Illinois

Underwood just got "Gordanized", just the way that Weber did with Sampson. Taylor Horton-Tucker announced for Iowa State. 

Even up to yesterday, THT was a lock for Illinois.  Then the Irvins from Mac Irvin Fire got involved somehow.  And changed the plan.

And now, instead of two 5 stars from the Chicago area, Underwood is left with one.  And the one that is left is disgruntled as he feels Underwood lied to him. 

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply
8 minutes ago, FKIM01 said:

Wow...what a soap opera that story was...

When you start letting AAU teams and players tell you who you can bring in, you are a loser. Underwood screwed the kid and himself because the best talent comes from Simeon. The more i see of Underwood the guy is a Scumbag.

I don't know if I would go to the extent of calling Underwood a scumbag..... just yet.  Waiting for the other shoe to fall out of OSU for that.

However, from what I am gathering.  Telling a five star  out of Chicago who played on an AAU team with another five star out of Chicago.... to commit because he would not recruit the second five star out of Chicago.... all the while he WAS recruiting the second five star out of Chicago....and thinking he could get away with it.... all the while alienating the first five star.... as well as not only the high school, but also the AAU program, both five stars played in... is really, really scumbag worthy.  And talking to my Illini buddies today.... they are incensed with Underwood. 

3 hours ago, milehiiu said:

Underwood just got "Gordanized", just the way that Weber did with Sampson. Taylor Horton-Tucker announced for Iowa State. 

Even up to yesterday, THT was a lock for Illinois.  Then the Irvins from Mac Irvin Fire got involved somehow.  And changed the plan.

And now, instead of two 5 stars from the Chicago area, Underwood is left with one.  And the one that is left is disgruntled as he feels Underwood lied to him. 

I wish I would have posted this info Saturday when it was told to me. When Ayo said yes it shoud have been painfully obvious THT wasn't happening. Kid wanted it others wouldn't allow. Anyway bigger issue now is Underwood is telling every recruit in Chicago or elsewhere that it's open season. His program is run my Mac Irvin. Embarrassing look if you ask me. I do feel for the kids. Useless pawns again.

35 minutes ago, milehiiu said:

Question now is this. Why did Underwood allow THT to come for an official visit,etc....last weekend if he knew from the get go that he wasn't going to have Ayo and THT on same team? MIF might have promised Underwood future recruits but what kind? Only 4 or 5 stars?

Plenty more to this story will come out. Needless to say. Simeon won't be sending any of their kids to Underwood for a looooong time. Considering the legacy of that school (Ben Wilson, Nick Anderson, etc...) it's a move that could get Underwood the short term recruit (Ayo) but cost him plenty down the road.

7 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

Question now is this. Why did Underwood allow THT to come for an official visit,etc....last weekend if he knew from the get go that he wasn't going to have Ayo and THT on same team? MIF might have promised Underwood future recruits but what kind? Only 4 or 5 stars?

Plenty more to this story will come out. Needless to say. Simeon won't be sending any of their kids to Underwood for a looooong time. Considering the legacy of that school (Ben Wilson, Nick Anderson, etc...) it's a move that could get Underwood the short term recruit (Ayo) but cost him plenty down the road.

I think Underwood was trying to play both ends against the middle.  In an attempt to establish pipe lines with Mac Irvin Fire, as well as Simeon.  He had to know of the bad blood between both families. Other schools sure as heck did. Hence other schools went after one recruit or the other, but not both.  In the end, Underwood, may have done more damage than good with both Mac Irvin Fire and Simeon. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, BruceDouglas said:

Thanks! Good to see some hoops discussion outside of a paywall.

I am glad you mentioned that.  We may not be first, with information. We for sure, in our third iteration, are not the largest.  But what makes us unique is that there is no charge to participate on HSN 3.0.  No irritating pop-up ads. In fact, no ads at all. And, as you say, no membership fees.  And we intend to keep it that way, as we continue to grow.

Judging by your avatar, and the fact that you were drawn to an Illinois thread..... I am going to guess that you are an Illinois fan.  And I just want you to know, you are always welcome here, so long as you abide by our rules.  We have and have had several fans of other fan bases that have become valued contributors here. 

1 hour ago, Proud2BAHoosier said:

Thinking Illini fans may be doing this to us now.....

Lot I don't understand. I will grant you that.  For instance, IU fails to make the NCAAT, loses in the NIT, and fires their HC.  Illinois fails to make the NCAAT, loses in the NIT, and fires their HC.

Yet. IU draws none other than Duke for the challenge.... while Illinois draws the worst team in the ACC for the challenge.

How many Illini from last year's team went on to the NBA ?  Honest question.  However I do know that IU lost three of their top scorers to the NBA. 

Granted IU is finding their way, right now.  But let's compare SOS, and experience.  

34 minutes ago, FKIM01 said:

Illinois has also played a schedule as soft as butter. Best win is DePaul at home and DePaul is nothing much thus far.

DePaul at #127 is their only opponent under 200 on RPI.

While IU's two losses came at the hands of Indiana State (ugh !) at 173. And Seton Hall at 25. 

• 2 weeks later...

Huge kudo's to Illinois. December 3, 2017.  Coming back from 22 down.  To taking the game into over time.  And then.... failing to put the game away in overtime.  Job well done.  Now you illini fans have a month to feel how it is to start the conference season out....0-2.  After starting out 6=-0.  Underwood, doing his best impression of Bruce Weber. Guy who set the world on fire, until conference games started. And some said Illinois was going to be good this year.  IU may be in the same position after Monday.   I hate this season's early conference start. 

Archived