Marquette Post game

• Replies 145
  • Created
  • Last Reply
59 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

A lot of positives, but I'll focus on a couple of negatives.

• 3 point shooting not counting Fitzner
  • Damezi's defense.  

That’s why i thought for sure that Anderson would be red shirted this year. His defense will get better in his time here because he is a kid with the right mindset. He’s all about winning. With that being said, Archie has already told us that his struggles are with defense, and learning to play defense a taotally new way is his biggest obstacle right now. I would guess his minutes will diminish as we get into conference games because he’s just not ready yet on that side of the ball. His high school coaches taught what amounts to Helter skelter defense...so the Riley team just had better athletes across the board and could afford to use only their speed and not the proper footwork or team defense that kids need at the next level. This kid will pick it up sooner rather than later though.

Strong win! I do think not having McBob hurts us, it's pretty obvious some of the other guys aren't to his level at this point. 

I'm also very skeptical of the Davis and Fitzner lineups. I just don't think they're a good fit together. 

Morgan is SO good. He didn't light up the box score, but he was so impressive tonight. 

22 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

You know one thing that makes this team special?  Attitudes.  Not sure there is a single player that is selfish or carries the wrong attitude onto the court.  Just a pleasure watching this team.

Yes and that's the reason I think we can improve A LOT this season.

29 minutes ago, KoB2011 said:

Strong win! I do think not having McBob hurts us, it's pretty obvious some of the other guys aren't to his level at this point. 

I'm also very skeptical of the Davis and Fitzner lineups. I just don't think they're a good fit together. 

Morgan is SO good. He didn't light up the box score, but he was so impressive tonight. 

They weren’t tonight. But, there were occasions in the first two games they were effective. Also, there will be other games this season they will likely create matchup nightmares, perhaps Purdue and Wisconsin?

So many things to like... and it seems the best is yet to come.   Will be interesting to see how this group approaches the Duke game.  Looks like they can muster some "fight." Totally OK with that...  Easy to like this IU team... for their approach and results.  

I'll reiterate what I said in the pregame thread....we are vastly underrated.  We pounded/toyed with a good team ( I think they can be) by 20+, almost put a 100 on them....and the Hall was rocking. No one beats us at home last year.

Romeo is so special. Pure scorer. Rob P is going to remind Porkchop why you never take a local recruit for granted. I guess the reports of Al Durham's progress over the past summer were true. Can't wait until we get healthy. Awesome win and let's keep it going!

PS...I messed up in prediction thread. I thought we would win by 18. Apparently I didn't have enough confidence.

1 hour ago, Seeking6 said:

I'll reiterate what I said in the pregame thread....we are vastly underrated.  We pounded/toyed with a good team ( I think they can be) by 20+, almost put a 100 on them....and the Hall was rocking. No one beats us at home last year.

Romeo is so special. Pure scorer. Rob P is going to remind Porkchop why you never take a local recruit for granted. I guess the reports of Al Durham's progress over the past summer were true. Can't wait until we get healthy. Awesome win and let's keep it going!

PS...I messed up in prediction thread. I thought we would win by 18. Apparently I didn't have enough confidence.

Yeah agree 100%.  The only sucky thing is that we're likely without McRoberts and Green for at least a few weeks if not more and Hunter for who knows.  We're really going to miss McRoberts D against RJ Barrett.

I'm very impressed with Phinisee. His defense is astounding. There is just something about recruits from Indiana. They are simply basketball smart, and it shows on the court, especially defensively. I thought both Phinisee and Anderson wouldn't get too much PT, due to being a step behind defensively. Anderson still has some work to do, but he understands where he needs to be and what to do.

As much love as Phinisee is getting, Durham should be right there. 13 points, 5 assists, zero turnovers, and fantastic defense. This kid is steady. Doesn't make dumb plays. An absolute asset when he's out there.

Fitzner is impressive. Perfect fit for this team.

And this win was won without McRoberts (arguably our best defender), and Green. 

The cohesion on defense right now is really good.

5 minutes ago, dbmhoosier said:

Yeah agree 100%.  The only sucky thing is that we're likely without McRoberts and Green for at least a few weeks if not more and Hunter for who knows.  We're really going to miss McRoberts D against RJ Barrett.

Was that confirmed on McRoberts and Green for a few weeks? I guess I missed that. 

Phinisee and Langford >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Newkirk and Johnson

Its startling how much better these two freshmen are than those two seniors were.  What a win.

Archived