Marquette Pregame Thread

rbkl

• Replies 160
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, Drroogh said:

Tonight is going to be an interesting ride of trying to watch at 30K plus feet on an International flight. Hulu Live seems to be blocking all vpn's and I don't think they will accept the location server of GOGO WiFi. Wish me Luck and GO IU!

Games tomorrow. Hopefully that makes it a little easier for you to view. 

34 minutes ago, KoB2011 said:

Games tomorrow. Hopefully that makes it a little easier for you to view. 

Yeah my bad, been a rough night woke up at 1?? and couldn't get back to sleep. Still need to see if GoGo works? Trying to connect and stream in England is going to be a whole nother ball game. The real problem is the return trip I'll probably be somewhere near Iceland when the Arkansas game is on and the return is on an AirFrance plane. I don't think they have any WiFI! ☹️

28 minutes ago, Drroogh said:

Yeah my bad, been a rough night woke up at 1?? and couldn't get back to sleep. Still need to see if GoGo works? Trying to connect and stream in England is going to be a whole nother ball game. The real problem is the return trip I'll probably be somewhere near Iceland when the Arkansas game is on and the return is on an AirFrance plane. I don't think they have any WiFI! ☹️

C'est la vie.

11 hours ago, dgambill said:

If I remember correct Marquette returns a lot of scoring from last year. This is a good quality opponent for us. I expect them to be a tournament team for sure.

I know they do and most basketball fans do but what about the students who look at the name of the program we are playing.

We didn't enjoy it at the time, but there are a lot of interesting aspects to the last meeting between IU and Marquette to look back on now, including a future hall of famer, a future IU coach, and an IU team that didn't appear at the time to be final four caliber.

11 hours ago, ArchieBall13 said:

Very true on the depth Mile, glad we have it at our disposal with all the current injuries. Mcbob, Green and Hunter all guys that will have the most material impact of the injured group, hope they can be on the floor or get back asap. Same as Race. Let's get healthy boys!

Archie mentioned in his Monday radio show that this is his longest team ever. Meaning wingspan of many of his players.

+_______________________________

Rather than start a new post, I'll just throw this in from Wisconsin :

Marquette back in AP top 25 poll at No. 24

1 hour ago, IU Scott said:

I know they do and most basketball fans do but what about the students who look at the name of the program we are playing.

That isn’t saying much about IU fans and students if they don’t believe Marquette to be a marquee team/game.    

That being said, I can give everyone a quick rundown on Marquette.

This years team is going to be very balanced and very deep.  MU is returning all but one player this year.  The lone player leaving is Andrew Rowsey who was the team leading scorer (20.5 ppg) but it was generous to call him 5’10” and his defensive abilities left a lot to be desired…  This is probably a good thing overall (while sad to see his crazy style of play going away) because MU's defense was HORRIBLE last year.  That will be very different this year though... so this tournament cusp/NIT team from last year is going to be a serious contender as the season goes on.

Still on the team is Rowsey's other half in the backcourt last year and pre-season Big East all conference first team player Markus Howard (20.4 ppg last year).  He can knock down the 3’s from anywhere and his defensive game and ball handling are much improved over last year.  In addition, the team’s next best player from last year returns, Sam Hauser.  He’s one of the most efficient players in the country and averaged 14 pts a game last year.  Sacar Anim is a redshirt junior who is probably one of the best defensive players on the team and he’s also a good slasher.  I’d guess he’d be the one assigned the most to Langford.  Final starter returning is center Matt Heldt, he’s an all around solid player and works hard without making many mistakes.. but he won’t blow you away in any area.   He’ll probably be seeing less time in this game than he played last year because Mu has seen some big upgrades down low.

Returning players from the bench include Theo John, Jamal Cain, and Greg Elliot (out for 8-12 weeks with thumb injury).  Jamal is a super athletic wing, he always seems to know where to be and has a crazy smooth three point shot.  Like many of MU’s bench, we don’t really give up much (or anything) when he comes in.  Theo John is a PF who has ridiculous upside that can block shots hard and is aggressive on rebounds.  Last year he didn’t see much playing time because of foul issues but he’s done a lot to clean that up already this year and he’s seeing significant minutes (taken from Heldt).  Watch for him and transfer Ed Morrow (Nebraska) to be bruisers against Morgan. 

New to the team are freshman Brendon Bailey (former 4*) just got back from a 2 year mission trip and is slightly rusty, but he has moments of outstanding play at both ends of the court.

Ed Morrow, previously mentioned transfer, is known for rebounding and defensive ability.  He’ll pair up with Theo John to neutralize Morgan.

Joey Hauser, brother of Sam, is a freshman.  He injured his foot last year during his senior year of high school and ended up coming to Marquette a semester early to take advantage of their top notch sports medicine and physical therapy progams and to get aquainted with the team and system early.  So technically, he’s a redshirt freshman.  More importantly, he was the top player out of Wisconsin last year and in the top 55 nationally.  As good as Sam is, many say he’s even better.

