Marquette Post game

1 hour ago, FW_Hoosier said:

Phinisee and Langford >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Newkirk and Johnson

Its startling how much better these two freshmen are than those two seniors were.  What a win.

For sure man. Add in the progression of Smith and Durham and the addition of Fitzner and we have a really solid team. 

• Replies 145
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Marquette fan here, great game last night IU has a talented roster headed in the right direction. Langford is unreal enjoy him for the year that he’s at Indiana. Good luck the rest of the season and please beat Wisconsin both times you play them. Now that Crean is gone I don’t have a hard time rooting for Indiana.

"1. Indiana is potentially deeper and more talented than anticipated"

https://collegebasketball.nbcsports.com/2018/11/14/three-takeaways-from-indianas-blowout-win-over-no-24-marquette/

" Indiana looked just as efficient offensively, just as effective defensively and just as overwhelming overall against a ranked foe."

https://gomarquette.com/news/2018/11/14/mens-basketball-no-24-marquette-falls-96-73-at-indiana.aspx?path=mbball

““He’s a stud,’’ Indiana coach Archie Miller said when asked about the way Phinisee played"

http://www.heraldbulletin.com/sports/indiana-pounds-no-marquette---in-gavitt-games/article_2bfc737e-e88b-11e8-925d-031afbac3ca9.html

1 hour ago, jblaz13 said:

Make me think Seeking ...   

Having a team featuring several in-state kids-  that can play both ends with IQ and effort is what some other fanbases referred to as "living too much in the past" unless I'm mistaken.   When we demanded these things under recent coaches we got chided for it pretty hard. 

Funny, I  don't hear everyone laughing at our fanbase for it now.

Be so nice if kids today would stay like they did in the 80's and 90's because thinking we would have our backcourt set for 4 years with RP and Romeo.

1 hour ago, Reacher said:

"1. Indiana is potentially deeper and more talented than anticipated"

https://collegebasketball.nbcsports.com/2018/11/14/three-takeaways-from-indianas-blowout-win-over-no-24-marquette/

" Indiana looked just as efficient offensively, just as effective defensively and just as overwhelming overall against a ranked foe."

https://gomarquette.com/news/2018/11/14/mens-basketball-no-24-marquette-falls-96-73-at-indiana.aspx?path=mbball

““He’s a stud,’’ Indiana coach Archie Miller said when asked about the way Phinisee played"

http://www.heraldbulletin.com/sports/indiana-pounds-no-marquette---in-gavitt-games/article_2bfc737e-e88b-11e8-925d-031afbac3ca9.html

I think CAM is going to run out of superlative adjectives to describe Phinisee the rest of the year.

"The Hoosiers possess a mixture of young talent and veteran experience that should give them a chance to win every time they take the floor.

Year two of the Archie Miller era is off to a roaring start."

https://www.si.com/college-basketball/2018/11/15/indiana-basketball-romeo-langford-archie-miller-marquette-basketball

Good article. Not quite sure I agree with the part about D.A.s defense but nice to see the national guys taking notice.  

2 minutes ago, AshtonHershey said:

I'm impressed with Romeo overall, but disappointed with his three-point shooting so far on the season: 2-12 (17%). Hopefully he can get hot from outside soon. 

I've referenced this analogy before, but remember Yogi and how many 3's he clanged early on?  There was considerable speculation that the weight program added muscle and literally messed up his muscle memory for shooting.  Adding to that, he missed a lot of shots off the back of the iron.  Once he got used to his new arm strength, he started nailing 3's consistently.

I haven't paid enough attention to Romeo to see if he's just a bit long on his shots or not (I may watch the replay tonight to do that and enjoy the beatdown again), but his general form looks great and I suspect it's just a matter of a temporary adjustment.  Either way, we'll know for sure soon.

18 hours ago, Snozzwangers_und_covfefe said:

Also, it's only 3 games in, but comparing Yogi's stats freshman year to RP....I really hope RP improves with a similar trajectory yogi did. 

As good as Yogi became by his senior year, there is no comparison of Rob the Freshman v Yogi the Freshman.

Yogi was frequently out of control, I vividly remember his patented drive under the basket and hang in the air with nowhere to pass it move. Yogi also tended to force a fair amount of bad shots- certainly at least in part due to the emphasis of the offense run at the time.

Rob seems to play much more under control, doesn’t seem to force things, and lets the game come to him. He is a pass first pg who takes shots within the context of a more disciplined offense.

IMO, Rob is ahead of where Yogi was as a frosh.

12 minutes ago, FKIM01 said:

I've referenced this analogy before, but remember Yogi and how many 3's he clanged early on?  There was considerable speculation that the weight program added muscle and literally messed up his muscle memory for shooting.  Adding to that, he missed a lot of shots off the back of the iron.  Once he got used to his new arm strength, he started nailing 3's consistently.

I haven't paid enough attention to Romeo to see if he's just a bit long on his shots or not (I may watch the replay tonight to do that and enjoy the beatdown again), but his general form looks great and I suspect it's just a matter of a temporary adjustment.  Either way, we'll know for sure soon.

Everything I’ve ever been taught in basketball is that weight training is not going to impact your shooting at all, assuming you’re working on shooting in conjunction with weight training, which we can assume Yogi did and Langford is. Teams I was on always lifted hard in the offseason and also lifted albeit lighter during the season. Man pros lift on game days. 

6 minutes ago, BGleas said:

Everything I’ve ever been taught in basketball is that weight training is not going to impact your shooting at all, assuming you’re working on shooting in conjunction with weight training, which we can assume Yogi did and Langford is. Teams I was on always lifted hard in the offseason and also lifted albeit lighter during the season. Man pros lift on game days. 

