Marquette Post game

8 minutes ago, Hoosierhoopster said:

CAM said the team may be without McRoberts, Green, Hunter and Thompson for the rest of November. 

Not definite, but a possibility 

Thanks. I'd love to have them back asap but if it means making sure they are healthy for January....give them as much rest as possible. 

• Replies 145
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Overall a very very good game start to finish, my two cents:

• Rob P. is ahead of where lots of people expected him to be.  Plays with so much poise and confident.  Its a tough task guarding someone like Howard in your first big game of your collegiate career.  Someone mentioned it earlier, but the blueprint for Howard could be used for Carson Edwards. 
  • Fitzner can shoot the lights out and has some pretty post moves
  • Romeo last night on most of his shot hitting into the lane looked effortless, kid can score at will.  IMO only had one real bad decision when he decided to try a fast break on 2 defenders and ran straight into the defender.  Outside of that choice everything else was good. 
  • Durham played a heck of a game on both ends

Time to go down and win in Arkansas and move up them rankings and leap from Purdon't. 

4 minutes ago, dwtaylor1055 said:

Overall a very very good game start to finish, my two cents:

• Rob P. is ahead of where lots of people expected him to be.  Plays with so much poise and confident.  Its a tough task guarding someone like Howard in your first big game of your collegiate career.  Someone mentioned it earlier, but the blueprint for Howard could be used for Carson Edwards. 
  • Fitzner can shoot the lights out and has some pretty post moves
  • Romeo last night on most of his shot hitting into the lane looked effortless, kid can score at will.  IMO only had one real bad decision when he decided to try a fast break on 2 defenders and ran straight into the defender.  Outside of that choice everything else was good. 
  • Durham played a heck of a game on both ends

Time to go down and win in Arkansas and move up them rankings and leap from Purdon't. 

I forgot to mention how well Fitzner played in my earlier post....glad you did because he's a perfect fit for us. Makes me kind of hope that our staff always holds one scholarship in the spring just in case we want to add a grad transfer.

I did not see Race or Hunter on the bench last night and was wondering where they were at.  I guess with Race if he has a concussion it would be best to stay out of a loud building and the lights.

RP is a great point guard who we will get to see for 4 years hopefully and see him grow into a star player.  I know some people who did not think that RP would be able to contribute much his freshman year but I always thought he could be our Trey Burke.  Fitzner was a great pickup who gives us great shooting and experience.  Today Anderson looked like he was not ready to be a contributor against the top teams.  It seemed like every time that he was in was the time that Marquette would make a run.

Romeo and Morgan are great players and just make everyone around them even better and I feel like this team will meet or exceed my expectations for this year.

If Villanova and Marquette supposed to be the best in the Bid East then that conference might be in some trouble this year.

I guess it was not those burritos for lunch Tuesday that I was feeling when my gut said 20 plus point win. There is something very very special about this group. I think we will lose a couple we shouldn't but can play with anyone in the country including those devils in Durham, even inside that crackerbox of an arena.

Let's enjoy a special team and fun basketball to watch. It's a great time to be a Hoosier. I couldn't sleep after listening to the game.

The MU radio guys had plenty of positive things to say about our team

2 minutes ago, Billingsley99 said:

I guess it was not those burritos for lunch Tuesday that I was feeling when my gut said 20 plus point win. There is something very very special about this group. I think we will lose a couple we shouldn't but can play with anyone in the country including those devils in Durham, even inside that crackerbox of an arena.

Let's enjoy a special team and fun basketball to watch. It's a great time to be a Hoosier. I couldn't sleep after listening to the game.

The MU radio guys had plenty of positive things to say about our team

This is probably the unhealthy side of my IU fandom....but knowing we have a good team (short and long term) is very healthy for my brain and those around me. Sure...we'll lose some but knowing deep down that we have the framework for a nice season feels really good. Just need to get and stay healthy.