Finally Joseph Chartouny.  He’s a transfer from Fordham.  One of the best in the country in steals last  year.   Unlike Rowsey, who he is replacing, he’s a pass first guard and looks to control the floor more to make things happen.  Admittedly he’s looked kind of rusty and unsure of himself in the move… but should improve as time goes on.  Not sure how he’ll look for the game tomorrow.  At this point I’m guessing you won’t see a ton of minutes out of him.

Like I said earlier, and similar to IU, Marquette is DEEP, tall, and long!  You’ll probably be looking at a 10 man rotation and the level of play will not drop off.  This was going to be quite a battle but I’m wondering now if this is to MU’s advantage now with all of IU’s injuries.  I know they’ll look for Sacar to keep Romeo somewhat in check, and Theo and Ed Morrow to neutralize Morgan… from there I think the MU team has the advantage.   Except ofcourse… for Assembly Hall.   You’re right to hope your fans show up and show up loud to bring the advantage back to IU.    Without that… I think MU wins by 7.    J

12 minutes ago, MU MKE said:

That isn’t saying much about IU fans and students if they don’t believe Marquette to be a marquee team/game.    

That being said, I can give everyone a quick rundown on Marquette.

This years team is going to be very balanced and very deep.  MU is returning all but one player this year.  The lone player leaving is Andrew Rowsey who was the team leading scorer (20.5 ppg) but it was generous to call him 5’10” and his defensive abilities left a lot to be desired…  This is probably a good thing overall (while sad to see his crazy style of play going away) because MU's defense was HORRIBLE last year.  That will be very different this year though... so this tournament cusp/NIT team from last year is going to be a serious contender as the season goes on.

Still on the team is Rowsey's other half in the backcourt last year and pre-season Big East all conference first team player Markus Howard (20.4 ppg last year).  He can knock down the 3’s from anywhere and his defensive game and ball handling are much improved over last year.  In addition, the team’s next best player from last year returns, Sam Hauser.  He’s one of the most efficient players in the country and averaged 14 pts a game last year.  Sacar Anim is a redshirt junior who is probably one of the best defensive players on the team and he’s also a good slasher.  I’d guess he’d be the one assigned the most to Langford.  Final starter returning is center Matt Heldt, he’s an all around solid player and works hard without making many mistakes.. but he won’t blow you away in any area.   He’ll probably be seeing less time in this game than he played last year because Mu has seen some big upgrades down low.

Returning players from the bench include Theo John, Jamal Cain, and Greg Elliot (out for 8-12 weeks with thumb injury).  Jamal is a super athletic wing, he always seems to know where to be and has a crazy smooth three point shot.  Like many of MU’s bench, we don’t really give up much (or anything) when he comes in.  Theo John is a PF who has ridiculous upside that can block shots hard and is aggressive on rebounds.  Last year he didn’t see much playing time because of foul issues but he’s done a lot to clean that up already this year and he’s seeing significant minutes (taken from Heldt).  Watch for him and transfer Ed Morrow (Nebraska) to be bruisers against Morgan. 

New to the team are freshman Brendon Bailey (former 4*) just got back from a 2 year mission trip and is slightly rusty, but he has moments of outstanding play at both ends of the court.

Ed Morrow, previously mentioned transfer, is known for rebounding and defensive ability.  He’ll pair up with Theo John to neutralize Morgan.

Joey Hauser, brother of Sam, is a freshman.  He injured his foot last year during his senior year of high school and ended up coming to Marquette a semester early to take advantage of their top notch sports medicine and physical therapy progams and to get aquainted with the team and system early.  So technically, he’s a redshirt freshman.  More importantly, he was the top player out of Wisconsin last year and in the top 55 nationally.  As good as Sam is, many say he’s even better.

Finally Joseph Chartouny.  He’s a transfer from Fordham.  One of the best in the country in steals last  year.   Unlike Rowsey, who he is replacing, he’s a pass first guard and looks to control the floor more to make things happen.  Admittedly he’s looked kind of rusty and unsure of himself in the move… but should improve as time goes on.  Not sure how he’ll look for the game tomorrow.  At this point I’m guessing you won’t see a ton of minutes out of him.

Like I said earlier, and similar to IU, Marquette is DEEP, tall, and long!  You’ll probably be looking at a 10 man rotation and the level of play will not drop off.  This was going to be quite a battle but I’m wondering now if this is to MU’s advantage now with all of IU’s injuries.  I know they’ll look for Sacar to keep Romeo somewhat in check, and Theo and Ed Morrow to neutralize Morgan… from there I think the MU team has the advantage.   Except ofcourse… for Assembly Hall.   You’re right to hope your fans show up and show up loud to bring the advantage back to IU.    Without that… I think MU wins by 7.    J

Sounds like a Marquette fan decided to join our forum to talk some smack?  They rank em, we spank em.  Have a nice day

Welcome MU MKE.  This should be a good game between two teams just in or on the cusp of the top 25 hoping to move up.