Interesting.  I'm sure they continue to shoot, but I can't help but wonder as significantly different as many college weight training programs are from what these kids are used to in high school if there's not an adjustment period to get past before the shots start falling again.  Obviously it doesn't impact everybody, but something was making Yogi's shots consistently long early in his IU career...?

1 hour ago, AshtonHershey said:

I'm impressed with Romeo overall, but disappointed with his three-point shooting so far on the season: 2-12 (17%). Hopefully he can get hot from outside soon. 

This is JMO weightlifting aside....Romeo is in a different realm now.  That is to say that the competition is quite better than what he saw and competed against in HS.  I would just say that he is adjusting to it.  He will have to adjust again when he gets to the next level.  

11 hours ago, MU MKE said:

Well that didn't go as planned...  Romeo looks like the real deal.  IU's defense kept MU off balance and kept them from getting very hot.    Sad to say, IU definitely looked like the better team last night.  Congrats and good luck this season.

You have a good team. I look forward to seeing your team come March. I don’t know if you will face a defense as quick and ready to play as ours. It was a great effort one even I didn’t expect. I doubt Howard will ever be bottled up like that again this year. Keeping him under wraps limited the rest of your offense. You have some nice players and some great shooters...lucky we didn’t give them a chance to warm up. Good luck the rest of the way.

I could be absolutely wrong but what I would point to more than any lifting or quicker longer competition is the fact Romeo doesn’t always get squared up when shooting. He is awesome shooting off balance and not with a squared base on his jumpers in the lane and on the move. Maybe it’s me but he seems to not have his body in what I would call a great shooting position on his threes. He is almost a little lazy in his preparation to be ready to catch and shoot. I also think he is a little narrow with his base too (feet to close together) on that 3. Again shooting is more repetition and feel but it just seems like there are a few things that look a bit ackward to me...but then again he hits shots that he has no business hitting so I got no way to explain it. He is more of a scorer than shooter....but if he gets comfortable with that shot...he will be unguardable.

5 hours ago, Steubenhoosier said:

As good as Yogi became by his senior year, there is no comparison of Rob the Freshman v Yogi the Freshman.

Yogi was frequently out of control, I vividly remember his patented drive under the basket and hang in the air with nowhere to pass it move. Yogi also tended to force a fair amount of bad shots- certainly at least in part due to the emphasis of the offense run at the time.

Rob seems to play much more under control, doesn’t seem to force things, and lets the game come to him. He is a pass first pg who takes shots within the context of a more disciplined offense.

IMO, Rob is ahead of where Yogi was as a frosh.

Would agree that - so far, as we're really only a couple or so games in - Rob looks to be ahead of where Yogi was as a frosh. It's still pretty early, but overall his control and decision-making appear better.

However, the real question, imo, is how does his upside compare -- can he reach the level Yogi reached or exceed it? It's way early to be able to draw a good conclusion on that question, imo, and for me it's the bigger one. Yogi became a genuinely elite scoring point, and, obviously, an NBA - level point guard. Will Rob P get to that level? He has a heck of a foundation, for sure, but that's a wait and see.

29 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

Romeo is not a high percentage 3 point shooter, nor will he be during his IU career.  We just need to appreciate him for what he is, which is one of the best pure scorers ever to play at IU.

I don't know Fouls -- Vic wasn't by any measure a high percentage 3-point shooter. He became a 43% shooter while at IU.

I know Romeo wasn't an elite HS 3-point shooter, but he has good form and elevation.  

I think it's fair to say that since Romeo is probably lottery - bound, then his "IU career" will only be one season and he won't be a high percentage shooter this year, and maybe that's all you're saying here, but if for whatever reason he were to stay 2 seasons, I can see him being a high percentage outside shooter, and I'd put money on him becoming a consistent shooter in the League. 

I think the main difference between yogi and rob is coaching. Quoting from one of the greatest sports movies ever made Remeber the Titans, “Attitude reflects leadership, cap’n.” Rob seems like a very coachable kid and is applying what his coach is wanting, as are MOST of the players. If yogi had been this disciplined as a freshman, their may be another elite eight/final four in IU’s history. That being said, yogi was really good as a senior and won games because of his play. I hope rob does the same in the future, the near future. There is something calming about watching him play. I was nervous the whole game but I feel like that was from years of clapping and turnovers.

2 minutes ago, Hoosierhoopster said:

I don't know Fouls -- Vic wasn't by any measure a high percentage 3-point shooter. He became a 43% shooter while at IU.

I know Romeo wasn't an elite HS 3-point shooter, but he has good form and elevation.

I think we are in agreement.  His form is too good to be a low % 3 point shooter for long.  He will figure it out.  Hopefully it's soon instead of the next level.

3 minutes ago, Hoosierhoopster said:

I think it's fair to say that since Romeo is probably lottery - bound, then his "IU career" will only be one season and he won't be a high percentage shooter this year, and maybe that's all you're saying here, but if for whatever reason he were to stay 2 seasons, I can see him being a high percentage outside shooter, and I'd put money on him becoming a consistent shooter in the League. 

I don't know fouls' thought or pretend to....but right here right now Romeo reminds me of a young MJ with one exception.  Jordan had some great talent around him.  And I mean All-American talent.

8 minutes ago, Hoosierhoopster said:

I think Romeo's 3 point game will develop while he is in the NBA, not at IU.  He's certainly not going to get that 3rd year of development in college that Vic had.

Hasn’t Schilling been touted as a great skill developer for guards?  One of the few things that’s been kind of disappointing thus far in Archie’s tenure has been the shooting, both from three and from the line, obviously.  If Schilling is as good as advertised, shouldn’t he have a scorer as skilled as Romeo shooting better than he has been?  Obviously there’s a lot of season left, but I think that’s something to keep an eye on.

Archived