11 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

This is probably the unhealthy side of my IU fandom....but knowing we have a good team (short and long term) is very healthy for my brain and those around me. Sure...we'll lose some but knowing deep down that we have the framework for a nice season feels really good. Just need to get and stay healthy.

I agree. I  went to bed so jacked up all i could think about was IU BASKETBALL 

13 minutes ago, RoadToZion said:

Al and Phinisee are the real deal.

Al's performance will get looked over because of how good Phinisee was, but Al was GREAT last night. Very efficient. 

I recall that you and several others were so high on RP when we signed him  and I think we will be saying similar things about AF in the future

So much that can be said about last night. Much of it already has but I'd like to add CAM as deserving of some kudos. He had a short roster ready to go. Even -4, our depth still showed. 5 in double figures and solid contributions from 7. MU tried to switch defenses to no avail. Wojo said they failed their first test miserably. Archie, OTOH, passed with flying colors. He was spot on earlier saying chemistry was going to be important. With so many pieces to the puzzle (at last!), players will have to be patient and put the team first. When that happens, like it did last night, good things will result.

1 minute ago, Seeking6 said:

Make me think Seeking ...   

Having a team featuring several in-state kids-  that can play both ends with IQ and effort is what some other fanbases referred to as "living too much in the past" unless I'm mistaken.   When we demanded these things under recent coaches we got chided for it pretty hard. 

Funny, I  don't hear everyone laughing at our fanbase for it now.

12 minutes ago, rico said:

One word describes the game last night....."Confidence".  The young guys got a big dose of it whipping a quality opponent.  Time to turn their sights on Arky........and I love me some bacon.

I noticed the guys did not appear to be rattled when MU would make some runs and get the score in single digits. That was impressive, IMO.

BTW, I thought De'Ron looked good, even hitting his FT's!!

I expected we'd beat them by 20 in Assembly Hall. But what I didn't expect was how well we contained Markus Howard without Green in the lineup. 

This team is unselfish, and that starts with our captain Juwan Morgan. To me, he was the unsung hero. He played hard but never forced anything. He literally let the game come to him. 

Coach Miller really recruited talented and also SMART players, which many of us here lamented for years. I was screaming with joy like a little boy right in front of TV (my son told me, "Dad, you're scaring me!") when Romeo and Rob took it inside and finish. We all knew Romeo would be very good, but what Rob showed against a marquee opponent was WAY beyond his years. Rob's got a VERY matured game and his basketball IQ is off the chart!

With Rob and Al playing well, we have great depth in all positions. When Green comes back, if he doesn't play up to his potential or pushes his 'fancy' style, Archie doesn't need to play him. Last year, he didn't have that option. 

I'm expecting from next week to end of this season, we'll be staying in top 25. 

51 minutes ago, ColtsIUDomer said:

I probably missed it somewhere, but did we ever find out what Hunter's injury is?  I've been really looking forward to seeing him in action..

No, we don't know, yet.  CAM said they expect a diagnosis shortly.  From what he said it sounded like he had some underlying medical condition that was causing the problem i.e., it wasn't just an injury.

11 minutes ago, jblaz13 said:

Make me think Seeking ...   

Having a team featuring several in-state kids-  that can play both ends with IQ and effort is what some other fanbases referred to as "living too much in the past" unless I'm mistaken.   When we demanded these things under recent coaches we got chided for it pretty hard. 

Funny, I  don't hear everyone laughing at our fanbase for it now.

We in Indiana always say high school players here are just different than most states. We grew up with great college coaches and high school coaches taught fundamental skills. As a coach I coukd find a place for almost any of my starters to play at the next level. So many college coaches D1 to D3 NAIA. will say kids from Indiana are just different. Almost all successful women's programs have Hoosiers in their program.  I think CSU had a coach that left to go to UL and while at COLORADO STATE he told me he could be competitive in his league with just girls from Indiana. 

I love that our fanbase rallies around the local talent. In no way a knock on any out if state player. It's nice seeing our kids play D1 basketball in OUR state 

9 minutes ago, RoadToZion said:

I was. I've been high on both Al and Rob for a while.

