Marquette Pregame Thread

rbkl

Indiana has opened up with couple of solid wins with +49 and +45 scoring margins respectively. 

Now the pair of tests that could propel Indiana to Top 25 contention:

• 11/14 vs Marquette
  • 11/18 @ Arkansas

I know it's a bit early, but I am just too excited for this match up against (once Indiana recruiting target) Markus Howard and Marquette. A pair of Top 30 Kenpom teams.

• Replies 160
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, IUAlum2011 said:

It is early, but never too early. Great article!

I hate being optimistic about these games but I think IU cruises away easily with this one. Games at Assembly Hall are unfair for visitors.

IU wins by 10

I totally agree, but, and maybe its because of the actual competition and situations of our first two games, but the place needs to step it up about tenfold. It's not been what it should and can be.

At least, not from what I have seen on the television and what I am accustomed to.

Just now, zerawkid said:

I totally agree, but, and maybe its because of the actual competition and situations of our first two games, but the place needs to step it up about tenfold. It's not been what it should and can be.

At least, not from what I have seen on the television and what I am accustomed to.

Oh for sure. It was pretty quiet the first two games.

These two games were nothing compared to IU during the Zeller/Oladipo era, but I think an exciting game will make the crowd get into it again.

1 minute ago, IUAlum2011 said:

These two games were nothing compared to IU during the Zeller/Oladipo era, but I think an exciting game will make the crowd get into it again.

They all will, for sure. They have to really buy the product, and it'll be impossible not to. This team is gonna be really good and very exciting to watch, methinks.

40 minutes ago, IUAlum2011 said:

Oh man. You must be a young one.

AH in the mid-70’s.

AH in the early 80’s.

Couldn’t find a ticket.

Couldn’t hear yourself think 

7 minutes ago, Steubenhoosier said:

AH in the mid-70’s.

AH in the early 80’s.

Couldn’t find a ticket.

I believe it, hope it becomes that again sometime soon. Def not old enough to have experienced those glory days.

24 minutes ago, Steubenhoosier said:

AH in the mid-70’s.

AH in the early 80’s.

Couldn’t find a ticket.

I'm sure that is true but I highly doubt AH has ever been as loud as it was during the Watshot or when Marco threw down the dunk against Duke in 2005.  We've certainly had our moments in the past 20 years.  But I do think interest in slipping a bit and that we need to win and win soon.

27 minutes ago, Steubenhoosier said:

AH in the mid-70’s.

AH in the early 80’s.

Couldn’t find a ticket.

Was a time when they measured and reported the decibel levels in AH.  You are right.  Need to get back to those times.... even with the addition of the spirit of '76 club seats on the South end of AH, which I am sure has altered the sound level in AH.

14 minutes ago, dbmhoosier said:

I'm sure that is true but I highly doubt AH has ever been as loud as it was during the Watshot or when Marco threw down the dunk against Duke in 2005.  We've certainly had our moments in the past 20 years.  But I do think interest in slipping a bit and that we need to win and win soon.

Benson laying in the last second shot vs Michigan to keep the undefeated season intact was definitely up there.

The Knight chair toss game was crazy 

Losing vs Ohio State and Jim Jackson.

All games where my ears were ringing and I couldn’t hear anything 

25 minutes ago, dbmhoosier said:

I don't think that interest has changed.  I know for this IU fan, who can't attend games, interest has never been higher. In fact, Crean's first two years were some of the most memorial years for me, in recent memory. Talent was lacking. But not the heart.  What I believe is that times do change.  Was a time when I was a student, I preferred to watch the games in the "new" gym, rather than channel 4.  Besides, not having a tv in my dorm room, or or apartment as a Senior.  Today, students have tv's in their rooms and apartments, and access to the B1G network.  And if they plan on drinking while watching a game, it is a smart decision, not to drive. Or just to stay in their room to watch the game. Not that I condone that, but..... Good for them.  And then there are families. Who would prefer to watch on tv, rather than take their families to AH on a school night.  No, I can understand why AH is not filled to capacity as before.  I just can't buy that interest in our beloved Hoosiers is waning.  Again, for this old IU fanatic, interest has never waned.

And consider the competition for the last two games.  Let's see how loudly AH gets for our next opponent.

I'm both nervous and excited. Nervous because these next two games will tell everyone A LOT, about these boys, their coaches and where they might head this season. But I'm excited because of what I've seen defensively. I haven't seen the type of consistent help and focused team defense in SO long. Plus they're humble and know they have to keep growing.

my gut says we might start slow but once we get rolling we control the game and win by 12 or more.

I think these two games are important, but if something goes South I won't take it as some kind of prediction of our season -- our guys haven't been healthy yet as a group, now McBob is ailing and he's critical for D and a couple timely threes. 

What I am watching for though is more consistent scoring from the arc, hitting our freaking free throws, and looking for that Romeo game. We're going to need the Morgan-Romeo tandem and some good outside shooting to help open things up for Morgan and Smith. I look for those two to really come out in these next two, and for Romeo to settle in, while Rob plays steady point and Green and Fitz bring added shooting.

10 hours ago, rbkl said:

It surely has been a while since I have seen the upper bowls be completely packed. 

If IU wants fans to show up like they used to, they need to start winning, simple. Win and they will show up, nobody wants to spend their Tuesday night watching us get killed by Indiana State, getting owned by Purdue, and finishing .500. 

I suspect IU will turn it around this year and I think Archie is going to be great but people don't want to spend their hard earned money sitting in the nosebleeds and watching a team that can't make the tournament. It's time IU took their rightful spot near the top of college basketball where they have belonged for the past 25 years. No more excuses, it's time.

6 minutes ago, SIHoosier26 said:

If IU wants fans to show up like they used to, they need to start winning, simple. Win and they will show up, nobody wants to spend their Tuesday night watching us get killed by Indiana State, getting owned by Purdue, and finishing .500. 

I suspect IU will turn it around this year and I think Archie is going to be great but people don't want to spend their hard earned money sitting in the nosebleeds and watching a team that can't make the tournament. It's time IU took their rightful spot near the top of college basketball where they have belonged for the past 25 years. No more excuses, it's time.

People also forget that most of students were in diapers the last time IU made the FF.  As Fred said deep tourney runs need to be a regularity and soon.  We can win the B1G every year but if we're always getting thumped in the Sweet 16 no one will care.  I do think the Romeo factor will keep the house packed in big games rhis season though.  I worry about next season if we have another early tourney exit.

11 hours ago, Steubenhoosier said:

Benson laying in the last second shot vs Michigan to keep the undefeated season intact was definitely up there.

The Knight chair toss game was crazy 

Losing vs Ohio State and Jim Jackson.

All games where my ears were ringing and I couldn’t hear anything 

December, 1982......#2 UK at #5 IU.  Remember it like yesterday.  The place was electric.

After doing a brief research into Assembly Hall's noise level.  I found that in 2014 the decibel level consistently hit an average of 115.3 db's.  Putting that into perspective, that is like standing next to a small airplane taking off.  Or.  The EPA requires construction workers to wear ear protection when the decibel level hits 85 db's

Also found this.  Several times during Cody Zeller's freshman year, the decibel level reached 120 db's.

I did not find anything about how the renovation has impacted the noise in Assembly Hall.  But I have to agree with you all, who feel the noise level is down considerably, just due to less fans in the stands these days.  Still.... waiting to see (hear) what happens on Wednesday. 

Archived