Marquette Post game

• Replies 145
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Great win and an overall impressive showing.  The defensive rotations need a little work, but for a team that’s considered high powered, we played pretty good D.  It’s going to be fun watching this team grow over the course of the year.  RP is poised beyond his years, and runs the offense well.  He’s going to be huge over the next 4 years.

Just a few things.  First.... what a difference a year makes.  Last year,at the start of the season,  we were lamenting our defense. Now, IMHO our D is what will carry us through the season. Next, for those lamenting about De'Ron in the game thread. Need I remind you he is less than one year from a devastating injury ?   One that many of us thought he would not be recovered from till January or perhaps have to redshirt the year out...... plus, as I told you a few weeks ago.... he proved tonight that, yes... he can hit free throws. And lastly. Since season's start, I have had a crush on Fitzner. Now, I am starting to fall in love with the big guy. 

2 minutes ago, milehiiu said:

Just a few things.  First.... what a difference a year makes.  Last year,at the start of the season,  we were lamenting our defense. Now, IMHO our D is what will carry us through the season. Next, for those lamenting about De'Ron in the game thread. Need I remind you he is less than one year from a devastating injury ?   One that many of us thought he would not be recovered from till January or perhaps have to redshirt the year out...... plus, as I told you a few weeks ago.... he proved tonight that, yes... he can hit free throws. And lastly. Since season's start, I have had a crush on Fitzner. Now, I am starting to fall in love with the big guy. 

What is it with you and big guys Mile? :coffee:

Said it in game thread, but better here.  Top 25 team for sure. I think we'll see a few tiers as the season progresses. Duke,  then 2-10, then 10-25 and I think we're easily in that 10-25 tier.  Excited to see how we grow and build off this type of win. 

I love Fitz, even with his puzzling 2 min stretch late in the 1st half.  Romeo is smooth, Juwan is mature and RP is legit. 

Really strong performance. I think Marquette may be overrated, but still a really great performance, especially considering the injuries and how many new guys we had in that environment. 

A few quick thoughts. 

- I love Rob Phinisee. This kids is already so good, but wow he’s going to be a great player as he develops. He really reminds me of a classic Izzo point guard, which is a good thing. If I was TJD and Brooks I’d be begging to get my letter of intent in ASAP so I could play with Phinisee. 

- Langford was awesome, especially in the first half. He’s so smooth and finishes so well. He’s going to need to hit some jumpers/3’s though because good teams will start to sag.

- Fitzner’s shooting is so important for this team. 

- I thought Morgan was great. They were clearly not going to let him dominate as they were either straight double-teaming him or at minimum shading a guy to him, but Morgan didn’t force it, made some great passes and let the game come to him. 

- Really strong performance from Durham. Finished well, had a midrange going a bit, and played great D.

- Phinisee and Durham were fantastic in Howard. Already knew Durham could, but so impressed with Phinisee’s D 

Purdue free board is strangely silent about IU and Romeo tonight...:coffee:

Great win.  Marcus Howard's lack of efficiency is a blueprint on how players like Carson Edwards will get their team beat.

Love what I see from Romeo except (1) 1-5 from 3.  If he wants to be a lotto pick, he's got to adjust his touch from the outside.  He will...my suspicion is all that weight training altered his muscle memory and like Yogi, he'll figure it out and be all-around excellent.

Not much to pick on.  If they play as well against Arkansas, they'll easily be 4-0.

11 minutes ago, Hoosierhoopster said:

Guys just got in the door from a trip, missed the game — obviously a strong all-around game but can someone break down how our starting 3 guard lineup played, did Al play as well as it looks from his box, was Romeo pretty dominant in netting 22, and who / which players really stood out? 

10 minutes ago, Hoosierhoopster said:

Guys just got in the door from a trip, missed the game — obviously a strong all-around game but can someone break down how our starting 3 guard lineup played, did Al play as well as it looks from his box, was Romeo pretty dominant in netting 22, and who / which players really stood out? 

Al did play as well, if not better, than the box suggests.  He provided a level of stability that we would have never received from Devonte.  

Archived