I'll be honest, I don't know too much about AF. But he has a good one to learn from in Rob....

I see so many good things in him. I wanted him over Newman from the start. First our team I feel he is w better fit. You are correct to get any minutes next year he is going to have to earn them.

2 hours ago, 5fouls said:

Rob Phinisee's assist to turnover ratio so far this season is 3.5 to 1.

Remember when some on this board lamented the fact some point guard from Minnesota (?) that Archie had been  recruiting, went somewhere else?  I LOVE the fact that the Boilers are going to be watching Rob for the next few years.

Just now, MU MKE said:

Well that didn't go as planned...  Romeo looks like the real deal.  IU's defense kept MU off balance and kept them from getting very hot.    Sad to say, IU definitely looked like the better team last night.  Congrats and good luck this season.

Good luck with your season as well. Not the first nor last ranked team that will leave Assembly Hall with a loss this year. 

5 minutes ago, MU MKE said:

Well that didn't go as planned...  Romeo looks like the real deal.  IU's defense kept MU off balance and kept them from getting very hot.    Sad to say, IU definitely looked like the better team last night.  Congrats and good luck this season.

Thanks for coming over and giving your views.  Despite our big win I still think you guys are a top 25 team.  You have a big 3 on this team, and the rest of the team needs to find their roles.

7 minutes ago, Muddy River said:

Remember when some on this board lamented the fact some point guard from Minnesota (?) that Archie had been  recruiting, went somewhere else?  I LOVE the fact that the Boilers are going to be watching Rob for the next few years.

McKinley Wright...he was going to Dayton and then Arch landed  here.

I found these coaches comments on the Marquette 247 page. Nice compliments for IU.

IU dominates MU 96-73 win/ Hausers 18 pts each/ Wojo radio show

ByJOHN DODDS 11 hours ago 

Marquette had only 8 assists on 25 FGM….IU really made it tough for MU to shoot. 

IU had 18 assists

IU had 21 fast break pts…MU had 5…

IU got out in transition.

Here is the Wojo post game radio show with Steve ‘the Homer’ True and Tony Smith on 94.5 WKTI.

Homer: This one was pretty easy to see…you just cannot let a team shoot that well.

Wojo: ‘”Yeah, we played very poorly but you have to credit Indiana for that.  Anytime you come on the road you spot a team 15 pts that is not the way to get it going. We talked about a couple things before the games…1] was our transition defense….and their transition defense was fueled by turnovers and bad shots….thru the first 6 min of the game..all we did was have turnovers and bad shots….and that led out to run outs…and when you have lay ups, the basket starts to get bigger…. #2] the second thing we talked about was protecting the paint because IU was a team that scored in the paint…and they got 52 pts in the paint….and the third thing we talked about…was getting really physical…and I thought we were a really soft basketball team.  When your team plays like that…it falls on my shoulders…I have to get it corrected and get it corrected soon. ..our schedule does not get any easier..

Homer: even with that start, there were times you fought back into the game….

Wojo…”We got it back to a three possession game and then we reverted to bad shots and costly turnovers and that got them back out in transition and they would stretch it to 14 or 15…I essentially used all of my time outs in the 1H. We did not have much left. It was a very disappointing performance …we should not have a team play like that.

Tony Smith…They were able to get easier shots and you had tougher shots to make…see this with only 8 assists…what did they do defensively to make it so difficult for you?

Wojo: “They are a really good defensive team and they really make you work on offense so you are not going to score on the first side….that is not something that we grasped tonight…when we did realize this and moved the ball we did get better looks…but did not do it nearly enough.

Homer…how did they[players] take it..after the game[

Wojo: “I think our guys were disappointed and embarrassed…and they should be both.

Homer…you would like to play tomorrow and get over this one..

Wojo: “Adversity will strike during the basketball season. You will have poor games. Indiana had a great game and that is the reality of it…all we can do is respond with greater character than we did tonight.

Start the Conversation 

">247Sports

Archived