Rob Phinesse

5 minutes ago, FKIM01 said:

I very much remember Yogi's early shooting struggles and how frustrated he seemed about it.  He almost seemed too pumped up about things and he was off the back of the rim a lot.  Thankfully, he adjusted well later.

EDIT:  Looks Like Isiah was pretty wild early on.  I wonder how many of those TO's were followed by an immediate benching?

Like taming a wild colt I imagine! We always think of RMK of being so rigid etc but he could be flexible. I remember the Guyton years and thinking some of his shots Coach my choke him...no pun intended but he never did.

14 minutes ago, dgambill said:

Like taming a wild colt I imagine! We always think of RMK of being so rigid etc but he could be flexible. I remember the Guyton years and thinking some of his shots Coach my choke him...no pun intended but he never did.

Certain players have a little longer leash before the choking begins

1 minute ago, HSRecruitingNews said:

Hate to be that guy but i bet people were pretty optimistic about Curtis Jones after that Kansas game.  That being said I think Rob will be great and Purdue fans are gonna hate him lol

Totally different situation. Jones only 16 minutes in that Kansas game. He basically came in late due to foul trouble and hit some crazy shots in a big game. Phinisee has been running this team for 3 games and two exhibitions and been excellent nearly every step of the way. 

I think Rob is going to be really really good when he is done. My hot take will be that he will end up having as much of an impact on the team as Romeo.  He shows poise for a freshman that you certainly never saw from a Davonte Green, Robert Johnson, or Josh Newkirk. Rob Phinisee will be a lot of fun to watch these next four years. 

9 hours ago, hoosier8760 said:

You cannot be serious. ONE good game (that's not against a team like incarnate word, etc.) and he's up there with Isaiah and Buckner? I really like him so far too; but my goodness some of you guys jump the gun so bad it's pretty funny. 

So what you are saying is you aren't ready to put him in the top four point guards in iu history after just three games?  Ok, suit yourself.   🤣

4 hours ago, HSRecruitingNews said:

Hate to be that guy but i bet people were pretty optimistic about Curtis Jones after that Kansas game.  That being said I think Rob will be great and Purdue fans are gonna hate him lol

Then don’t lol!!! I think we all understand the point but everything we saw in high school and heard from his coaches and so far from Archie..he is going to be a calming force for this team. He just makes the right plays and is mature beyond his years. I can’t wait to see him progress!

I was really high on Rob as a recruit. Thought his national ranking was ridiculous. Thought he had a great chance to start right away. Wasn't worried about missing on Garland.

As much as I liked him, even I am surprised by how good he looks this early. Especially defensively.

23 minutes ago, Shooter said:

I was really high on Rob as a recruit. Thought his national ranking was ridiculous. Thought he had a great chance to start right away. Wasn't worried about missing on Garland.

As much as I liked him, even I am surprised by how good he looks this early. Especially defensively.

I’m mostly surprised with his physic. He is strong for a freshman pg. I mean I was worried he might be a little slight of build to guard in the B1G and finish but boy was I wrong. He will have some freshman set backs this year but I think overall he is going to be a nice surprise for the avg fan who came to watch Romeo but will get a treat to some great play from both our back court mates.

20 hours ago, FW_Hoosier said:

Timely graphic...

96DF17D0-45F5-41E8-B917-CA8262B82ADC.jpeg

It’s a heck of a start. 

It’s also way too small a sample size for any real comparison. 

Not saying I don’t like it — I do — and not saying Rob has not been the stud that CAM has called him. 

But also in the camp that is looking forward to seeing how well he plays and leads over the course of the season. Will the frosh wall hit him? How will he respond to being heavily scouted by opponents? That hasn’t happened yet, our roster has been in flux with injuries and the season had just begun. Tough games coming — would love to see his steady and surprisingly strong all around game continue.

from how he has played so far, i’m getting optimistic 

19 hours ago, addictedtoIU said:

What surprised me was Isiah had that many turnovers in 3 games and was not killed by Bob Knight. 

Zeke's first 3 games?  Miami(OH), Xavier, and UTEP.  Also keep in mind Isiah had already played for RMK in the '79 Pan-Am games.  Bobby knew what he had.

I am very optimistic after watching Rob these first 3 games.  He looks much better than Yogi did as a Freshman.  He may not be as dynamic of a scorer, but his decision making and passing has been much better.  3 games is not much, and I expect him to have some tough stretches, but he and Archie are the two who have me very excited for our future!

Archived