Rob Phinesse

3 hours ago, HoosierJax said:

What a complete game he had,I'm not sure what he ended up being ranked but you can throw it out the window,the guy is a player and couldn't fit any better into what CAM is trying to do..I know he will have his ups and downs as the season goes along but he really impressed last night..thought?

Perfect example of where team fit is significantly more important than recriuiting ranking.  A lot of people were on record on this board lamenting having to 'settle' for Phinisee after Garland said no.  Others strongly suggested that Green had to be our PG or we were in trouble.  Goes to show why the coaches coach and we do not.

5 hours ago, HoosierJax said:

What a complete game he had,I'm not sure what he ended up being ranked but you can throw it out the window,the guy is a player and couldn't fit any better into what CAM is trying to do..I know he will have his ups and downs as the season goes along but he really impressed last night..thought?

He's alright.

😀

Romeo might be the star of this freshman class...meat of our stew if you will...but Robert is the base...he is going to be the guy that enhances the flavor and skills of all those playing with him...and without him well this team won’t be nearly as good. You can add a different meat...make a different soup but the base will enhance the flavor of whatever is cooked with it...and that will be Robert for us for the next 4 years...first to Romeo then to Trayce and Keion and later to others. He is going to be the cornerstone Archie will build this program on. He is my favorite Hoosier and I think he will have as big s recruiting impact as Romeo because he will have guys clamoring to play with him the next 3 years long after Romeo is in the NBA.

6 minutes ago, dgambill said:

Romeo might be the star of this freshman class...meat of our stew if you will...but Robert is the base...he is going to be the guy that enhances the flavor and skills of all those playing with him...and without him well this team won’t be nearly as good. You can add a different meat...make a different soup but the base will enhance the flavor of whatever is cooked with it...and that will be Robert for us for the next 4 years...first to Romeo then to Trayce and Keion and later to others. He is going to be the cornerstone Archie will build this program on. He is my favorite Hoosier and I think he will have as big s recruiting impact as Romeo because he will have guys clamoring to play with him the next 3 years long after Romeo is in the NBA.

Every once in a great while you get a special PG.  I have seen a few in my lifetime.  As far as Phin, from what I am seeing so far I put him right up there with Buckner, Thomas, and Yogi.  And I hope he surpasses those guys.  Ya just never know.

4 hours ago, 5fouls said:

Perfect example of where team fit is significantly more important than recriuiting ranking.  A lot of people were on record on this board lamenting having to 'settle' for Phinisee after Garland said no.  Others strongly suggested that Green had to be our PG or we were in trouble.  Goes to show why the coaches coach and we do not.

I wasn’t really upset about losing out on Garland, but I’ll admit that I didn’t at all anticipate Phinisee being this good this quickly.  Figured it would take him a little more time to adjust to the college game... But he’s seized his opportunity with Green out, and I don’t see him relinquishing it for the rest of his time at IU.  Really impressive what he’s brought to the table this early in his career.

21 minutes ago, rico said:

Every once in a great while you get a special PG.  I have seen a few in my lifetime.  As far as Phin, from what I am seeing so far I put him right up there with Buckner, Thomas, and Yogi.  And I hope he surpasses those guys.  Ya just never know.

He reminds me of Chris Reynolds on defense...so quick and great hands. Not sure on offense yet but in time he may end up scoring and distributing like Yogi...minus the turnovers. He is off to a great start. Let’s just not put too much on the kid..I’m hoping Green comes back soon to keep him fresh and take some pressure off him. Just so I don’t forget.....Al was awesome last night too!!

Ok, Rob has looked PHENOMONAL the first 3 games, but its only been 3 games.  I dont want to put any undue expectations on him.  If these first games are closer to his floor than his ceiling then we are going to be dangerous.  But, sooner than later, he is going to become a key stop on defense for the other team.  Lets see how he handles that and teams like UM, MSU....and even Duke.  If he stays consistant against the MonStars at Duke im all for plans being drafted for his 4 year throne and statue.

1 hour ago, 3Ballin said:

Ok, Rob has looked PHENOMONAL the first 3 games, but its only been 3 games.  I dont want to put any undue expectations on him.  If these first games are closer to his floor than his ceiling then we are going to be dangerous.  But, sooner than later, he is going to become a key stop on defense for the other team.  Lets see how he handles that and teams like UM, MSU....and even Duke.  If he stays consistant against the MonStars at Duke im all for plans being drafted for his 4 year throne and statue.