Our injuries could be a factor.  The two that will definitely not play are Race Thompson, a redshirt freshman, and Jerome Hunter, a freshman.  Neither have played even a second in the regular season.  Hunter was expected to be an impact freshman, and Thompson is a stout young man who is expected to give us some strength and grit up front.  Two veteran players are day-to-day.  Zach McRoberts, a redshirt senior walk-on, has had some problems with back spasms, and he left our last game early in the first half because of those problems.  He is our best defensive player, and he will be making steals and knocking lots of balls loose if he's well.   Devonte Green our CG who plays PG mostly off the bench is athletic with good passing and shooting abilities, but he has been inconsistent throughout his career.  He's the younger brother of Danny Green (Raptors and formerly Spurs). 

Our defense is the strongest part of our game, but still a work in progress.

Our offense still needs work in half court, but if they feed the post, we have 3 players who are both an offensive threat down low and can pass out of the post to shooters or cutters.

We have not been shooting 3's and free throws well. 

But we are very athletic.

3 minutes ago, slojoe said:

Welcome MU MKE.  This should be a good game between two teams just in or on the cusp of the top 25 hoping to move up.

Our injuries could be a factor.  The two that will definitely not play are Race Thompson, a redshirt freshman, and Jerome Hunter, a freshman.  Neither have played even a second in the regular season.  Hunter was expected to be an impact freshman, and Thompson is a stout young man who is expected to give us some strength and grit up front.  Two veteran players are day-to-day.  Zach McRoberts, a redshirt senior walk-on, has had some problems with back spasms, and he left our last game early in the first half because of those problems.  He is our best defensive player, and he will be making steals and knocking lots of balls loose if he's well.   Devonte Green our CG who plays PG mostly off the bench is athletic with good passing and shooting abilities, but he has been inconsistent throughout his career.  He's the younger brother of Danny Green (Raptors and formerly Spurs). 

Our offense still needs work in half court, but if they feed the post, we have 3 players who are both an offensive threat down low and can pass out of the post to shooters or cutters.

Thanks for the rundown!    These two teams seem to be in an uncanny similar place right now.   MU is having some sloppy offensive play themselves.  I listed to Archie's radio show and his plan to try and put pressure on Howard to pass more and that's a good plan... because that's where things are really hurting right now.   We have been having tons of TO's so it could be a field day for IU if it works.   However, if it doesn't work... we have a ton of scoring options and that pressure could really open things up.   I'm excited to see this go down!

Milehiiu, didn't bother because fancy pants new arena's don't help when we're off to battle in the unfriendly confines of AH.  😄

2 minutes ago, MU MKE said:

Thanks for the rundown!    These two teams seem to be in an uncanny similar place right now.   MU is having some sloppy offensive play themselves.  I listed to Archie's radio show and his plan to try and put pressure on Howard to pass more and that's a good plan... because that's where things are really hurting right now.   We have been having tons of TO's so it could be a field day for IU if it works.   However, if it doesn't work... we have a ton of scoring options and that pressure could really open things up.   I'm excited to see this go down!

Milehiiu, didn't bother because fancy pants new arena's don't help when we're off to battle in the unfriendly confines of AH.  😄

Welcome! Should be a great game against two teams that will be in the big dance come March :) 

So if McBob can’t play, will we see a bigger starting lineup with Phinisee, Langford, Smith, Morgan, and Davis/Fitzner, or a smaller lineup with Phinisee, Green/Durham, Langford, Smith, and Morgan?  I would bet on the latter.

For what it’s worth, I haven’t seen anything indicating McBob won’t play, just speculating with his back strain.

25 minutes ago, slojoe said:

Actually race played a few minutes the other night

18 minutes ago, FW_Hoosier said:

So if McBob can’t play, will we see a bigger starting lineup with Phinisee, Langford, Smith, Morgan, and Davis/Fitzner, or a smaller lineup with Phinisee, Green/Durham, Langford, Smith, and Morgan?  I would bet on the latter.

For what it’s worth, I haven’t seen anything indicating McBob won’t play, just speculating with his back strain.

Have to think Green would be the one slotted in to the starting lineup.

54 minutes ago, FW_Hoosier said:

I think I'd rather see Fitzner get a chance to start.

2 hours ago, MU MKE said:

Yes, I know where the game is to be played.  The Carnegie Hall of Basketball.

Just thought our members would like to see your new digs, to go along with the good report you made on your team for us. 

Archived