis.  Might be better to be a soccer/basketball school.  

17 minutes ago, Dr. Jones said:

I love football but it would't surprise me if it loses is position as the top sport some time in the distant future.  The concussion/CTE issues have started its demise.  A lot fewer participants in the past few years in the CYO ranks in Indianapolis.  Might be better to be a soccer/basketball school.  

At the college level, it is the biggest "cash cow".

10 hours ago, Dr. Jones said:

This. My kids aren't school age yet, but I hear stories from my friends with kids in elementary/middle school about youth coaches practically begging people to let their sons play. And U;n also in the Indy metro area where there are lots, and lots of kids who could play. If kids aren't entering the sport in their youth, it will eventually dry up. It will probably take a long time for that to happen but I think that's a realistic possibility.

I think an interesting question is what replaces it if that does happen. If football loses popularity it will create a huge space for another sport. I don't think soccer will ever be popular enough itself to take that spot. Maybe baseball reclaims the America's Pass Time title.

22 minutes ago, Cottage Grove said:

This. My kids aren't school age yet, but I hear stories from my friends with kids in elementary/middle school about youth coaches practically begging people to let their sons play. And U;n also in the Indy metro area where there are lots, and lots of kids who could play. If kids aren't entering the sport in their youth, it will eventually dry up. It will probably take a long time for that to happen but I think that's a realistic possibility.

I think an interesting question is what replaces it if that does happen. If football loses popularity it will create a huge space for another sport. I don't think soccer will ever be popular enough itself to take that spot. Maybe baseball reclaims the America's Pass Time title.

Soccer is very popular.  

6 minutes ago, Cottage Grove said:

I don't disagree with that. I enjoy soccer quite a bit myself. I don't think it would take football's place in terms of being the most popular sport in the country. Just a guess on my part, of course, though.

But it is a fall sport.  

21 minutes ago, rico said:

But it is a fall sport.  

I don't know that that would guarantee that the vast majority of people who would normally watch football would just flip over to it though. There are already trends of younger people being less interested in sitting down for a Saturday/Sunday afternoon to go to or watch a game. They might just do something entirely different than watch a sport in the fall. Football also overlaps a lot with basketball, hockey, and baseball. Those three could just move more into Saturday/Sunday afternoons. I don't think there are any guarantees in any direction.

15 hours ago, Stlboiler23 said:

I never called Purdue a football school. I said if I had to pick, I’d rather be a football school over a basketball school. 

I agree that overall, the record isn’t great. But back to back bowl games with the inferior talent Brohm inherited is impressive. Most of the guys he inherited only had one P5 offers and that offer was from Purdue. With a top 25 class coming in this year, the talent infusion will be significant. If he can win at least 6 games with inferior talent, what does that say about how good he can be with legit talent?

You could say the same thing about Indiana though. IU was extremely young and Wilson's last couple of recruiting classes and issues left the cupboard pretty bare for Allen (who shouldn't be a HC imho). And we have the best recruiting class we've had in a while. Not saying that PU won't be much better (once again not saying much) and that Brohm isn't a good coach (he is) but I don't think PU will ever be a football school anymore than they were previously under Tiller, no matter who the president is. I do think it's interesting you'd rather PU be a football school vs. basketball school. Wouldn't you like to see a more high profile bb coach take over the reigns? Painter has a ceiling and it's most likely been reached. PU supposedly has had their best teams ever recently and not done a lot of damage. 

Those schools that say that they are basketball schools first by and large put less resources in their football programs and it shows with the poor product most often put on the field. Think IU, Kansas, UK for the most part, Arizona, Duke. “We are a basketball school “ is code for “we know we suck in football, and always will.”

Football moves the needle in the national media.

Conference realignments were all because of football.

Do a search for the most valuable college athletic programs....at least the first 15 on the list are first and foremost “football schools.”

Maybe in some parts of the country football is giving way to soccer and other sports due to safety concerns. However, in the football hotbeds... where all major programs recruit, football is as popular as it has ever been. 

Football will always be the major contributor to successful athletic department’s budgets

46 minutes ago, Cottage Grove said:

I don't know that that would guarantee that the vast majority of people who would normally watch football would just flip over to it though. There are already trends of younger people being less interested in sitting down for a Saturday/Sunday afternoon to go to or watch a game. They might just do something entirely different than watch a sport in the fall. Football also overlaps a lot with basketball, hockey, and baseball. Those three could just move more into Saturday/Sunday afternoons. I don't think there are any guarantees in any direction.

In college saturday was college game day all day. Anymore its hard to watch a game when it is 4+ hours long. Could be part of why people are choosing other things.

1 hour ago, OGIUAndy said:

You could say the same thing about Indiana though. IU was extremely young and Wilson's last couple of recruiting classes and issues left the cupboard pretty bare for Allen (who shouldn't be a HC imho). And we have the best recruiting class we've had in a while. Not saying that PU won't be much better (once again not saying much) and that Brohm isn't a good coach (he is) but I don't think PU will ever be a football school anymore than they were previously under Tiller, no matter who the president is. I do think it's interesting you'd rather PU be a football school vs. basketball school. Wouldn't you like to see a more high profile bb coach take over the reigns? Painter has a ceiling and it's most likely been reached. PU supposedly has had their best teams ever recently and not done a lot of damage. 

Not sure how you can compare the talent Brohm inherited to the talent Allen inherited.  Brohm inherited 4 years in a row of the worst recruiting class in the conference and the majority of the recruits he inherited weren't even P5-level players.  If Wilson left the cupboard pretty bare for Wilson, Hazell left a scorched earth scenario for Brohm.  I don't think the scenarios are comparable really.  I respect your opinion that you don't think Purdue will ever be a football school more than what they were during the Tiller era but I respectfully disagree.  First off, that was a really good run Tiller had and I would be happy with that happening again.  Think about it for a second though... Purdue is investing in their football program like they never have before.  Competitive salary for their HC, significant salary pool for assistants, already started on upgrades with the $65 million performance center and the updates to the stadium aren't too far behind.  I think they have a lot of untapped potential now that they are fully committed to investing in the football program.

3 hours ago, rico said:

Soccer is very popular.  

Actually soccer is pretty dangerous sport to play as well and they have a lot of concussions.  My nephew play in high school and he busted his head wide open when he went up to hit the ball with his head and collided with an opponent.

6 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

Actually soccer is pretty dangerous sport to play as well and they have a lot of concussions.  My nephew play in high school and he busted his head wide open when he went up to hit the ball with his head and collided with an opponent.

Never said it wasn't dangerous, same could be said for hockey and baseball.

2 minutes ago, Steubenhoosier said:

I have been curling in Ft. Wayne since the club opened in 2010. In that time, we have had numerous people slip and fall on the ice, hit their heads, and suffer a concussion.

Pretty much any sport has some degree of danger.

I was icefishing years ago on the Huntington Reservoir property.  A guy came out with his wife.  She slipped and fell...knocked her out, blood everywhere.  Called the EMS, she ended up getting airlifted to Fort Wayne.  All because of fishing.  Ice is dangerous.

Archived