Scared me. I thought you were going to say plans for being drafted--as in the NBA! I'm fine with a statue 😁

6 hours ago, rico said:

You cannot be serious. ONE good game (that's not against a team like incarnate word, etc.) and he's up there with Isaiah and Buckner? I really like him so far too; but my goodness some of you guys jump the gun so bad it's pretty funny. 

7 hours ago, rico said:

Rob has really has succeeded all my expectations so far! To me, he already has the muscle as a freshmanlike Yogi did as a senior

Yogi is currently listed at 6' 180 lbs. with the Mavs. Rob is currently listed at 6' 1" and 182 lbs. Who knows, but I have heard of some players growing a few inches while in college. Rob appears, already ahead of the game with his PG body type. He could be the next Yogi 2.0. I know it is still early, but it sure is nice so far!

23 minutes ago, hoosier8760 said:

You cannot be serious. ONE good game (that's not against a team like incarnate word, etc.) and he's up there with Isaiah and Buckner? I really like him so far too; but my goodness some of you guys jump the gun so bad it's pretty funny. 

I said so far....and please spell Zeke's name correctly.

17 minutes ago, hoosier8760 said:

I want to see how he does at Duke, at Purdue, at MSU, etc. If he can be tough as nails in those places and help us win 2 or 3 road games in very hostile environments on our way to contending for a B1G title, then we can start elevating his status.

Yogi was a really good player for 3 years, but it really wasn't until he led the team to the conference title (his second) his senior year that his status was solidified.

3 hours ago, hoosier8760 said:

I totally agree. Pump the brakes.

I'm not pumping the breaks on Rob, I'm flooring the gas.  He's awesome.  

It's not even the stats, it's just the fact that he looks so comfortable with the ball.  As great as Yogi was-as a freshman-he looked a little jittery with the ball.  

When a freshman looks at ease running the offense against a top-25 team- that's special.  The hype is 100% appropriate

1 minute ago, Blazin Hazin said:

It's not even the stats, it's just the fact that he looks so comfortable with the ball.  As great as Yogi was-as a freshman-he looked a little jittery with the ball.  

When a freshman looks at ease running the offense against a top-25 team- that's special.  The hype is 100% appropriate

Absolutely.  I don't get why we are so quick to pour a bucket of cold water on this.  Phin has it.  If you can't see that, you're willfully blind.

Do I expect him to have a bad game?  Sure.  Do I expect him to continue to blow away expectations? You bet I do.

I’m just glad our PGs and players in general value taking care of the ball. They don’t leave their feet without a place to pass and omg...dont immediately drive the  ball to the baseline with no place to go. So so glad the Crean days are gone. If Al and Robert develop a good 3 pt shot....watch out!

16 minutes ago, FKIM01 said:

Absolutely.  I don't get why we are so quick to pour a bucket of cold water on this.  Phin has it.  If you can't see that, you're willfully blind.

Do I expect him to have a bad game?  Sure.  Do I expect him to continue to blow away expectations? You bet I do.

Agreed. He will have some bad games...but Howard is a deadly driver and can shoot. Honestly similar to C Edwards....and we took him out of the game. We had active hands which is big...I just hope we stay out of foul trouble because we can’t afford to lose him. So far though...WOW the kid is special...and I’m going to shout it from the roof tops! We have a PG!!!!!! A real fundamental old school PG!!!!

58 minutes ago, FW_Hoosier said:

Timely graphic...

96DF17D0-45F5-41E8-B917-CA8262B82ADC.jpeg

I very much remember Yogi's early shooting struggles and how frustrated he seemed about it.  He almost seemed too pumped up about things and he was off the back of the rim a lot.  Thankfully, he adjusted well later.

EDIT:  Looks Like Isiah was pretty wild early on.  I wonder how many of those TO's were followed by an immediate benching?

24 minutes ago, Blazin Hazin said:

I'm also on Rob Phinisee hype train. With that said, big 10 opponents will start studying films to find his weakness and try to exploit. Whether or not he can rise above the challenge remains to be seen, but what no one can deny is he exceeded expectations at this point. I think he'll struggle in some games, but he's fundamentally sound, has high basketball IQ, and has good enough athleticism to eventually overcome challenges. 

Archived